Sabvoton SVMC072150 controller review, variable regen *PICS*

Yes it has indeed an overvoltage protection. My controller went into overvoltage protection mode when it was hooked up to a 92V Power supply.
The controller measured ~94V although the voltage was only 92.3V (measured with an accurate multimeter). When decelerating from high speed/no load the controller went into protection mode and had to be switched off and on to get functional again.
But having an overvoltage protection doesn't mean one should at the limits of the "safe operating area"

maybe you dont want to talk about this controller in your sellers topic. so i ask here again:

how is the variable Regen wired to your controller? theres another wire coming out your controller right?
can you tell me where it is connected? maybe i can solder a wire to the same point to get variable regen.

does anyone hall throttle work?
when the regen works from 0-5v i dont know what happened when a normal hall throttle with 1,0v to 4,3v is connected?!

and what kind of frequency did you ordered? the normal 10Khz version or a 16Khz version?
when it is the normal 10Khz version did you have the same highfrequent "sszzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" sound like nanoha? (at 0:52)

[youtube]0AC2PFNjPyQ[/youtube]

Chuleo said:
Yes it has indeed an overvoltage protection. My controller went into overvoltage protection mode when it was hooked up to a 92V Power supply.
The controller measured ~94V although the voltage was only 92.3V (measured with an accurate multimeter). When decelerating from high speed/no load the controller went into protection mode and had to be switched off and on to get functional again.
But having an overvoltage protection doesn't mean one should at the limits of the "safe operating area"

Don't forget a DMM will average out ripple to show a DC reading. So the average voltage might be 92.3V but if their is 1.7 volt (or 3.4V peakto peak ripple) the controller would be best to watch out for the peaks not the average. So the controllers measurement of 94V should not be disregarded as poor accuracy.

If you put you DMM in AC mode to get the AC ripple it still won't give you a worthwhile indicator of spikes on the DC bus. The DMM readout is just to slow.
Some DMM's have a Max / Min mode but still this usually uses the filtered readings shown in normal mode to get the Max value.

Sometimes you can't beat a Oscilliscope/DSO to show what's going on.

MOSFET's react very fast and and the energy that dumps through the FET when Vds is over it's Breakdown limit takes less than milliseconds to kill it.
They aren't elastic or rubbery they are like crystal and crack/shatter.

MitchJi said:
Hi,

5,What’s your current voltage level?
For the moment ,our controller ‘s voltage range from 48V to 72V,our 96V will come out soon,let’s looking forward to this new generation!

Anyone know when soon is? I'm running 24S and has decided to wait for the 96V version.

I'm afraid I'm doing something stupid now by posting the following link. But I must ask what you think of the page I found? Fake/copy/scam? Interesting is the SVMC084150 and the SVMC096120 alternative.

http://shop107898782.taobao.com/category.htm?spm=2013.1.w4010-5041675914.2.pafwkd&search=y

sn0wchyld said:
Ive been chasing the russians to see if they can produce a hv version of theirs too, but getting a respone from them is kinda hit and miss........

Sure, the 150V version is in their plan. But this version will give you almost half as much phase current, will you be ok by that?
Not to mention that their controller is made for hubmotors. It will not work that good with High rpm mid drives. They will have to redesign the hardware part - in their plan too.

marcexec said:
The question about the RC type outrunners kind of got by the board. Anyone trying these on 80mm+ Turnigys or similar? Max eRPM?

I tried hooking one of these controllers up to a cyclone geared motor for kicks. 24000erpm seems to be the max as limited by the software. Otherwise it worked well. Cyclone has 4 pole pairs so it spun at 6000rpm. I think you can verify 24000erpm in the main sabvoton thread. I don't think the controller can do sensorless though...

Thanks.
That would mean 24000 / 7 (pole pairs on an 80-100) = 3430 rpm
As it saturates around 6000 9500rpm not a good pairing, unfortunately.
@Zombiess - I suppose there is no more pushing the envelope as a higher erpm won't benefit your applications?

Edit: found the correct number in http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=20618&p=423355&hilit=9500#p423355, 9500 rpm makes it even less desirable to pair them.

marcexec said:
@Zombiess - I suppose there is no more pushing the envelope as a higher erpm won't benfit your applications?

Higher eRPM has no bearing for my use since I only care about using these with large hubmotors, specifically the Cromotor. I'm tired of the Xie Chang stuff and the issues / hacks required to get them to do anything. They were never designed to push the currents we have been putting through them.

