Survey of People who Ebike.

London Muhaaaaaaaaa!!!!
Back in 85, I used to go into London every week. I was visiting two offices. It took 12 minutes to use the train.... door to door between the two offices. It took 23 minutes to walk. One day I decided to drive my rent car on in to Central London rather than my normal practice of parking it at Morden station and tubing in to town. OMG the parking was outrageous. It took me an hour and 20 minutes to comute between the two offices by car. An Ebike or even a bicycle would have been sweet.

Interesting poll
1) I'm 6ft, 175lbs.

2) I can't afford a car but for different reasons then usual. Here in New York city the biggest cost would be parking. $300 per month near home and probably $500 near work. The distance is 5 miles and driving takes longer then walking (traffic). I bike/take subway depending on weather or mood.

1) Been working out since a teen, now in my late 20s.

2) Getting around NYC via car vs. e-bike in many cases takes longer. And I was tired of my always feeling environmentally, socially, and physically irresponsible while driving my car. I was also tired of car insurance, registration, insurance, parking, maintenance and upkeep, storage, gas prices, pollution (noise and air,) restriction of movement etc.

I've had more fun these last few months riding my e-bike, than almost a lifetime of car driving.

hi giveahoot. so you're in nyc too? great! where're you at? i'm also in my late 20ies.

for me the worst thing about e-bikes in ny is that if you want to go anywhere outside of the city you have to cary the bike over the stairs. that's why i still mostly use my regular bike. i wonder if you're also annoyed by this limitation and how you handle it.

for example:
- sourthern new jersey: sea streak ferry (not bad, but expensive)
- middle new jersey -path to newark, stairs, turnstiles, horrible experience on ebike. can't go via tunnels.
- nothern jersey/nyack - george washington bridge. lots of stairs. suicide with ebike. had to take my ebike apart to carry it.
- westchester - going through manhattan should be ok, never tried it. going through triborough bridge is horrible. narrow path, lots of stairs, broken glass. bad even on regular bike.
- long island - good stuff is far away (montauk), great on lirr with bike, pretty bad with ebike (stairs, trains).

short trips in manhattan/brooklyn/queens - nice, but risky to leave $$$ bike on the street locked. also not worth it, as i have no problem pedalling 1-10 miles.

sofar e-bike for me was more of a research project than practical solution in nyc. i understand this is a bit offtopic, but would very much apprieciate feedback from others in nyc

1 20lbs overwieght
2 Yes but its a Honda Insight Hybrid Average 64MPG over 42K miles

Tobyjug
Specialized Rockhopper with Golden Motors 36V hub
Currie E-Zip Mountain Trails 24V just purchased from Walmart

1) No 1.6M 60KG

2) Have Nissan cifero for those really wet days otherwise E-bike

3) had many jobs Electronic assembly, Automotive security/audio technician, Taxi driver, Cat 5/6 network/telecoms Installation engineer, and currently Petroleum transfer technician / Financial controller

I figure with petrol around $1.60 / L possibly $2.00 by the end of the year which costs about $5~6 return trip to work or E-bike with a cost of $0.05~0.10 it makes sense to leave car at home although you still pay for registration and I chose to have insurance as well but if I didnt that could save me even more

:arrow: 1. I weigh 800 lbs and have 4 cruiser seats mounted to the seatpost to support my massive ass.

:arrow: 2. I have a huge flat bed truck I drive. I sit on the bed and drive with hand controls.

:arrow: 3. I don't need batteries on my e-bike. I hook wires up to myself and use bio-fat fusion.

5'9, 178lbs ready to ride. Not fat.

I build and tune fast cars for a living.

http://www.resnickauto.com/video/800hp-integra.avi
I'm in the drivers seat. 800+hp at the wheels needed some extra weight to stop the tires from spinning on the dyno.

http://www.resnickauto.com/video/SuprasDyno02.wmv
A few of the high HP local Supras. The black car was dyno'd for the first time on a new setup, and has since put down 911hp and 688ft/lbs. :twisted:

D-Man said:
:arrow: 1. I weigh 800 lbs and have 4 cruiser seats mounted to the seatpost to support my massive ass.

So 'D-Man' would refer to the overall shape of your body? :)

I stay in great shape riding on a daily basis, year round.
By not having to support a car & all the various parasites that hang off of it (the worst IMO, the insurance company) was able to retire early.
To drive a car again I'd have to get a job & to quote a great pholosopher, 'work is for losers'.

Lowell said:

I'm in the drivers seat. 800+hp at the wheels needed some extra weight to stop the tires from spinning on the dyno.

You're well positioned to start a high-performance EV conversion business. As gas prices continue to rise, enviro-concern grows, and good electrical energy storage device prices fall, there's bound to be substantial demand for conversion of all these old ICE devices over to electric.

xyster said:
Lowell said:

You're well positioned to start a high-performance EV conversion business. As gas prices continue to rise, enviro-concern grows, and good electrical energy storage device prices fall, there's bound to be substantial demand for conversion of all these old ICE devices over to electric.

Possibly. It all depends on battery technology and cost, which is the current problem with all EVs. I'm sure Tesla Roadsters would sell like hotcakes if they were priced the same as a Solstice.

