Specialized Big Hit FSR with midmount

Kepler said:
The attention to detail on this bike is just amazing. The excellent steering lock (lack of being my least favorite feature on my Bomber), carbon mount for the CA, water proof on/off switch in the perfect place, 3 speed switch just to name a few.

The charging block works as an emergency cut off too being so easy pull out if you need to. This bike has given me heaps of inspiration and lots of new ideas to consider.
Nearly right on all accounts mate, the steering lock issue on the bomber was also my biggest bug bear, what you call the 3 speed switch is infact the high/low beam headlight switch, but the low beam part is not finished yet so i have not shown it, its my motorcycle habit of using the thumb to dip the lights that dictated it going up there. The rear light is fitted to the bike in all these pics, its not easy to spot, i do need to dim it down a bit too as it is far too bright :shock: The carbon is 1mm thick, there are 2 peices, one on top and one under the yolk, both bolted into the CA, this triangulation has made an incredibly strong mounting for the CA and head light, i think i could stand on the CA!! And i thought the ti one mounting the magicshine on the bomber was stiff!!

Such a stunning build, I'm in awe.
Just to be clear here my comment on motor was not meant as a criticism on Tenchs stunnIng bike - the only reason I mentioned it was related to the power you can actually get away with when driving through a normal derailleur setup, I have the hs myself which I think is 16lb? I was only wondering how small/light you could go with a hub bearing in mInd the standard drivetrain will only take a certain amount of power.
Having toyed with the idea of a cyclone quite a few times and always canned it due to the noise my mInd is running riot as to how light and quiet a hub mid could be.
To emphasise how impressed I am with Tenchs bike I'd be first to say - Simon, how much for a frame? :)
Stunning build, cannot wait to see the vid f5 f5 f5 :)

D

deecanio said:
Such a stunning build, I'm in awe.
Just to be clear here my comment on motor was not meant as a criticism on Tenchs stunnIng bike - the only reason I mentioned it was related to the power you can actually get away with when driving through a normal derailleur setup, I have the hs myself which I think is 16lb? I was only wondering how small/light you could go with a hub bearing in mInd the standard drivetrain will only take a certain amount of power.
Having toyed with the idea of a cyclone quite a few times and always canned it due to the noise my mInd is running riot as to how light and quiet a hub mid could be.
To emphasise how impressed I am with Tenchs bike I'd be first to say - Simon, how much for a frame? :)
Stunning build, cannot wait to see the vid f5 f5 f5 :)

D
D, building a frame is not as straight forward as it might seem, every aspect of the bike has an influence on the frame, to do a good job the bike has to be designed as a whole, the choice of motor, controller, batteries, cable routing, cable securing, wiring routing, sufficient space for the the wiring all these things have to be taken into consideration and integrated into the design, basically the whole bike has to be designed down to the last detail before any of it can be built, that is if you want to build things the way i like to. i have about 3mm clearance between my pedal cranks and the motor mounts on either side so even the motor spindle could not be designed untill i had chosen my pedal cranks and BB, those details dictated the motor offset which dictated the design of the front sprocket carrier and the chain run. Finding the right cranks to cut the spiders out of to allow me to fit it all between the pedal cranks whilst keeping it looking central and getting the chain where i wanted it. on this build everything just fits. To build a frame would involve designing a whole bike and making many more components than just a frame. I started this one by cutting some cardboard templates of the motor, batteries and controller, then i taped them to the bike frame, i spent a couple of evenings moving them around thinking of all the possible implications associated with that layout untill i found the layout that i have now, then i stuck them in place and sat with a note pad and a couple of rulers, i try to think of every single small detail and how i will do it, when every single problem has been solved and i know exactly how i am going to do it down to the last tiny detail i will set about it with the hack saw and get stuck in.

