Shark wheels

benj

100 W
I was in a skate shop the other day and saw some of these Shark Wheels. They are claiming lower rolling resistance and other nice things, seems interesting.

http://sharkwheel.com/

78A.png

And from their website:

1. Shark Wheels are lightning fast. The design allows for a thin contact patch touching the ground and therefore less rolling resistance resulting in a quicker ride. We also use some of the most expensive, best performing urethane available that has high-rebound/tear-resistant components.

2. Shark Wheels have more grip and sliding control. The alternating pattern equates to increased control - the width is increased, but the friction is decreased! The sine wave design provides three lips per wheel for superior lateral grip. A traditional wheel only has one.

3. Shark Wheels are better than traditional wheels on varying terrain. The sine wave pattern smoothly funnels any debris aside instead of it being 'steamrolled' over like traditional wheels. The speed and control on soft surfaces is unreal.

4. Shark Wheels are the perfect rain / gravel wheels. The alternating pattern of grooves significantly reduces hydroplaning by channeling liquid, sand or gravel out and away from the surface of the wheel, allowing for a firm contact patch with the ground. Also, the rounded edges allow liquid, sand or gravel to pass around the wheel, providing unparalleled grip over wet and loose traction surfaces.

Our eBoards are a perfect test for this claim I reckon. Charge up and ride on normal wheels, then charge up and ride on Shark Wheels, and see the difference in range.

I'm going to try and get myself a set, but they aren't officially for sale in the UK yet I don't think

cool idea...
Might try some if they ever come out in 98mm or equivalent... :D

I've seen these floating around reddit /r/longboarding ...seems gimmicky. I'm sure you could find some reviews there

eboard is probably the best way to actually test them though...real measurable results against their claim

Those have been on Silverfish for a long time. I thought they had been forgotten about.

benj said:
They are claiming lower rolling resistance and other nice things,

they are straight up liars.
they should renamed it "snake wheels"

not sure who originally came up with the illusion of a square wheel, but it's not them.

here's a sculptor's version
circlesine_2s.jpg

links here,
http://wackyboards.blogspot.com/2013/11/circle-sine-wave.html

a good write-up here,
http://physicsbuzz.physicscentral.com/2013/06/reinventing-wheel.html

the only thing I think the wheels are good for (opposite of what they are claiming) is a wheel that slides easily

Yes I am also skeptical. Most of the reviews/comments I read are either hugely biased towards the product and most probably some form of underhand marketing attempts, or they slam the product, but no one seems to of performed a proper independent test.

As re3volved says - that's why our eBoards are the perfect test bed for them. I think I've found a UK source for them, so I'll update here if I get anywhere

As Sharkwheels are basically grooved (treaded) wheels, they perform better than slick wheels on wet surfaces (less aquaplaning) and sand/small gravel (50% chance that the gravel goes in the groove).... (but much less than pneumatic tires).

Normal skaters don't ride much in such conditions so skate wheels are slick.
Eskates used for transportation have to deal with such conditions so treaded (or pneumatic tires) wheels are more usefull

Beside, the "square wheel" stuff is pure promotional bs

I love them. Swear by them on my paddle boards.

The roll over debris better than 90 mm Abec clones.

I think the largest they make now is 70 mm unfortunately.

I have two boards with Shark Wheels. I love them too. I am a casual rider (no crazy downhill sliding stuff) but I do ride a lot on street surfaces and take my dog out on many rides for exercise. They really do go over mixed surfaces well and deal with pebbles like a champ. I also know the guys who created them (for full disclosure) thanks to work stuff and it's not a gimmick. They are a very intelligent and creative bunch who stumbled onto a unique design and application. 70mm is the biggest commercial wheel they have for now, but they are expanding the line. Stay tuned.
[youtube]DNd92nrxkas[/youtube]
[youtube]nefXkOP-wh0[/youtube]

Pylonflyer said:
I have two boards with Shark Wheels. I love them too. I am a casual rider (no crazy downhill sliding stuff) but I do ride a lot on street surfaces and take my dog out on many rides for exercise. They really do go over mixed surfaces well and deal with pebbles like a champ. I also know the guys who created them (for full disclosure) thanks to work stuff and it's not a gimmick. They are a very intelligent and creative bunch who stumbled onto a unique design and application. 70mm is the biggest commercial wheel they have for now, but they are expanding the line. Stay tuned.

Well that's awesome what you know the guys, well if you can one day suggest them on 80mm with a core (like there 58mm) it would be amazing.

Wheel technology is holding back E boards.

I want some 80-100 mm's Shark Hub motor wheels.

Really just the Shark Wheels tread and a softer and more adaptive layer between the motor and tread.

Shark wheels are a step in the right direction.

CSN said:
Wheel technology is holding back E boards.

I want some 80-100 mm's Shark Hub motor wheels.

