rider weight

Sorry, even a dumbass yank like me can figure out kilos, but I never had a clue how many pounds or kilos a stone is.

But we can say that a small motor like that will struggle up very steep hills, even with a 200 US pounds rider. But less steep, it will do fine, particularly if you also do moderate pedaling.

Weight on the flat ground still matters, but a lot less than when climbing hills. Even heavy bikes can cruise 15 mph on flat ground using little power. Getting it going takes more if heavy, but cruising is not so bad.

Lebowski said:
what is a 'stone' ?

14 lbs, so 6.35kilo

so 16 stone 102kilo

The Americans changed some of the old imperial system..but not all. I believe I was told the other day that US imperial ton is different to an original ton, which is different to a metric tonne.
They also changed the size of a gallon..1 US gallon = 3.8 litre , 1 original British Gallon = 4.5 litre

Yet when it comes to miles, they ( I could be corrected on this) kept it at 5280 feet.

Bizarre how they rationalised some old imperial units, but left others alone..>Even worse they changed them but kept the names the same.

I am not saying that the Old Imperial system runs to any logic that I have understood, but changing it and then keeping the same names was bound to cause confusion. No doubt the dropping of the 'stone' and 'hundredweight'

The hundredweight or centum weight (abbreviated cwt) is a unit of mass defined in terms of the pound (lb). The definition used in Britain differs from that used in North America. The two are distinguished by the terms long hundredweight and short hundredweight:
The long hundredweight is defined as 112 lb (8 stone), which is equal to 50.802345 kg.[1] This is the definition used in the imperial system.
The short hundredweight is defined as 100 lb, which is equal to 45.359237 kg.[2] This is the definition used in the US customary system. This is also the usual hundredweight in Canada. The short hundredweight is also called a cental, especially in places which normally use the long hundredweight.
Under both conventions, there are twenty hundredweight in a ton, the long ton being 2,240 lb and the short ton being 2,000 lb.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hundredweight

In Jersey (part of the channel isles) a foot is 13 inches, which comes in handy when describing some things as being fractions of a foot and gaining a bit :D

NeilP said:
Yet when it comes to miles, they ( I could be corrected on this) kept it at 5280 feet.
Correct.

Bizarre how they rationalised some old imperial units, but left others alone..>Even worse they changed them but kept the names the same.
Just following the English footsteps :D
In England potatoes were traditionally sold in stone and half-stone (14 pounds and 7 pounds, respectively) increments, but the Oxford English Dictionary contains examples including the following:[10]
Commodity Number of Pounds
Wool 14, 15, 24
Wax 12
Sugar and spice 8
Beef and mutton 8
The 1772 edition of the Encyclopædia Britannica defined the stone as follows.[11]
STONE also denotes a certain quantity or weight of some commodities. A stone of beef, in London, is the quantity of eight pounds; in Hertfordshire, twelve pounds; in Scotland sixteen pounds.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_(unit)

As Dave notes..I am in Jersey, not UK, so not strictly English anyway. I think he is winding us up in relation to the 13 inches though..but I could be wrong, it would not be the first time.

As Sam has found out, the stone seems to have varied. Even the Continental Europeans had 'Stone' too, reading further down that article, and none of that was standard either.
Anyone remember when the USA set standard for pounds and tons etc? was it after or before the 1835 Act as mentioned in the wiki?

NeilP said:
The Americans changed some of the old imperial system..but not all. I believe I was told the other day that US imperial ton is different to an original ton, which is different to a metric tonne.
They also changed the size of a gallon..1 US gallon = 3.8 litre , 1 original British Gallon = 4.5 litre
Surprisingly we (the USA) did not change the size of the gallon. We were simply using one of the English gallons.
A wine gallon is a unit of capacity that was used routinely in England as far back as the 14th century, and by statute under Queen Anne since 1707. Britain abandoned the wine gallon in 1826 when it adopted imperial units for measurement. The 1707 wine gallon is the basis of the United States' gallon, as well as other measures.[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Anne%27s_gallon

i actually run my 36 volt a lot of the time when i am just out cruising around. forces me to help pedal up the mountains. actually been loosing a little weight since i started doing that

Welcome to ES Nick, don't take it so hard. We yanks were just clueless how many pounds in a stone.

nickpasws said:
Any thoughts on rider weight, is 16 stone expecting too much from say a 36v 10 amp Bafang Motor?

Welcome Nick.

For the benefit of our transatlantic (and continental/Australasian/Canadian/South American and other assorted metric land people) 16 stone is 224lbs or 101.6kg.

A lot depends on what Bafang motor you're talking about and what speed and hillclimbing performance you're after. The general rule is that motor current determines torque (the ability to haul up hills) and battery voltage determines speed. I would suggest that if you are limited to a very low current, like 10A, then you don't want to aim for a fast wind Bafang motor, but one of the slower wind ones that will deliver enough torque to be useful on that current. This does mean that the bike won't be that fast, though.

A bit more info on what you're after would help us give a better answer.

NeilP said:
As Dave notes..I am in Jersey, not UK, so not strictly English anyway. I think he is winding us up in relation to the 13 inches though..but I could be wrong, it would not be the first time.

Hi Neil

Jersey foot
a traditional unit of distance in Jersey, one of the Channel Islands. Also called the pied-perche, the Jersey foot is equal to 11 English inches or 0.9167 English foot. The Jersey foot is divided into 12 Jersey inches, making 13.09 Jersey inches to an English foot.

http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/dictJ.html

Sorry for the use of non extremeley politically correct name for resident of or person raised in the USA.

Seriously, I never heard of anybody not a KKK member objecting to yank or yankee before. It's not an ethnic slur, but I suppose it was a slur to you Lebowski. Maybe I could just type american from now on. And piss off all the navajos and such.

dogman said:
Sorry for the use of non extremeley politically correct name for resident of or person raised in the USA.

Seriously, I never heard of anybody not a KKK member objecting to yank or yankee before. It's not an ethnic slur, but I suppose it was a slur to you Lebowski. Maybe I could just type american from now on. And piss off all the navajos and such.

I'm pretty sure Lebowski (who is, I believe, from the Netherlands) was making a joke, dogman.............................

Jeremy Harris said:
dogman said:

I'm pretty sure Lebowski (who is, I believe, from the Netherlands) was making a joke, dogman.............................

Yep :p and referring to the term yankee being kind of from Dutch origin, as its the English way of pronouncing Jan-Kees (which are Dutch first names).
So, being Dutch I'm kind of an original Yankee but not in the meaning of me being from the USA.

Back