Some details that might not have been noticed, one leg of the motor mount spiders is inline with the incline of the battery compartment, another leg is inline with the centres of the pedal cranks and motor spindle, they dont just look in line, they are bang on! the 2 carbon fibre side panels are identical in size and shape due to the effort i put into getting the frame right, the angle between the back and the top face of the side panels is the same angle as the weave in the carbon fibre. The bike stands on my bike stand with both wheels the same height off the floor due to the position of one of the motor side plate fixing bosses, the controller is at a slight angle to the top battery, this was to make room for the controller lower fixing screws or they would have touched the battery, and it goes on and on. I supose it is a learnt trait from many years as a vehicle builder, cutting the side out of a new Merc to design make and fit some new doors for a dissabled persons vehicle teaches you to plan a job to the end down to the last detail before you start as mistakes could be dissastrous!! But mostly, it is because i enjoy seeing the end result :D

The wife says i have OCD, i tell here i have CDO, its similar but worse,, i had to put the letters in alphabetical order :D

But really it is just because i care, i believe if your going to do something do it to the best of your ability, so there are no obvious fails that you wish you done differently, achieving the "Factory" look. There are a few things i dont like, the crank chain wheels, one is on a 5 stud pattern and the other 4, the motor mounts are on 5 stud and the brake discs are 6, it doesnt match, i can do something about the chain wheels though and probably will change them.

Now what was the question,,oh yes,,how much for a frame :?: ,,, priceless!! 8) :D

Nice job on building this bike it’s professionally built.

I really like the charging set up that you made. This is exactly what I’m looking at doing when I up grade my ebikes batteries soon. Could you please show some more pictures of how you wired all of the balancing wires to the icharger. Also would you mind showing a picture of the inside of the white charging plug that plugs in to the bike or could you draw a simple diagram of the electronics. I am a vary visual person and it is hard to understand stuff like this with out pictures

Tench,
Amazing build. Not only is your attention to detail on the frame build and layout very professional, but the electronics of the charge block, and even down to the case for the charger, you didnt miss a thing!

I too would like more details on the charge/run block. I'm going LiPo's, and am looking at combining the protection of the Methods HVC/LVC harness with your block to make the whole thing easy to balance but very safe...

The safety harness, if you have not seen it is here....
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=36414

So I'm thinking through how to combine your run block with the safety harness....

Art Vandelay said:
Tench,
Amazing build. Not only is your attention to detail on the frame build and layout very professional, but the electronics of the charge block, and even down to the case for the charger, you didnt miss a thing!

I too would like more details on the charge/run block. I going LiPo's, and am looking at combining the protection of the Methods HVC/LVC harness with your block to make the whole thing easy to balance but very safe...

The safety harness, if you have not seen it is here....
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=36414
Yes i have seen those boards but on this build i am just relying on the CA for my LVC and the icharger to take care of the HVC and cell balancing. This way i can set the LVC a little high giving me extra protection but also the option to drop it a couple of volts to limp home if need be.

Simon.

Scott said:

I really like the charging set up that you made. This is exactly what I’m looking at doing when I up grade my ebikes batteries soon. Could you please show some more pictures of how you wired all of the balancing wires to the icharger. Also would you mind showing a picture of the inside of the white charging plug that plugs in to the bike or could you draw a simple diagram of the electronics. I am a vary visual person and it is hard to understand stuff like this with out pictures
Hi Scott, i will find the time to try and do a clear curcuit diagram and post it up to show how it is wired, give me a nudge if i have not done it in the next couple of days.

Simon.

Great build Tench this really is looking like the most positive step towards a stealthy trail bike ,I have had dirt bikes on and off for 35yrs and a big motor in the back wheel for serious offroad just seems a bit of a compromise to me.But this looks like a really good option for what is currently available.I am using a Kona stinky with 1200w cyclone this all works fine BUT when out in the New forest I end up pedalling all the time to keep the noise down!! the fun police are really screwed up here ,my shed was broken into and my dirt bike stolen police didnt even want to see.But my mate was showing his young son how ride a dirt bike in a forest car park (empty car park ) and 3 police cars turned up :!: Why are you going RC motor :?:

Things like that seem so daft, dads have been teaching children to ride ans drive for years and now it gets ruined. At 14 I was taught to drive sideways in the rain in a powerful BMW, I was used to speed with my dad next to me and when it came to a driving test I put in at 17, not a day over and passed. Not that this is right in today's age but nobody got hurt and I was a safe driver with my mates in the car. Report a theft and nothing happens.

