SUITABLE FULL SUSPENSION FRAMES?

This pic is NOT the real illustration, but just a few days ago I saw a guy ride by with a shock above the crossbar. There was something resembling a normal amount of space for a nonsuspension bike. No chance to get the make of the bike, but he'll probably be around and I'll find out later.

full_shock2.jpg

Very interesting! Please do. From the pic, it appears to have a handlebar control. Without a rear link, one can only speculate it is for frame flex attenuation.

Curious indeed, KF :)

If you really want a large triangle for a central battery pack, do what makes you happy, but...I'd like to suggest that there is an option that is under-used, which many would benefit from. This battery housing is the closest to what I'm thinking of, and I could also add two more side-by side LiPo bricks just in front of the bottom-bracket, if desired (in addition to any battery mass located in the frame triangle):

From whereswally606
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12847&start=210#p581187
file.php

I just got one of these for a nice price. LOVE that battery mount area! Steel rear triangle too! :D

Attachments

• GT-RTS-1.jpg
    GT-RTS-1.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 4,867
+1 subscribed.

Time to set up some ebay alerts!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=fastrax+cfd+2000&_sacat=0&_from=R40
$(KGrHqV,!lkE1F3,JnOiBNd,CDuVdw~~_3.JPG

antarctic74 said:
I'm also looking for a full-suspension frame. Since batteries should be down and center, I looked for frames where the rear shock is at the top of the triangle. Bottom of triangle would then be free space. Even this configuration won't suit those who need the entire triangle for batteries. But like dogman said, you should be able to fit 5 Ah of batteries below the shock.

Cube AMS

Ghost AMR 9000 (except Lector variant)

Radon QLT Litening

The MacMahone make one in Cromo 4130, may be a bit small but could easily be modified.
New one for sale on eBay now with air shock http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MacMahon...cling_New_&hash=item43b671cdb3#ht_4887wt_1081

Attachments

• macmahone Kingdom cromo 4130 frame small.jpg
    macmahone Kingdom cromo 4130 frame small.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 4,676
well, yes, if you are looking to buy new...I do not imagine there are many of those turning up second hand on e-bay...and it it $600.

well thanks for all your input guys....decided to go with a phasor...almost done putting in 100 volt 13 AH system...like phasor but I think it was meant for narrower batteries (76 volt packs and lower) the 100's gotta fit sideways which keeps me at only 13 AH unless I get custom packs or lower voltage....photo enclosed

dogman said:
Long as we are fantasizing, the rear shock mount could also support the rear rack, or long seat if you want to go motocycle style seat. Really, it's just the bomber frame with a better rear shock.

Looks a bit like the Riese und Müller frames:

Homage-touring-56-anthrazit.jpg

Delite-traveller-54-schwarz.jpg

mentalmanno1.jpg

mentalmanno5.jpg

Currently not in production yet AFAIK, but the mental manno.. big meaty droputs.. good battery space.. i think it will be about the cost of a greyborg.

neptronix said:
Odd to see dropouts orientated that way. When you consider what most hub motor axles are, it's not how to hold them.

I just found a new one too me. A muddy fox rift. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ADULTS-OLDER-CHILDS-MUDDYFOX-RIFT-SE-SPECIAL-EDITION-BIKE-EXCELLENT-CONDITION-/121295094820?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item1c3dc04424

I agree, it's not ideal. But torque arms/plates solve the problem.
These dropouts are designed for compatibility with single speed gearing, so that horizontal adjustment = chain tension adjustment.

My 'da bomb' also has these same horizontal dropouts, but i solved the potential safety issue this way:

dabomb_torqueplates.jpg

Hi All,

I hadn't seen this thread before now.
Just want to show a couple of solutions I came up with for battery mounting to mountain bike frames.
image.jpg

The centre black bike is a Santa Cruz Bullit, super sturdy single pivot frame.
There are two carbon battery boxes that come off the same mould.
Each are 3 layers of 200gsm biax carbon fibre in epoxy resin.
Not even 1mm thick.
The box under the diagonal holds four 6S 8AH Nanotech's and the box off the front of the forks holds another two, providing an 18S 2P arrangement of 1065 WHours nominally.
The draft (taper) on the bottom box allowed space for an 18S BMS which has since been removed due to reliability issues.
The bike feels really well balanced and is a joy to ride, 6spot gator brakes really add to ones confidence when flying down dirt tracks over 50 kph.

The white bike to the right side of the image is a Giant Trance, by measuring and 3D modeling the frame I was able package the same 18S 2P of Nanatech's in a carbon box within the triangle.
It was a very tight fit.
All the boxes are lashed to the frame with 1.7mm Dynex Cord which is good for 150kg, so with 4 lashes they stay very tight and the bikes can be jumped without issue.

The third bike is a Giant Glory that a friend Astan built, he's on ES but I can't remember his nickname. The batteries for this bike are not mounted on the bike but in a backpack. It has a 20S 3P pack of twelve 5S 5AH zippys providing 1110 WHours nominally.
Weighing about 7.5 kgs it's a bit to carry around.
Cheers
Paul

That's some great work Paul. I just converted a Bullitt for a mate and about to TIG weld up a tube to hang from the downtube, otherwise we might have gone with your carbon one.
Is that a BPM in the rear?

Thanks Samd,
The Bullit and the Trance have HS3540's with upgraded phase wires and bearings,
The glory has a 5403 crystalyte.

That's an awesome collection mate.

I found a NOS frame (no components) from a Diamondback frame importer yesterday, perfect for dropping a tank into the lower downtube.
I'll be offering it in the For Sale section soon (once it arrives) as a custom cut and shut tank weld-in job once the buyer agrees on a desired battery pack/tank shape.

I'd love to keep it for myself and drop a new Cellman high density 29E pack into it for the long work commute and some fun on the way home. :twisted:
I'll feel bad driving the grinder into this frame :| But I can't wait to see the result! 8)

View attachment 1

Back