Specialized BigHit + Mac build

Hell's Bells! LOL!

No really, Its a TIG that will do AC current and DC current...

Whiplash said:
Hell's Bells! LOL!
:lol:

Well i juuuuust managed to get the bike finished in time for the trip up north to the Australian Safari last weekend. And what a journey it was heading there... Torrential rain and cyclonic winds (well close - gusts up to 125kmh from what i heard) with both bikes bolted to the back of the ute out in the weather :roll:

I kept the batteries in the car with us, tied bags over the throttles and also taped over the CA / Watt Meter frame openings just incase some H2o got in and luckily we got away with it! 500km journey in the shittiest weather imaginable and both bikes worked fine the next day - sweeeeet! :mrgreen:

With the exception of mine which had another sticking WOT moment while having some fun on a beach, luckily with a few quick flicks of the throttle it released and i was able to pull it up and no testicles were hurt this time lol. I'll have to open the throttle and have a look at it as its the same problem that caused my accident not long after getting the Intense running initally some months ago.

Mel's BigHit however ran perfectly and she loved it and loves finally having rear suspension. Having said that we have a few upgrades on the way from CRC - some blue Wellgo DMR V8 copy pedals and a pair of 2013 Avid Elixir 1 brakes with 203mm rotors front and rear. Her current brakes a bit mis-matched so going to a matched pair will give a more consistant feel at the levers between the two.

As it stands with the current smaller 12s 10ah Turnigy pack in it, her BigHit weighs in at 24kg. Not too bad considering its running 2.7" DH tyres, heavy duty DH tubes and 140mm/160mm of suspension travel.

012.JPG
004.JPG
006.JPG
014.JPG
563-4.jpg
85972.jpg

Paul :D

Looks great. Sorry the powdercoaters weren't up to it.

We have a signwriter here in Ballarat who vinyl wraps his car a new colour every month. Same donor car, he just switches the wrap with a blowdryer.

Nice work here!

Subscribed!

Tommy L sends.... \\m// from the "Great White North" \\m//

Cheers guys.

Samd said:
Looks great. Sorry the powdercoaters weren't up to it. We have a signwriter here in Ballarat who vinyl wraps his car a new colour every month. Same donor car, he just switches the wrap with a blowdryer.
Overall it looks ok. I spose the signwriter can do it on the cheap, half his luck!

Cheers Pendragon8000, nah no vids yet, a GoPro 2 or 3 is on my shopping list so probably early next year :)

Paul,
Nice job man. But tell me something. That box looks like it is much bigger than it really needs to be, to hold the battery pack you have in it. Do you have any pics of it's exposed guts? I'm gearing up to make a very similar build and it would be great to see what's inside.
Chalz

Hey Paul, I FINALLY got a TIG coming!! What is your opinion on going thinner on the Aly? I was thinking of doing 1/16" thick with doubling plates in critical areas. I will be doing this frame for my mid drive with the motor converted to shaft spinning so the hub will be structural as well so I'm thinking it would be OK what do you think?? 6061 of course..

Sorry for the delay guys, i've had an ES break over the last few weeks.

Ozjet said:
Nice work there
Cheers Ozjet :)

Chalz said:
Paul,
Nice job man. But tell me something. That box looks like it is much bigger than it really needs to be, to hold the battery pack you have in it. Do you have any pics of it's exposed guts? I'm gearing up to make a very similar build and it would be great to see what's inside.
Chalz
Thanks Chalz. The box might be a little deceiving in the pics, its about 150mm high by only 80mm wide. The opening for the battery is approx 120mm high. Its just enough for a 12s 15ah lipo pack and room for wiring, though Mel only wants to run a 10ah pack for now to keep the weight down. I have a pic of it's exposed guts on my camera which isn't here at the moment, i'll post the pic when i get my camera back this weekend.

Whiplash said:
Hey Paul, I FINALLY got a TIG coming!! What is your opinion on going thinner on the Aly? I was thinking of doing 1/16" thick with doubling plates in critical areas. I will be doing this frame for my mid drive with the motor converted to shaft spinning so the hub will be structural as well so I'm thinking it would be OK what do you think?? 6061 of course..
Awsome! :mrgreen: ('bout time! :p ) Hmmm, 1/16" is getting a little on the thin side for my liking (with aluminium), if it were cromo or mild steel it'd be fine. If i were you, i'd stick to 1/8" at a minimum, i find it to be a good compromise between strength and weight for most uses.
Don't get me wrong, try the 1/16" if you like, but for the minimal weight saving over 1/8", you might have more piece of mind with the thicker material.

Yeah, I just got to compare the two and I think even though its a good bit of weight I can shave off, you are right, its a bit too thin. I can bend it by hand so that's a NONO! LOL!

Thanks!

Back