Ridehax Podcast (was :Endless Sphere Podcast / Ebike Nerdcast)

Latest show is live with Pete Prebus. Lots of talk about all of the production bikes Pete is lucky enough to be able to demo: http://troyrank.com/2012/08/26/ebike-nerd-podcast-episode-24/

Two in one month Troy??! You're spoiling us man.

The Amberwolf episode was great. There's something about AW re-inventing utility from scrap that totally amazes me. I've actually got a a small tote in the basement labeled 'to Amberwolf.' Once I get enough good stuff in there, I'll parcel it.

Anyway, you know I love the show. Thanks so much to you and Greg for the contribution.

icecube57 said:
I just killed off the last 5 podcasts... Good work. Any insight on whos next.

We've been discussing direction in general. What do you guys like to heao
Do you like the 'news' topics, do you preferfform, is it really the interviews that make itcompelling?
I'd really like to hear feedback to that end. We have nothing lined up right now.

Its nice hearing forum member interview and their project. I really didnt care for the last one. No offense Good info on production bikes but nothing was in my price range to relate to... Just as you say we are ebike hackers. unless its affordable and hackable I really dont care about lol. I did however listen to All of Justins Interview in one sitting as i was burning the midnight soldering torch working on these harnesses. Made the time pass by really quick. I even went back and listened to the TRIP ACROSS CANADA Video.
I think if you can announce it ahead of time who you are going to interview we can forward questions and topics we would like hit to be more productive and structure but wandering conversation is awesome.

Dogman I would like to hear from.
SInce Luke has a contact with the Hobby King CEO that would be intresting...
Neptronix maybe.
Im always free.=P
Recumpence Indepth on RC Drives and reduction sytem Maybe we can get Kelper on this interview also.
Rob Holmes Rim and spoke and construction.
Goodrum Same as below...
Fetcher BMS Meanwell... any new projects
KingFIsh. His long range adventure
Big Moose.. Intresting electrical background. Nice hearing stuff i dont understand and people being put in their place from time to time
Hyena Business.. Frame Building... charger
John in CR Scooter Hubs
Jason Kraft @ Ebike Kit.
Illia maybe...
Other vendors in general... Electric Rider.. perhaps...
Lyen would be a plus... Kenny... good luck with that. Maybe that Greentime Guy... Keywin...
Amped bikes... Golden Motor Canad... not as a publicty or anything like that just to see how they think what drives them and what can we expect from them in the future.

That's really good feedback man. I totally understand that the hacker crowd wouldn't like the production bike talk as much. I'm not sure I present it very well. I think it's a really good element to have on the podcast now and again though. I feel that sometimes I turn a deaf ear to mainstream ebike stuff, and it's just too small a community to ignore anyone. If we continue the bi-monthly thing, maybe we'll do one news/production/business/fluff oriented podcast a month, and one hardcore technical/interview/hacker scene based podcast. It might work out well because the hardcore/hacker guys don't get too bored, and it allows some more casual electric bike guys to up their game or just enjoy and bring people together.

I've met some local folks lately who've really inspired me. They all have read ES, got ideas, built bikes, but haven't necessarily participated a ton in ES, and though they're hardcore hackers, haven't spent the time all of us have learning every tip and hack. So basically, I just don't want it to be an inside-boys club, we DO want it to foster the growth of the revolution!

Great feedback ice. Sounds like we're on the same page! Some of those folks we've done you know...

I wish we got methods. we almost had him and Luke. that woulda been epic. When he bailed methods wrote me: "just tell everyone i was a douche and didn't show." I love that guy! I didn't say it at the time but its too funny not to share. That and when i asked him about topics he said "I'm just going to talk about my itchy asshole the whole time." Lmfao.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. We are such a diverse community and so friggin global.scheduling interviews across shoo many time zones is probably the biggest challenge. that and our day jobs.

I'm a crappy podcaster but I love reaching out and chatting with folks on the forum.

I always enjoy them fellas :D was interesting to hear about the ready built machines though, I am liking the idea of the AEG motor very much, the sound was a bit hit and miss but that seems to be the way sometimes with Skype :roll: but on the main its great and its fine mostly.

I will listen to anyone fellas, its cool as I can listen at work without any issues so you ramble on as long as you like :) didnt Luke and Methods fall out a while back? may have been the reason for the no show

Now that Aussie Jester is back with us, I would like to hear an inteview with him about his projects. His threads are always good reading.
Another interesting bloke would be Philistine.

I like the member interviews. I want to hear from the hackers who put in their time on ES and help the new guys like both of you. I don't have a double E background so I am always listening for hacker tips.

I don’t waste my time listening if its info commercial s#it or a repeat guest. You got something good and interesting here, don’t over think it.

My top 3 would be Neptronix, Auraslip and Methods.

Enjoy listening and thanks for your time you put in to this.

Thanks for your input. We're going to continue with an every/other news/interview format. Keeping track of what's going on outside of the hacking sphere is healthy. I'm certainly not concerned with watering it down for a mass audience, but when I listen to podcasts, I like to keep up to date on things as well. We'll give it a try for a while.

