Saluki - wheel lacing

PRW

100 kW
I was wandering around a shopping centre here in Dubai, and spotted a "Saluki" fatbike in one of the Malls. I wanted to see how they had laced the Crystalyte 3525 into the fatbike rim - and saw it was laced one side only? Any comments on this - it looks so wrong to me?
saluki.jpg
saluki spokes.jpg

Dishing does require some extreme measures some times. :wink:
Poorly designed frame has too much offset, yet the wheel needs to be inline.

Bizarre.

It's a Surly Moonlander frame. It has an offset rear (28mm) as engineered and required by the necessity of keeping the chain clear of the tire while still being able to hit all the cogs on the cassette (and still use a 135mm wide hub). You can't just put a 135mm hub in the center of a 4.8" wide tire. The chain would never reach the cassette as it would have to magically bend around the fat tire. How you see it, is exactly how the stock (non electric) hub is laced. Surly has not yet moved to the 150, 170 or even 190mm rear hubs, as other fat bike manufacturers have, which moves the cassette further out to the drive side allowing for a more symmetrical rear wheel. I wonder if there's even an electric rear hub motor that's wider than 135mm?

goodgnus said:
I wonder if there's even an electric rear hub motor that's wider than 135mm?
Yes, there are; some are in the for sale section. (I forget the names). Some are scooter motors converted to use on ebikes, some are purpose built for wider dropouts. Probably some "regular" ebike motors already exist for fatbike widths, dunno for sure.

That's not about it being a fatbike; pretty much any bike with a rear wheel built on a Chinese hub motor could benefit from leaving the spokes across the rim. The difference with a fatbike is that the stagger in the spoke holes is wide enough to allow significant extra bracing angle in the spokes if they are laced across.

Chalo said:
The difference with a fatbike is that the stagger in the spoke holes is wide enough to allow significant extra bracing angle in the spokes if they are laced across.
Hmm.. AFAICS this one doesn't lace them across the rim, just the hub--it seems to uses parts of each flange on the hub to lace to *one* row of nipple holes on the rim. :/

I don't know what effect that has.

Lacing to one side allows both drive and non drive spokes to exit the hub flanges at an angle towards the centerline of the hub while also offsetting the rim 28mm to the non drive side. This moves the cassette (Freehub) outside of the confines of the 100mm wide rim (and even wider tire) such that there is no chain rub against the tire sidewall even in the largest (inside most) cog at the rear.

It's drilled on both sides so the rim could also be laced symmetrically if using a 150mm single speed hub or a 170/190mm wide geared hub, as in all cases here the hub flanges would be notably wider than the distance between the two rows of holes in the rim.

What I mean is, I don't know what effect on wheel strength/etc using only half the spokes, with only a single row of holes in the rim will have (if any).

goodgnus said:
How you see it, is exactly how the stock (non electric) hub is laced. Surly has not yet moved to the 150, 170 or even 190mm rear hubs, as other fat bike manufacturers have, which moves the cassette further out to the drive side allowing for a more symmetrical rear wheel.
very interesting - I have never noticed before on a non-electric Moonlander. For reference, they cost around US 6,800 here.

amberwolf said:
What I mean is, I don't know what effect on wheel strength/etc using only half the spokes, with only a single row of holes in the rim will have (if any).

The rim is double drilled. 64 holes, two rows of 32. All spoke holes in the hub are used, only half of what's in the rim.

I have exactly the same Moonlander with 64H rear wheel. Striving to build an ebike from it. Where did they get 32H Crystalyte 3525????

Hi Medved,

I redrilled an HS3540 easily enough to pair spokes for a better spoke to rim angle.

Redrilling for 32 holes should be possible if you have the time.

Time, tools and skills in my case )))
Well, thank you anyways!
Is there any 32H hubmotor options on the market?

Back