The majority of my customers don't really care about gas prices though, which are cheap compared to how much we pay for 117 octane gasoline. VP C16 is about $12 per US gallon right now, and more in Canada.

Lowell said:
The majority of my customers don't really care about gas prices though, which are cheap compared to how much we pay for 117 octane gasoline. VP C16 is about $12 per US gallon right now, and more in Canada.

They'll probably come around once electric racers start trouncing their ICE competition -- which, due to the nature of electric motors, is bound to start happening eventually.

xyster said:
Lowell said:

They'll probably come around once electric racers start trouncing their ICE competition -- which, due to the nature of electric motors, is bound to start happening eventually.

yes, but there is still going to be endurance issues. plus its one thing trouncing stock cars, 900hp cars would be running VERY good 1/4 mile times, like 9s,10s,11s - for an electric car to be able to run that AND have a decent range it would reuqire a TON of lithium batteries....

i'm thinking of that white zombie car - had good acceleration for its drag runs, but still not up to the speed of say a 911hp supra, and definatly couldn't drive 500klms on a charge :(:(

that being said, if someone could convert my car (supra) to do that i'd start saving now!

http://www.plasmaboyracing.com/whitezombie.php

Away from home at other drag tracks where clean AC line power may not be available, a gasoline fueled 18 hp 2 cylinder Subaru generator makes 10 KW to feed the PFC75 and keep White Zombie's pack charged up.

Power has to come from somewhere...

http://www.wrightspeed.com/x1.html

Now this is more like it... they claim an 11.5s 1/4 mile which is not bad, but it looks like a lot of sacrafices for light weight. (like exterior panels :lol: )

BiGH said:
yes, but there is still going to be endurance issues. plus its one thing trouncing stock cars, 900hp cars would be running VERY good 1/4 mile times, like 9s,10s,11s - for an electric car to be able to run that AND have a decent range it would reuqire a TON of lithium batteries....

Away from home at other drag tracks where clean AC line power may not be available, a gasoline fueled 18 hp 2 cylinder Subaru generator makes 10 KW to feed the PFC75 and keep White Zombie's pack charged up.

Fuel cells can solve the range and power-portability problems -- just not affordably, yet. I'm just saying the writing is on the wall: the ICE's days of preeminence are numbered.

back on topic :oops:

1) 190 LBS, 6' tall not fat but not slim either

2) yes, have a VW, drive only once or twice per week.

3) machinist (15yrs), engine rebuilder (5yrs) geophisics (3yrs)

Since my new and better real world adaptable ebike (Bionx system) I rarely drive cars and enjoy the drive much more. I think I'm having too much fun :shock:

BiGH said:
Two words... Tesla Roadster.
It's fast with range, but yeah it has a lot of litium ion cells - 6,831 of them to be exact.

I'm 5'6 and weigh 151 lbs. Not fat of course.

I mostly drive my car (2007 Camry Hybrid) and just use the e-bike for fun. That's partly because I cannot go too many places, such as to work (9 miles away), without using a freeway.

1. Little over the average weight for height but not fat - stocky build - if anything I'm heavier now for riding - muscle weighs more than fat.
2. 1x family car, 1x motorbike & a 70's sports coupe (saving for retirement - to rebuild). Prior to e-bike the motorbike was ridden as my primary mode of transport - less than 500kms a year in the car - which I can no longer reverse park anywhere near as well as I used to. The car averages about 6000kms a year - from the lady driving) - she normally uses the "jogger/bike trailer" for school trips & local shopping. The car for monthly shopping/work & visiting friends - but her E-bike is nearly completed :roll:
3. as for job - it's considered "professional" - but is simply what I do - not who I am.

1 No 5' 9" 130lb. I'm on the slim side.
2. a small 4 cylinder car. It's my 4th car since i start driving 5 years ago. Yeah I don't have much luck with cars. Too many accidents.
3. I'm still a student. Computer engineer. Graduating this may. Pending application to grads school.

1. No. 6'1" ~175 lbs.

2. Hell no! Could you afford a car working 12 hours a week :p?

Methinks I need to increase my hours to pay for a few things...

Link said:
Methinks I need to increase my hours to pay for a few things...

Working just means missing out on all the fun stuff. :D

1) 6 foot, 167pounds.

2) 390 CI FE blocked '66 Ford F100, with no mufflers. A Hemi powered AWD '05 Durango. Enviroment? I am the problem. :twisted:
The Ebike will hit 1000 miles at its one year point, and has replaced the truck for in-town errands. its also got me to drop 10-15 pounds and have more energy during the day.

3) I'm A Network Tech for Ma Bell. My Degree is an Associate level EE, but I was doing some minor R&D work for a small company before going to work for AT&T. Most of my electrical experiance is practicel. I've owned various British sports cars since I was 16. They're wired by Lucas. The reason the Brittish have learned to enjoy warm beer is Lucas wires their refrigerators. :twisted:

1. Average weight, according to the charts.

2. Lots of ICE vehicles, most non-running project toys, only one (turbo diesel work vehicle) that actually gets miles put on it.

Back