singlespeed rear hub motor for 120mm spacing?

The difference between tabbed washers and flatted axles alone isn't much, but it's a large relative change from one to the other. The bare axle in a snug fitting slot applies torque at two points, both at a radius of about 5mm. A tabbed washer moves one of these points out to a radius of 12 or 14mm. It's a noteworthy change that makes frame failure less likely. I'd do it because there's not really a downside to it.

Balmorhea said:
The difference between tabbed washers and flatted axles alone isn't much, but it's a large relative change from one to the other. The bare axle in a snug fitting slot applies torque at two points, both at a radius of about 5mm. A tabbed washer moves one of these points out to a radius of 12 or 14mm. It's a noteworthy change that makes frame failure less likely. I'd do it because there's not really a downside to it.

The direction of the tab should be taken into account. With the horizontal dropouts, I think the strongest position to place the axle (without the washer) if fully forward, and weakest if fully to the rear (but still within the dropout). If using a tabbed washer, I think facing the tab to the rear would be best, since facing it forward required the axle to be moved back.

PS. I mention this because I'm not sure what the OP means by placing the tab on the inside of the dropout. I didn't thing he meant on the inner side, since he already has an issue with too wide an axle.

Why they don’t make the axles 9.95mm at least instead on 9.8 I don’t know and would make things more secure for everyone I think. As far as how much torque this will put out I forget what the esc is set to. 12 turn motor

Getting axle’s flats lengthened and should be able to squeeze it in.
Getting 4 industrial steel rivets put in the frame around m6 and imperial.

Any way to further quiet the gears in this motor or to optimize in any way? I’ve seen heat sinks added but don’t want to do that. Is ferrofluid add able?

Hummina Shadeeba said:
but if this one guy who does machining around isn't going to flatten the axles Im done trying to make this and will move on to the easy to make mountain bike here.
Seem like to do it right, it may require a lathe (to move the shoulder back 7.5 mm on each side) and a mill, to extend the flats the same amount. You'll lose 7.5mm of threads too, so you'll need at least a washer on the outside of each dropout, since you'll have .5 mm (due to your 7mm dropouts) of exposed axle without threads for the axle nuts.

If you're going to give up if the guy can't do it, you could always break out the angle grinder and file and see if you can get it to work.

Didn’t want to risk flattening the axle myself but he’s doing it on a mill I think so think will preserve the threads. Will cut 6mm on either side and a squeeze. The one side only had 6mm possible and compensating on the other side would add even more dish.

36spoke radial 451 wheels and purple tires. I’ll be able to squeeze in and out of my house or other indoor labyrinths easily w these little wheels

Will this throttle work w asi 800 esc n Mac motor?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07QH1MVZV/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_4?smid=A1NLZ2O05BC4KE&psc=1

getting torque arms cnc'd in steel. Thinner than this design here I was going to do aluminum. 80$ for 4 made w shipping n delivered in 2 weeks from china is great. Or a place in USA quoted 250 for 1. go with standard 10mm track dropouts. 9.85 x 10mm for a tighter fit on axle.

the hub motor makes the chainline horrendous and going to further grind the axle to space it better.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    20.8 KB · Views: 1,787
Damn I’m slow. Was going to do 3x spokes on the hub but with it being a 20” rim I’m thinking the spoke angle would be too sharp. Is 1x good enough or 2x? 36 hole Mac motor

Hummina Shadeeba said:
Damn I’m slow. Was going to do 3x spokes on the hub but with it being a 20” rim I’m thinking the spoke angle would be too sharp. Is 1x good enough or 2x? 36 hole Mac motor

Cross-1 lacing is probably doable with a MAC. When I've laced larger diameter motors like Crystalyte H series or Leaf Motor to a 20" rim, I have to lace them radially.

Hummina Shadeeba said:
getting torque arms cnc'd in steel. Thinner than this design here I was going to do aluminum. 80$ for 4 made w shipping n delivered in 2 weeks from china is great.
Please post a link to the vendor and report back how good when you know.

The parts I got made are good. Nice tight fit. If ur interested in the Cnc place, design, or parts write me. Forget their name now but I’ve worked with a couple cnc places in China n have a list of good ones.

Was going to post my pics of this mini bike but can’t figure how and what’s the best quality possible? What’s the easiest way? My search of “post+pictures” didn’t show. Trying to show it off

Using Imgur.com is very easy, helper apps whatever you computer type.

Create a gallery there without needing to reduce the photo resolution / size.

Can post a link URL to each photo individually, and an appropriate sized thumbnail shows here, those wanting the high-res version can click through.

Or just post the link to the whole gallery.

Hi, let us know how it goes, is the freewheel well centered?

I'm buying an 8T 20 wheel, then I could use the field orientation.

