Specialized Big Hit FSR with midmount

Thanks guys, Toby, this is my first venture into Lipo and it was important to make it fool proof when switching from series (running) to Parralel (charging) i didnt want to make any mistakes and fry anything, coming from Life bats plug and play was the only way i knew so i worked out a way to do it.
I am just trying to source some new chain wheels then design and make a new carrier for them, possibly with another bearing to take some load off the Dicta freewheel, My CA has a fault aswell so that needs to be replaced then we can get some video!!
We should have a UK rideout this summer, there is getting to be quite a few of us now.

Simon.

I would defo be up for a UK ride out. Ive got a scott ransom with a magic pie and a norco with some dr bass torque arms ready to go 72 volts. In awe of your work here Tench, nice to see some finished articles in the UK.

want to build a norco savage with a 80/100 but dont have yet have the mad skills you have. learning though slowly, documenting on youtube as and when i can.

got any vids to document the build?

Not much of a Techy mate, never uploaded a vid in my life, that is something i am going to have to learn.

I like them scott ransoms and the gamblers, another i have my eye on is the giant glory 2009, have a look at the frame, perfect space with plenty of substantial fixings for mounting a large RC motor.

http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/_upload_au/bikes/models/xxl/2009/2000_glory_dh0.jpg

But i dont see the point in building another that is the same but different, i have to take it to another level so will probably build the next frame from scratch, i have some ideas :idea: :evil: :D

much the same suspension idea as on DH comp that so many on here are sporting.

The ransom was my first full susser build. havent uploaded a pic of it recently but i installed some girvin girder forks with a fox float in the head of the suspension. It give a cool moto feel to the ride and is good on roads and easy trails but not really up to proper offroading. That is going to happen with the norco's. Im in bangor at the moment studying an MSc in comp science so I take the techy remark in my stride. that said an iphone and some free video software makes it very easy to document the build.

Intrigued about you charging situation. i take it they are probo 10s packs so you are running 30s and charging at 10s on the Icharger

I have a hyperion running off a couple of hp server supplies. trying to come up with a HV bulk charger , Like you I have my ideas.

Anyway if you do get a UK ride day going please pm me.

What's really ingenious about your design is the plug that switches from series to parallel in an instant. What scares me is high power setups, whether those contacts would be good enough to handle the high current that goes through the connectors. What kind of connectors did you use for this parallel/series piece? Really an ingenious idea that you perfected right off the bat.

Brilliant. Things I've been wondering if it's even possible to do (like hubbie mid-drive with the chainring overlapping the motor, and plug-and-play series to parallel) and then, BAM. Not only possible, but absolutely beautiful.

Not much more to say. Inspired.

It's gorgeous alright. I had to go buy another keyboard as it shorted from the rivers of tears.

:shock:

I can't really think of any other superlatives to use that haven't been used already. Well done! You are an artist.

What's the performance like?

Thanks for all the nice coments guys, a lot of thanks has to go to all the contributing ES members, i have found many answers on here and if you see an answer to your problems in my work then i have given a bit back. I see this bike as just a bit of simple fabrication, didnt even bother with the cad for this one, been doing stuff like this as a profession and for fun all my life, built loads of vehicles converted for dissabled drivers and passengers, camper vans, mini buses, ambulances, 20 years as a vehicle builder many of those years doing the design and fabrication stages but also seeing projects through to the end, these days i manage to make a living from my other hobby which is competition shooting as people like the work i do in that field, maybe ebikes will add to that in the future, at the moment this is just for me.

The connectors i used in the changer where these;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5x-6-5mm-Gold-Bullet-Connector-plug-RC-battery-LIPO-UK-SELLER-A-331-/320845673707?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item4ab3e474eb

The bike as it is know weighs 85lb's or 38kg depending how old you are :D I think i can get a bit more off when i put smaller chainwheels on it and shorten the chains.

The day job, i would like to say what ever i feel like doing when i get up in a morning :D but i do have to earn a crust, Gun smith.
I will get some performance figures and video done just as soon as i have finalised the setup.

Simon.

recumpence said:
Umm, holy crap.

Excuse me while I use the little boy's room. I think I soiled myself.............

Freaking AMAZING!!!

Matt
Thanks Matt, your powerfull tadpole :shock: was an eye opener to what is possible with electric power and spurred me on, will you let me know when the 4" motors are available, i think you will understand when i say i NEED one :D

Simon.