Really just the Shark Wheels tread and a softer and more adaptive layer between the motor and tread.

Shark wheels are a step in the right direction.

my mind is blowing to see hub motor with that wheels :mrgreen:

I think I saw them a long time ago on the "Shark Tank" TV program. They were of course looking for investment and publicity. Don't remember who or if anyone invested. But I think they walked away happy. Have to wonder if that's how that came up with the name.

Bob

http://physicsbuzz.physicscentral.com/2013/06/reinventing-wheel.html

To agree with one of the developers' dodgy claims, Shark Wheels really are a revolution in wheel technology. By "revolution," I mean their products tend to revolve around a central axis. Outside of this simple prerequisite for the word "wheel," I can't see much advantage these wobbly-looking things would provide over the 5,500 year old tried and true "circle" models.

The skateboarding world is rife with market-minded inventors promoting gimmicky products to children. .........

I only got a chance to try them briefly, they feel slow to me.
I think they are a cool novelty, it looks square-ish from certain angles, cool visual illusion (btw they did not come up with that idea)
The thing is these guys were making outrageous claims in their sales campaign, like more grip than regular wheels.
If so, the downhill guys would be using them.
I thought they might be cool for standup slides, less contact surface, less grip, easier to break into a slide.

Sculpture by Ron Geitgey
http://www.rongeitgey.com/sculp_pages/circlesinewave_b.html

circlesine_2s.jpg

The downside of Shark Wheels is that they wear down from sliding etc then it just acts like regular wheel.

With less urethane on the road they wear faster when sliding. Not cheap either.

The SW's do roll pretty well. I tested a lot of different wheels on my paddle board and with the same bearings the SW's roll at least as fast as the others common wheels. My fastest times anyway.

The value of SW's potential for E boards is that they do a lot better riding over rocks, cracks etc.

It really does make a difference because the board doesn't try to momentarily stop before rolling over debris as much.

The regular wheels like Abec's will slow way down before going up and over or often times it kicks the debris forward while lurching.

The SW's inner groove allows the debris to be ramped over with less disturbance.

I understand what ur saying about the small rocks,

I think u could take a regular wheel and lathe them in a similar fashion
like this, UUUU (front view of the wheel, lower section)
It will probably work even better than the SW in that respect.

how about side grip?
no way it will match a regular wheel, and if you enjoy carving, you want a grippy wheel.
(I have some Centrax, they are amazing, almost too grippy, like when you actually need them to slide)

edit, kinda like this..
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-8dcYGUOpkp0/TkkUUh2a45I/AAAAAAAAAqM/MY8btIM6D_w/s1600/0813012253.jpg

Yeah SW's side grip seems somewhat less. I like carving on the SW's but not tried it on heavier E board yet.

^^^^ I like that idea of cutting out channels with existing larger and less expensive wheels.

Different groove sizes and patterns for rider size and conditions.

The video above was really interesting how skatewheel development costs have really plummeted.

Maybe not far from boutique wheel makers or DIYers.

Yes for me the SW is interesting for debris, and also for rainy day.

Most things that could be annoying then commuting.

using non-slick wheels definitely makes sense for wet conditions or to clear small gravel.

Shape and depth of the thread is another question regarding wear and traction in both directions.

Contrary to a skater's legend, reducing the contact patch doesn't necessary reduce the grip.

The only type of wheel I think of that could be beneficial in terms of grip would be a "rimless" wheel. Pretty good at countering nuisible forces so the wheel is less stressed, hence extended use of same tyre. But problem is "tightened link" between the rimless wheel and the truck, because usualy links kinda vibrate if not wobble, and this kills all the benefits of the design.

EDIT : On another subject I think a better wheel could be a multi-density wheel. Not like the ones actually available, the other way around. I think I'll give it a try with some elastic filaments. Anybody wants to be guinea pig?

Vulthor said:
Pylonflyer said:

Well that's awesome what you know the guys, well if you can one day suggest them on 80mm with a core (like there 58mm) it would be amazing.
I did ask! And they said stay tuned :) I was showing them my work on my E-board and said the 73mm was too small for adapting pulleys and such. But on my build, I'm powering independent of the Shark wheels so I can use both my long boards. Hard to explain but when I have more time I will post a thread of my work.

One more thing... I saw (and skated on) a pair of the Chinese knock-offs with LEDs in the wheels and they are DANGEROUS!! Wobbly, uneven, not even close to concentric wheels. You literally cannot ride them. I always wonder how stuff like this makes it out of a factory??

I heard back from Shark Wheels they are going to be producing a 80mm wheel that Evolve is going to sell.

I'm guessing that is for belt drive.

I put in my 2 cents about Hub wheels being the future.

For belt drive that will be nice wheel.

My 70 mm shark wheels eliminate the shopping cart sounds I get from regular wheels.

Back