I wonder if there is a small mod that can be done to allow up to 100v operation... i wouldnt want to change my 24s lipo pack configuration.. its not even the speed in concered about

Ive run 100v on 4110s for years.. as for as im concered the fet will keep up.. yes .. yada yada i know its not in the "safe" limit... and there should be some head room..

But just putting my 2 cents

-steveo

zombiess said:
I loved running 30S on one of my bikes, but I was after the acceleration and power it provided with the Xie Changs. With the controllers I've built and this one, I can get the same level of acceleration and top speed without needing the high voltage. The Xie Chang controllers did not do a good job at regulating phase current output and if that is your only reference (as it was mine until I got my Lebowski controller running a little while ago) it's misleading. The Cheap controllers like the Xie Chang will allow a lot more phase amps to flow vs a controller with phase current control. Adding more voltage to a Xie Chang without changing the settings = more acceleration and more top speed. Depending on the battery voltage and motor, with phase current control, adding more voltage only = more top speed. With phase current control based controllers I have not noticed any additional acceleration going from a 75V battery to a 100V battery.

Is the acceleration the same the whole way with both the Xie Chang and Sabvoton controllers?

What I have noticed is with my Xie Chang EB324 controller is that hard acceleration on 100v (24s) falls off around 30-40 mph but I like 126/133v (30s-32s) so much more because the hard acceleration stays on much longer to higher speeds!

Regen that strong and down to 0 RPM sounds amazing.

I remember 44s4p a123 pack on my x5303 bike back in the day.. would wana break wheelies around 70km/h lol..

thats if the controller would hold up and not blow out at the time.. learned alot more about controller reliability since then thanks to zombiess!!!

-steveo

Scott said:
zombiess said:
I loved running 30S on one of my bikes, but I was after the acceleration and power it provided with the Xie Changs. With the controllers I've built and this one, I can get the same level of acceleration and top speed without needing the high voltage. The Xie Chang controllers did not do a good job at regulating phase current output and if that is your only reference (as it was mine until I got my Lebowski controller running a little while ago) it's misleading. The Cheap controllers like the Xie Chang will allow a lot more phase amps to flow vs a controller with phase current control. Adding more voltage to a Xie Chang without changing the settings = more acceleration and more top speed. Depending on the battery voltage and motor, with phase current control, adding more voltage only = more top speed. With phase current control based controllers I have not noticed any additional acceleration going from a 75V battery to a 100V battery.

Is the acceleration the same the whole way with both the Xie Chang and Sabvoton controllers?

What I have noticed is with my Xie Chang EB324 controller is that hard acceleration on 100v (24s) falls off around 30-40 mph but I like 126/133v (30s-32s) so much more because the hard acceleration stays on much longer to higher speeds!

Regen that strong and down to 0 RPM sounds amazing.

Is there any settings in the software to increase overvoltage protection past 95v?

GiantEV said:
zombiess said:
GiantEV said:
Looks like this would work great for those of us running 20S lipo. I'm curious about timeframe as well.

Time frame of what?
Of when they will be available for sale. I thought you were still working out some last details before you start selling them.

Been selling for a 2 weeks now. got the manufacturer to go as far as I can.

steveo said:
Is there any settings in the software to increase overvoltage protection past 95v?
It's a 72v controller, 85v fully charged is the most I would ever try, its not safe. Users really shouldn't go past 80v IMO. That leaves 20v of overhead. If you ever scope a controller in use you wouldn't think about running such small margins.

I totally agree with you on the importance of not running it close to its limit

However, from my own personal experience running ive always ran 24s lipo on 4110s for years.. and have yet to incounter a problem.. i have a friend of mine crazy enough at the time to run 115v on 4110s.. but underload it sagged just under 100v and it never blew.. not even the 100v caps

Bottom line here is this

I wana run 4110s not 4115..just my experence and preference

I wana keep my 24s lipo pack configuration so i dont need to alter other things like my charger or dc to dc converter etc

Just my opinion

I guess if the fet will take it and caps.. will the other lower voltage circuits take it ok?

Cant we increase high voltage limit? We are talking 5v here

-steve

zombiess said:
steveo said:
It's a 72v controller, 85v fully charged is the most I would ever try, its not safe. Users really shouldn't go past 80v IMO. That leaves 20v of overhead. If you ever scope a controller in use you wouldn't think about running such small margins.

you will need to find a different controller.
People pushing devices like this well beyond their intended usage limits and then the product failing is what causes a product to get a bad reputation.

You need to choose the right tool for the job.

Back