Tesla Model "S" more details !!

LockH said:

A quick back of the envelope math (by dummies on the internet) makes it seem like they are loosing X amount of dollars per car sold. What they are actually doing is investing in the battery factory and R&D, faster than sales are occurring. They aren't losing money on every sale, they are just using investment dollars right now to set them up nicely in the future.

It's the difference between operational expenses and cost of goods sold. I bet they have a pretty good margin on each car, and they are obviously not shy about spending cash to get themselves positioned as the worlds leading battery manufacturer.

Hehe. Good Stuff JR. "Startling headlines sell more newspapers". `Thing *I* like about "publishing online" aka posting in these forums is that others can then"pipe up" any time to correct/elaborate/update/add some new/old perspectives, etc. :)

johnrobholmes said:
LockH said:

A quick back of the envelope math (by dummies on the internet) makes it seem like they are loosing X amount of dollars per car sold. What they are actually doing is investing in the battery factory and R&D, faster than sales are occurring. They aren't losing money on every sale, they are just using investment dollars right now to set them up nicely in the future.

It's the difference between operational expenses and cost of goods sold. I bet they have a pretty good margin on each car, and they are obviously not shy about spending cash to get themselves positioned as the worlds leading battery manufacturer.

Close. You should be saying "faster than they are being built". They actually have a HUGE backlog of sales that they don't count until the car is made, and their only production facility is not at 100% capacity as its being upgraded to build the new model X.
Its also why they don't advertise. They don't need to yet.

In business you can juggle the numbers to show any result you want to.
I would be surprised if the Battery Giga plant is not a separately listed company for legal and financial reasons, and if so it's set up costs should not be loaded onto the Car company financials.
I still think they should be measured by the GAAP system to compare with others in similar industries.
Sure some of the costs are for future investments, but they are also still having to pay for past investments and developments, an it has to be tricky balancing the books with only 50,000 sales/year
They really need to produce (and sell) a lot more vehicles to make their business model sustainable.
Oh, and they do advertise,..maybe not TV or print media but I get Emails almost weekly, inviting me for test drives etc ?

I get emails too, they do have marketing and news releases which is often signed by Elon himself. It's refreshing to have a face to the company. I don't know of any other consumer volume car company with a "face" that isn't merely a paid actor in TV commercials.

Good point about production levels vs demand. They can't meet demand even for luxury priced vehicles! Once they get a 30 to 40k offering on the table with proper production line it will really turn the tables. Exciting times! I'm counting the days until I pay off my turning center so that I can afford a badass electric car without working myself to the bone.

http://www.greenfleetmagazine.com/n...50813&utm_source=Email&utm_medium=Enewsletter Someday the technology will mean no more high speed chases on the news? :|
A pair of researchers hacked a Tesla Model S battery-electric vehicle to test its security capabilities, although Tesla has distributed a security patch to all Model S owners, reported Wired.
The two researchers — Kevin Mahaffey, chief technology officer of mobile security firm Lookout, and Marc Rogers, principal security researcher at Cloudflare — were able to start and drive the Model S by connecting a laptop into a network cable located behind the car's driver-side dashboard. The researchers were also able to shut down the car's engine remotely, while another driver was behind the wheel.
After finding the security vulnerabilities in the Model S, the researchers worked with Tesla to develop fixes for those issues, according to the Wired story.
The hacking comes in the wake of hackings of General Motors and Jeep vehicles.

It is hard not to think these hackers are running protection scams at a corporate level.
Most of these hacks involve being physical access to the automobile. How is that much different than damaging the brake or throttle lines?

Any way - it doesn't sound like the Gigafactory is being built by a separate (financial) division of Tesla based on their public statements: http://www.forbes.com/sites/brookecrothers/2015/08/13/tesla-pushes-back-on-headlines-trumpeting-model-s-losses/

“One-time spends on Model X development or Gigafactory. Model X investment peaked in Q2 and Q3 due to prototyping, lots of engineering design and testing by suppliers and our validation, crash testing and reliability testing,” the spokesperson added.

To me this is company that sounds like a buy.

I really want to like tesla but it can be hard sometimes so im going to wait till the "cheap" model comes out.

Until then can someone check my maths on this massive error on the site.

It says 12000 miles in the uk costs £1300 at an assumed £1.17per litre@39.2mpg. I worked it out and its actually just over £1600 . Why would you do that to yourselves while trying to promote savings to potential buyers lol?

http://my.teslamotors.com/en_GB/models/design

http://www.calculator.net/fuel-cost-calculator.html?tripdistance=12000&tripdistanceunit=miles&fuelefficiency=39.2&fuelefficiencyunit=mpg&gasprice=5.31&gaspriceunit=gallon&x=46&y=12

what an oversight lol. The first time i saw that I thought god what a rubbish saving. Attention to detail fail

A local motoring press review of the P85D was very complimentary of the Tesla ( comparing to BMW M5) ..
....but it did comment that the retail price in Australia of the car as tested (21" wheels, leather, HiFi upgrade, etc etc). ..
Totalled $233,000 of our Aussi dollars ! :shock: .......and no rebates down here either. :x

The model 3 is anticipated to cost $35.000 USD and still be very fast. Thats what Im holding out for. mainly because its 20 percent smaller and my roads cant even fit a civic down hardly lol. Also I dont need 300 miles range and a huuuge car for just me

I just got a free mug, hat and 16gb memory stick in the shape of a mini diecast super charger in the post.The website has been corrected to show the better/correct fuel savings. Gonna go take of my lycra maths man suit off and relax now.

Just got this email:
600x500_hero_ms60.jpg

Today we’re excited to reintroduce the Model S 60. Starting at $58,500 (after incentives) or $667 a month (details here), the Model S 60 delivers 210 miles (EPA est.) of range, a top speed of 130 mph and zero-to-60 acceleration in 5.5 seconds.

With all-wheel drive, the Model S 60D provides more range (218 miles EPA est.) and faster acceleration (zero-to-60 in 5.2 seconds).

Today we’re excited to reintroduce the Model S 60. Starting at $58,500 (after incentives) or $667 a month (details here), the Model S 60 delivers 210 miles (EPA est.) of range, a top speed of 130 mph and zero-to-60 acceleration in 5.5 seconds.

With all-wheel drive, the Model S 60D provides more range (218 miles EPA est.) and faster acceleration (zero-to-60 in 5.2 seconds).

Like all Tesla vehicles, the 60 and 60D come standard with active safety features and Autopilot hardware. And both versions can later be upgraded through a software update to 75 kWh for about 20% extra range.

Anyone who buys a 60 or any other new Model S or Model X between now and July 15 through the Tesla Referral Program gets a $1,000 credit towards the purchase. Just get the special personal code of any Tesla owner and enter it at the time of purchase.

Ontario U-turn means Tesla buyers will get full $14,000 subsidy:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...000-rebate-on-their-purchase/article33938617/

Starts:
The Ontario government has flip-flopped on the electric vehicle incentive program, reinstating the maximum subsidy for battery-electric vehicles priced between $75,000 and $150,000.

The move, which is part of Ontario’s Climate change Action Plan, permits buyers of most new Tesla vehicles to receive the full $14,000 rebate instead of just $3,000. It retroactively applies to vehicles bought since Jan. 1.

Back