M1k3 said:
Great build Tench this really is looking like the most positive step towards a stealthy trail bike ,I have had dirt bikes on and off for 35yrs and a big motor in the back wheel for serious offroad just seems a bit of a compromise to me.But this looks like a really good option for what is currently available.I am using a Kona stinky with 1200w cyclone this all works fine BUT when out in the New forest I end up pedalling all the time to keep the noise down!! the fun police are really screwed up here ,my shed was broken into and my dirt bike stolen police didnt even want to see.But my mate was showing his young son how ride a dirt bike in a forest car park (empty car park ) and 3 police cars turned up :!: Why are you going RC motor :?:
I just thought i would like to build a powerfull RC bike because i have not done one yet and i have a few ideas that i need to get out of my head! :wink: :D I know it wont be very stealthy but i dont intend to build it as an electric stealth push bike :D

why waste time on it whenyou could be building my frame? :lol:
i agree, if your going rc forget stealth, im guessing a lightweight dirtbike and to hell with pedals?
I understand all your points earlier about everything interweaving with a build Si, seperating my rc build was a total pita, one thing affecting another and whatnot, its just im very excited to see a hub mid drive purely because i need to be quiet when riding, its something i had thought about but had put aside thinking it couldn't be done, oh how wrong!!
Still eagerly awaiting vids.

D

D, Dave has not been over today to do a vid, not his fault, i was competing today and didnt get back untill too late for him to come over, it may happen Tuesday evening.

No worries mate, whenever will be great, besides there surely must be a UK meet looming this summer to meet and ride?

D

A uk meet would be great Ive not seen anything in the flesh other than 200w and my bike obviously :( , my bike really ugly built it to see if i like it but although it works well it is so noisy ! Now your bike has really messed up my plans for a Timma style cyclone build.(time to start researching quite hub motors) :idea:

Very sorry, I have nothing to contribute to your thread Tench,

but I feel the need to say... WOW!!! :shock:

Beautiful work. :mrgreen:

Hi simon

This for me has taken bike building to a new level, you're in a class of your own in my opinion.
Hope the testing goes well. I have the exact same bike which i had planned to fit a cyclone kit to but i have now been inspired by you, bck to the drawing board as they say. Better hide my grinder for now :lol:

all the best , Craig

Had a go on Simons bike today. It definately rides as good as it looks!
Fantastic build and will be a killer single track bike.
[youtube]u7HurC2KcBk[/youtube]
Proud owner of his new baby!
b6e0440c.jpg

Tench said:
Scott said:

Hi Scott, i will find the time to try and do a clear curcuit diagram and post it up to show how it is wired, give me a nudge if i have not done it in the next couple of days.

Simon.

Hey Simon,
I don’t mean to bug you but you told me to give you a nudge to remind you about posting a circuit diagram.

Thank you for putting that up Dave, i am glad you approve :D I am looking forward to having a few group ride outs this summer, its just a shame i cant make the one next week.

Scott, sorry, i had not forgot, just not got round to doing yet.

Cheers Simon.

Awesome little video, very smooth bike and quiet as well, what a great build this is, looking forward to more ride videos from you and yes I can see that will be a great trail and bridleway bike for sure, much fun too be had :)

yes nice vid, lots more please, im folowing yours and whiplash's mid builds with great interest, i feel a second build coming on!!!

D

Hi D, watching Dave ride my bike yesterday has emphasised how much better a mid mount is, he was doing roling stoppies down the street and some decent wheelies back up it, i'm not saying you cant do that with a DD hub but having the weight central makes a massive difference. And having the gears for climbing is a huge bonus. I have been looking at the MAC motor since others have mentioned it and it does look like a very good candidate for a mid drive, maybe even a better option than the clyte i have used with a small weight saving aswell.
I might even look into building another using the MAC.

yes, well sold on it being infinately better, good tho hubs are they're not really up to jumping them around, putting them as mid drive not only takes all that mass out of the wheel but also allows you to use all that lovely travel, not to mention running through the gears without a screaming bag of cats ;) - it doesn't matter where my hub is, i wont ever wheelie like dave, mine usually end in rash :lol:
More vids please mate, single track!!!

D

Thanks for posting that video ,as Knoxie says ideal trail /bridleway bike quite and well balanced ,Im really not sure if I love this bike or hate it ,love it cos offroad cycling is all I enjoy and silence is essential,Hate it cos I really need to build one ,The worst thing is it took about 9months reading posts on here before i got a cyclone ,oh well back to the drawing board(great build TENCH really great build) :? :idea: :D

Back