Tench said:
Thanks for all the nice coments guys, a lot of thanks has to go to all the contributing ES members, i have found many answers on here and if you see an answer to your problems in my work then i have given a bit back. I see this bike as just a bit of simple fabrication, didnt even bother with the cad for this one, been doing stuff like this as a profession and for fun all my life, built loads of vehicles converted for dissabled drivers and passengers, camper vans, mini buses, ambulances, 20 years as a vehicle builder many of those years doing the design and fabrication stages but also seeing projects through to the end, these days i manage to make a living from my other hobby which is competition shooting as people like the work i do in that field, maybe ebikes will add to that in the future, at the moment this is just for me.

The connectors i used in the changer where these;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5x-6-5mm-Gold-Bullet-Connector-plug-RC-battery-LIPO-UK-SELLER-A-331-/320845673707?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item4ab3e474eb

The bike as it is know weighs 85lb's or 38kg depending how old you are :D I think i can get a bit more off when i put smaller chainwheels on it and shorten the chains.

The day job, i would like to say what ever i feel like doing when i get up in a morning :D but i do have to earn a crust, Gun smith.
I will get some performance figures and video done just as soon as i have finalised the setup.

Simon.

Your too humble bar far Simon!! :p what you have made here is stunning as you can tell from the responses that you have had already, I cant wait to see what you have planned for the next build... Kudos on the gunsmithery as well 8) two of my buddies own and run Rowan Engineering, they make CNC custom parts for air rifles, they turn out some pretty amazing stuff and have just invested in loads more CNC equipment, they will knock up anything even ebike parts :mrgreen: if you need any bespoke stuff making up worth giving them a shout.

http://rowanengineering.com

titleimage2.jpg

Knoxie, I have met Derek from Rowan a few times and even done some work on a gun for him, all my guns use his triggers, he is a master of the cnc and makes some nice stuff! I also have the run of a couple of good engineering firms owned by friends that do my cnc parts for the guns. As you will know he started Rowan as a part time income supplement and i am glad to see he has made a full time success of it. On the competition curcuit i see a lot of his parts.

I have some of the parts in that picture of Rowans work, i also recognise all the others and know exactly which make model and version of the rifles they fit, how sad is that! :D

Ha brilliant stuff! yes I have known Dave and Derek for a very long time, me and Derek (mainly Derek to be fair!) made an ebike years ago using one of the motors from the Hypnodisc robot that they made for robot wars, they are top blokes and are very skilled engineers, I know if I were to go and try an RC setup I would get them to make the parts for me.

Tench said:
recumpence said:
Umm, holy crap.

Excuse me while I use the little boy's room. I think I soiled myself.............

Freaking AMAZING!!!

Matt
Thanks Matt, your powerfull tadpole :shock: was an eye opener to what is possible with electric power and spurred me on, will you let me know when the 4" motors are available, i think you will understand when i say i NEED one :D

Simon.
They are in development and running at this point. The sensors are on the front burner right now. I also have a new, custom 3 inch motor I am working on as well. PM me and I can cover that further with you if you would like.

Anyway, back to your thread.

I LOVE the crank spiders as shaft supports and the chain side support doubles as a chain guard. Brilliant, absolutely thinking outside the box.

Matt

Wow! Once again I am floored by someones skills on here and the time they have to create these things! How many hours are in that build?? Beautiful, simply beautiful! Now GET IT DIRTY!! lol!

recumpence said:
Tench said:
recumpence said:
Umm, holy crap.

Freaking AMAZING!!!

Matt

Simon.
They are in development and running at this point. The sensors are on the front burner right now. I also have a new, custom 3 inch motor I am working on as well. PM me and I can cover that further with you if you would like.

Anyway, back to our thread.

I LOVE the crank spiders as shaft supports and the chain side support doubles as a chain guard. Brilliant, absolutely thinking outside the box.

Matt
If a component is only doing one job it is not working hard enough, motor mount, torque arm, chain gaurd and tensioner mounting all in one!
I will keep my eye on your thread about the 4 series motors, it will be later in the year when i start another build but if you could bear me in mind or put my name on one i will try and do it justice :D

P1000052.jpg

Just blows me away.

You ever think of taking orders for frame builds? I'm saving up at the mo'.

Cheers,
Chris

Back