The last podcast was quasi-news (recurring characters) and the next will be an interview with someone who's done many miles on an ebike...:)

I like the variety. If something doesn't look interesting I can always skip it, but I usually end up listening to it later when I have the time and find it was useful and interesting in some way.

One problem I've had is when loading them into my Sandisk Sansa Clip player the titles are missing or not consistent, and I can't tell the clips apart by whatever the player shows. It would be great if the titling was consistent and fixed on the old files and in chrono order, I want to listen to them again later, and the player plays on through so order is useful. This inexpensive player is excellent, just drag and drop the files onto it - when plugged in it shows as a drive.

the titles in the ID3 tags are usually just the number of the show (EG Episode 20). I don't put much more in the ID3 tags, because I didn't think many people really utilized them with all the meta rss data, but rss is really dead anyway I suppose... It works well for me in doggcatcher/ beyondpod etc which is the way I usually subscribe.

I'll be sure to pay more attention to this in the future.

I listen to them while making harnesses... suprising how many i could get through in one sitting 4-5. The person I enjoyed the most was Justin. I just like his character and spirit as a whole. He is just someone thinging outside the box. I would vote him for president vs my current choices. I want to hear about more hacks that are easily done by the more commone folk. Like would like to see you have small segmet on wiring upgrades you are just to lazy to do. Or wrong connection for the wrong jobs. What is appropriate and what you need to kill yourself. Kinda a you know what really grinds my gears about this and its like open game on stuff that we buy for our bike from the moto controllers wires connectors. I got alot of shit to say... in a much cleaner methods. of doing things. Im guilty of some and could share a few. I would like to ask lyen about the connectors he puts on his controller... I want an explaination why... why install them when they are going to be hacked off. The big spades can indeed handle the current but you lay the contacts the wrong way and then we have a mess on out hands. give us want we want on our controller. Not some proprietery BS. and why is it so hard to put silicone jacketed wire in from the start but we have some 80c Bs phase wires.... I could go on and on. xtreme modder controller but you kinda gotta suppor or atleast offer us some upgrade option that you dont mind doing .... trace upgrades... maybe a cooling fan for certain controllers you know are going to be produced. I guess he is in it for the bulk order but the custom ones that come through do get charge and arm and a leg. but then Put whatever u want my throttle and ebrakes but dont give some huge ass spade that h I think i could pull jason kraft from ebike kit... so he can get push som of his awesome kits and side projects. he is offerin another lithium battery from all cell. I woulld love to bench test their packs. considering some of his old packs are are still in service with ypedal. ,, lets get the agnisum guy with his kit with the a123s...20ah packs...

sorry if this makes no since... took my ambien pill and i get loopy and thoughts get scattered.

grindz145 said:
the titles in the ID3 tags are usually just the number of the show (EG Episode 20). I don't put much more in the ID3 tags, because I didn't think many people really utilized them with all the meta rss data, but rss is really dead anyway I suppose... It works well for me in doggcatcher/ beyondpod etc which is the way I usually subscribe.

I'll be sure to pay more attention to this in the future.

That's probably fine, perhaps it is the earlier ones that are blank, or something else, Maybe something after the Episode ## would be useful, name the guest or topic. On the Clip they don't display the filename, not sure which field they show but hard to navigate with no info there.

Anyway, great if the old ones could be consistent, they are worth listening to again. For example I got a lot more out of listening to the 'cast about the Greyborg now that I have one. :)

Icecube, are you volunteering :)?

I was honestly just thinking earlier that it would be cool to have a short "protip" section. Maybe you could record a little 30sec - 1 minute a couple of times a month and we'll include it.Wiring upgrades/mods etc, all would be fantastic. I'm certainly open to the idea :)

Episode 25 is live with KingFish! http://troyrank.com/2012/09/15/ebike-nerd-podcast-episode-25/

grindz145 said:
Episode 25 is live with KingFish! http://troyrank.com/2012/09/15/ebike-nerd-podcast-episode-25/
Thank you guys! It was an absolute honor to be invited and share :D

Here are some links to topics we discussed:

Please feel free to PM me for questions.

Again, with much appreciation – thank you gentlemen, and especially so to those folks that helped me along the way! 8)
All the best to you and yours, KF

Well done KF. I had some very positive comments come through from some buddies locally (not on ES). They particularly liked the quote " I feel like a stallion" :shock: :mrgreen: :wink:

yes very good podcast, had it on whilst out on my ebike today, audio was great this time too :D great to hear all about the bikes and the trips, keep it up fellas loving it :D please bug philistine to see if he would be up for a chat, he is a sharp wit and would be a lot of fun I am sure 8) gotta love the aussies they tend to say it like it is :mrgreen:

New episode is up with Pete Prebus and myself! http://troyrank.com/2012/10/05/ebike-nerd-podcast-episode-26/

There is a bunch of good stuff about the Interbike bicycle manufacturer show. Inlcuding a super-awesome Xtracycle sidecar that I HAVE to get! :)

We upped the game a bit with the audio as well.

New Episode with John Rob Holmes!

http://troyrank.com/2012/10/14/ebike-nerd-podcast-episode-27/

Woohoo! Awesome Episode. I had to edit in some post-podcast talk about wheelbuilding!

Back