Will post detailed pics later

Don’t know what u mean by running field orientation. This is the Mac kit from Luna w a sine esc ( the gem of the kit in my mind. Except programming it for another motor or more power seems beyond everyone)

Been riding without a chain so far but the chain line is awful and seems the best option is a freewheel with a couple gears to get a bit straighter

https://www.ebay.com/p/14006246783?iid=162917669376&chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=162917669376&targetid=922439848797&device=m&mktype=pla&googleloc=1014226&poi=&campaignid=6470049725&mkgroupid=87926505766&rlsatarget=pla-922439848797&abcId=1141176&merchantid=114826824&gclid=CjwKCAiA1rPyBRAREiwA1UIy8M6CVV3Fhphrb1tqSKWaMiAOJv_sV7IbmSfQybdURbk0ckty_uAMpBoCVA4QAvD_BwE

And a tiny chainring that’s placed on inside of crank spider

And a chain that’s got a lot of lateral movement possible if u can’t get the chain line good

I’m not into hybrid bikes and this is a motorcycle really and I don’t plan to pedal. With a small enough chainring will only be able to pedal like 5mph, and that coupled with it needing the key to run powered I feel safe leaving it outside unlocked while I go in coffee shops or wherever here in San Francisco

Hummina Shadeeba said:
Will post detailed pics later ..................
Don’t know what u mean by running field orientation.

And a tiny chainring that’s placed on inside of crank spider

And a chain that’s got a lot of lateral movement possible if u can’t get the chain line good

I’m not into hybrid bikes and this is a motorcycle really and I don’t plan to pedal. With a small enough chainring will only be able to pedal like 5mph, and that coupled with it needing the key to run powered I feel safe leaving it outside unlocked while I go in coffee shops or wherever here in San Francisco
Field oriented control: with the right controller it can increase the speed, for example up to 120% and more.

before I was thinking Mac 6T,
then after various opinions, I decided on 8T for my necessity.

I have freewheel Shimano MF-TZ20 6sp,
then I'll cut off 3 with the big teeth.
I've removed the derailleur.

with big apple tires, has become 21-22 inches.

I've mounted the baby cranks on my bike for comfort (114mm) (I have low saddle).

How would field oriented control increase speed? All I’ve seen is a slightly slower speed with foc. I’d think would need field weakening to do that regardless

Hummina Shadeeba said:
How would field oriented control increase speed? All I’ve seen is a slightly slower speed with foc. I’d think would need field weakening to do that regardless
I've heard of 1 slow foc controller too, maybe to protect the gears, but not all of them are the same.

then the field oriented control is programmed separately in the settings,
but the battery should be powerful, because it will increase the peak phase.

I ordered the nucular 6F controller that seems to be working fine,
after I've programmed it, I'll use it with the three-position button.

https://imgur.com/a/AB6QNAQ
still need to do some things and not done.
im gunna sell it. Want to make another and little nitpick changes. The rims don’t need long reach brakes, ..lots of things I’d change.

I’ll add to this post later the Cnc place that did the torque arms cheap. And a place that does custom steel frames including mini. Mainly mini they do. And nice paint and like 450$

I like the hub, although wish id forked over for grin’s one with the phase wires inside the chain stay, and would do that for the look plus. But really I want to get a custom mini frame made that would have a motor mount included. A chain on one side from cranks to wheel as usual and other side of the rear hub with a belt to maybe an 80mm hobby king motor. I’ve seen cogs mounted to disk brake rotor mounts.

And make a battery and get the frame designed for that. Maybe a huge down tube and could put cells in. maybe forget tubes for the front triangle. Or just some water bottle bosses and mount something there. Seems a lot of stress on those though

zeccato said:
Field oriented control: with the right controller it can increase the speed, for example up to 120% and more.

You may be referring to flux/field weakening. You don't need a controller with FOC to have flux weakening. A lot of non FOC controllers have that feature.

E-HP said:
zeccato said:

You may be referring to flux/field weakening. You don't need a controller with FOC to have flux weakening. A lot of non FOC controllers have that feature.

Yes, field weakening, you corrected me, thank you.
Sure, I've got a infineon that does that, but I've been advised that it's best not to use it.

www.Yea-Lin.com
will do just a few parts and cheaply

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000342661436.html

the frame maker

and I have two of the custom torque arms I got made above for track dropouts if anyone interested. and the bike is available too for pretty much the cost to me at 1600$
https://imgur.com/a/AB6QNAQ
have a bunch of throttle options possible.

Thanks for the imgur.com

This thing is great for a city. Its light enough and pretty small. ebike cyclocross urban obstacle weapon. under radar in the city of sf beating everyone anywhere. Waiting for no one. taking compliments from them in the crosswalk if they get close. There’s 20” wheel ebikes all over these days with monster wheels and tires though. Not just big but huge knobs all around. And then u finally ride one in the sand and realize this is the only place this thing should be. And my girlfriend got one of them. The rad runner by rad bikes. That made me want this. Thats big heavy weak and slow this is small light strong and fast!

Back