So...much....rain - Waterproofing EVs

benj

100 W
Over here in the UK it seems to of been raining for about 2 months solid. That's not fun for riding my eBoard! I know the US is also being hit hard with storms.

So it got me thinking that my next project would be something 100% rideable in any weather. Waterproof. Mud proof. Good grip. You can ride it anywhere, anytime.

Obviously a mountainboard is a good bet, or something like Beetbock's new 125mm based board looks good, as does that Onda board. The deck/trucks/wheels will always be a personal choice, but what knowledge is floating around about getting these boards really waterproof?

Motor
I read that brushless motors are pretty fine getting wet - but what's a good way to clean them after a dirty session? WD40 or some other spray lubricant? Are sensored motors also OK getting wet?

ESC
ESC is a big one, we really don't want that getting wet....something like this looks interesting as a precaution http://www.liquipel.com/. But the best bet is a nice enclosure that can stop the water in the first place.

Batteries
Youch, I don't think they'd be very happy with a soaking. Again, the enclosure would probably have to do the job of keeping these dry.

Enclosure
There are loads of great enclosures on the forum, some nice DIY work like Beetbock's carbon look vacuum formed ones, and the Onda board with kitchen containers. I am still looking for something really perfect, something that can flex with the board, but also be strong enough to take a rock or kerb to the bottom.

I had the idea of a thin strip of foam around the edges, where the enclosure meets the deck. This would stop water creeping in to an extent. Also, if the enclosure needed ventilation, then this needs to be considered...again, perhaps just some foam would help?

The other ghetto idea I had was to put electronics into a balloon. I know that sounds mental, but if things aren't getting too hot, or the right 'balloon' was found, it could be a possibility?

I'd really like to push this thought process all the way through to riding into big puddles without a second thought :)

Anyone got ideas?

Nice idea, i like it :D

benj said:
Motor
I read that brushless motors are pretty fine getting wet - but what's a good way to clean them after a dirty session? WD40 or some other spray lubricant? Are sensored motors also OK getting wet?

For me the best solution is not to get wet and dirty at all the motors. Dust, dirt, small stones may damage the bearings. One possibility is to enclose the motor in a tube and make some ventilation holes at the end, to cool the motor. Something like the E-Go of the Yuneec, that's may be nice :)

file.php

IMG_5662.jpg

Several decades riding motos in ALL weather conditions taught me that waterproofing anything subjected to 10-60 MPH blasting spray of water is relative at best.

Design like submersible ROV's or Boat may be the only truly effective way to go?

I just noticed that motor looks exactly like a 42mm or 50mm SK3 motor. Anyhow, definitely waterproofing would be a good idea. Not often you ride in the rain with your board but it's that half mile that is slightly wet that you need to pass through and to just protect your board from any puddles. E-Go's got a nice design there and pretty affordable at the same time. The only downside would be the top speed. They should have an option for a higher speed eboard.

Plastdip, liquid plastic. In my next build I am going to coat the whole alien 150 A esc with plastidip, but not over the heat sink. I think its going to work good since it does not have a fan. They do it in the rc world with good results. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMYCEJWgUZA
And then put a ballon over the reciever. Coat battery connections with plastidip. One problem i can see is the bearings in the motor needs to be waterproof.

Assuming the motors can withstand some water, the only problem I see is waterproofing the heat sink of the ESC. You can put all the other components in a box (except maybe the actual antenna). There are standard solutions to waterproof the cables (and antenna) coming in/out the box.

One thing you could do is waterproof the part where the alu heat sink is covered by the shrink plastic which is covering the ESC (I'm talking Alien ESC now), but the heat sink can then be submerged, which is bad, unless you mount it vertically or upside down. If you can solve this, you probably got the rest covered.

Found this in my YT subs today, might be some news on waterproofing there for us. Also, check out their channel for nice RC stuff :)

[youtube]s4z8QMgTEA4[/youtube]

There/s several threads and posts about waterproofing a throttle.

Most guaranteed way is to put the actual throttle in a waterproof bag, and run a cable from a cable-style throttle or old friction shifter with friction set to minimum or off, or a gripshifter with the detent ball taken out, mounted on your bars instead of the electric throttle.

The throtle itself gets mounted on something that lets the cable pull the throttle up; you might be better using a thumb throttle for this, but you can attach something to a regular one to work.

I can't remember who did this first but it's been done multiple times now.

amberwolf said:
There/s several threads and posts about waterproofing a throttle.

Most guaranteed way is to put the actual throttle in a waterproof bag, and run a cable from a cable-style throttle or old friction shifter with friction set to minimum or off, or a gripshifter with the detent ball taken out, mounted on your bars instead of the electric throttle.

The throtle itself gets mounted on something that lets the cable pull the throttle up; you might be better using a thumb throttle for this, but you can attach something to a regular one to work.

I can't remember who did this first but it's been done multiple times now.

I'm currently using food foil cover on my throttle to have it waterproof. It's actually not pretty at all. With a waterproof spray that work, it would solve lots of problems!

my e-go has been through mud,rain and keeps on rolling with no problems... all i did was lightly water it down after and wiped it down dry, clean the bearings and it was good to go :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

the foam layer between the board and the electronics enclosure makes a big difference i believe

you can try Neverwet... it works but doesnt last that long so it has to be re-applied again... from what i hear the bottle stuff goes on clear but the spray paint has a haze to it...

http://www.amazon.com/Oleum-274232-Never-Multi-Purpose/dp/B00DNQBFAW/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1419635696&sr=1-1&keywords=neverwet

i opened my half twist throttle and after isolating the (soldered) hall connection with epoxy is filled the whole thing with vaseline. i did the same with the connectors between CA and throttle. i guess this should keep humidity out.
but corrosion x or something for sure will work even better.

Back