RIP trek fuel

dougnutz

100 W
Apparently a Trek fuel is good for 7300 miles of e-biking. At lease mine was. Last week I started hearing a strange creaking sound. It got rapidly worse until something was very obviously wrong. It was really hard to see on a visual inspection but with someone sitting on the bike I found a break in the Frame where the top tube joins the seat tub. The break was right at the weld.

Good-bye old friend
WP_20130614_001.jpg
Sorry no close up.

I suppose it's fixable, and maybe I will get it repaired as a backup bike. But about 1000 miles ago the rear rim began to disintegrate, breaking apart where the spokes enter the rim. I just dismissed this as cheap Chinese wheels. But it started me thinking about metal fatigue. Considering aluminum work hardens I started inspecting critical areas like the head tube on a regular basis.

Driving to work today and trolling craiglist tonight for a good used Frame...

Ypedal said:
On the bright side, it's a reason to start a whole new build !! :p

My thoughts exactly... off to read the latest frame threads...

One of the reasons I fell in love with full suspension, was I am good at, but don't love wheel maintenance. The other reason is my lower back is a lot more fragile than your frame seat tube.

My dry climate helps, I get zero corrosion on rims. But I have no trouble with rims and spokes, even the really cheesy stock motor rims and spokes.

For sure, the combination of extra wheel weight, and just riding faster every mile sure pounds on bikes and backs. Pretty much all of your bikes components will fit on a good FS frame.

Back