Revolt new motor RV 160 Pro

speedmd

10 MW
Heard back from Revolt on the new motor coming within the next few months. It is called the rv 160 pro. Aprox. 165 mm diameter, 125 mm long, 7-8kg and uses 0.3mm thick lamination's. Estimates are 20 -30 KW output. :twisted: $500 -600 target cost. Will post more details as they come. Looks like my first choice for that DH bike that has been sitting waiting for the right motor to come along. :D

rv160pro_zpswu3vl8ir.jpeg

Nice! Wind it for Sevcon's and make a Sin/Cos encoder optional for smooth low rpm control, or not. Maybe this will spur a new cheap high power controller. I hate programming Sevcon's

Would also like to see a large diameter in-runner and a hub motor from Revolt. They seem to have a good connection in China for making quality motors at great prices

flathill said:
Nice! Wind it for Sevcon's and make a Sin/Cos encoder optional for smooth low rpm control, or not. Maybe this will spur a new cheap high power controller. I hate programming Sevcon's

Would also like to see a large diameter in-runner and a hub motor from Revolt. They seem to have a good connection in China for making quality motors at great prices

Inrunner would be nice =)
But you cant argue with 20kw =) I want one...not sure what for....

Thinking it best to wind it as a easy to run motor that a lower priced 18 or 24 fet controller can run it well off the bottom. Low cost High power controller may still be a reach/wait. Kv near what the 120 pro comes with should be easy to gear for excellent drive in most of the low end speed range and with field weakening added, faster than most want to go. Could easily be the bridge between the standard utility ebike and motorbikes in performance. Weight looks reasonable also.

Interesting looking low cost controller.
HPC300H.jpg

Really excited about that 160 pro, but what kind of controller can give you bursts of 30 kw :?:
If this motor was wound like a dual 3 phase motor - like those hubmonsters from John in CR it would be easier to match the 160 pro with controllers as the load could be split between two controllers. But 25-30kw bursts of power and handled by one controller, my guessing is that there will be slim picking of controllers.

The folks running sevcon / zero's can tell you more what is involved with the high power supply controllers. Hoping these will run relatively easy at 10 -12 kw peaks with more mundane controllers /battery packs with current limited a bit to make them very ride-able in tighter situations.

Revolt is planning shorter versions of the 120 motor and also possibly looking at shortening the 160. True, a huge true pancake RC motor lineup. WOW! They plan to stay a 12N 14P configuration and roughly 30KV standard. Easy to gear down. Shaft end configurations customized upon request. Very responsive company.

macribs said:
Really excited about that 160 pro, but what kind of controller can give you bursts of 30 kw :?:
If this motor was wound like a dual 3 phase motor - like those hubmonsters from John in CR it would be easier to match the 160 pro with controllers as the load could be split between two controllers. But 25-30kw bursts of power and handled by one controller, my guessing is that there will be slim picking of controllers.

Hm,

36 fet greentime - maybe modded a bit
new line of chinese to247 controllers
lots of kelly's
some sabvotons
sevcons, size 2 and 4
golden motor vec500 and hpc500
maybe even some rc controllers

Lot of others that I can't think of right now...

A short version would be awesome. It's hard to mount even the rv120 non-pro on a swing arm without extending it a lot. The motor always interferes with the cranks. I dont like pedals that are >20cm apart :lol: or a wheelbase >130cm

Plz give us 0.3mm lams on the rv120 too!

Super newb here! Would this motor have the power/torque for a "lightweight" motorbike, say 125-150lbs?

Thanks!

First, before you get an answer from anyone, there's only one way to be sure. We're not aware of any build that big with the Revolt motors.

Let's say you could acquire an old Pagsta Mini-Harlee. Mine cost me $300 and it was near new condition. So you have this beautiful street legal 50cc bike that weighs something like 170 pounds. With that engine gone, you only need to go easy on the battery weight to stay around 150-170 pounds.

So you have to actually measure the diameter of the rear tire. If it proves to be near 20", you'll say that maybe 180rpm is 10mph. At 60mph that rear wheel spins 1,080rpm. I might think you'd set this up to this up to run the motor at 3,600rpm at that speed, so you need 3 teeth on the motor for every 10 at the wheel.

But is that motor hardy enough to work out? That 20kw is a peak, but I don' t think you'll need that to cruise around at 60mph on this thing. Can it really survive the acceleration again and again? SOMEONE has to do it first so we'll know.

DO report back to us. We're dying to hear.

Oh, Pagsta made their own version with a hub motor.

pagsta-11.jpg

Dauntless said:
But is that motor hardy enough to work out? That 20kw is a peak, but I don' t think you'll need that to cruise around at 60mph on this thing. Can it really survive the acceleration again and again? SOMEONE has to do it first so we'll know.

DO report back to us. We're dying to hear.

Thanks for the reply. I definitely will be posting/learning much more before I'm in a position report back. At first glance it seems like the smaller motors are more "cutting edge", but there is a gap from big RC motor to something more powerful (~35+ lbs and "old school design"). But I think that is a discussion for another thread.

I will keep an eye on this for the time being, it seems to be somewhere in that unoccupied middle region. I hope it makes it to market.

Any news about this? I think they aimed for revealing this week. Also they did a 160 short can.

Now we need a crazy ass controller that can push enough current to weld the bike onto a light pole :)

Came across this controller from Qs motor folks:

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=70258&p=1075236#p1075236

Or something like this:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/DC-motor-60V-120V-9000W-powerful-controller-for-e-bike-with-blue-tooth-programable-G-K065/32251620810.html

New line of chinese bldc controllers with big TO247 mosfets, they most probably have large tuning potential :D

riba2233 said:
Or something like this:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/DC-motor-60V-120V-9000W-powerful-controller-for-e-bike-with-blue-tooth-programable-G-K065/32251620810.html

New line of chinese bldc controllers with big TO247 mosfets, they most probably have large tuning potential :D

I wonder if this really can handle 120v? 60-120v seems kind of like a big gap. There was not mentioning of any of the hardware inside this controller. Think this will handle >28s? Also I can't find if the 9kw output is peak power or continuous power.

Wonder if it will be possible to do read outs over blue tooth as well? Showing speed, and whatever else info one would like?

Let's hope they are quick with their replies.

They probably have 150 V mosfets so yeah, they can handle 120 V nominal.There is also a 200 V max model:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/60V-200V-12000W-super-power-bldc-motor-controller-can-be-made-to-order-e-scooter-controller/1857656652.html

So you can have 144 V nominal.

Wonder if any here at ES has tested those controllers? As I on my first build it feels a little bit scary to be the first one using the controller. If there should be problems I would not know to fix, and likely hard to get help on the forum if no one else has tested it.

Only thing missing on the first one 120v controller is sine wave and field weakening.

I think john in CR tested them.

You have two options:

1. get a sinusoidal controller with lower voltage and higher current, same power (kelly, adapto...) Do you really need 120 V or higher? That can kill you, especially on bike where everything is cramped, and with non-proffesional built battery and instalations. It's between yout legs, remember that :D
2. use higher voltage and trapezoidal controller. Do you really need sine controller?

To be honest I don't need high voltage, it is just nice to know that is an option. But at lower voltage controller better have FOC to make up for the speed losses. I've been set on max-e controller the whole time both because of the power, features and the BMS - but when it came to actually shell out the cash, cash flow was slow. So price is the only reason I got wondering eyes at the moment and looking at other options. And if one can save almost 700 $ on a controller alone that means there is money left for tires, and batteries as well. :)

Back