Tesla Model S Sport; 0-60 in 4.5 seconds, 320 mile range

neptronix

Administrator
Staff member
http://green.autoblog.com/2011/10/03/tesla-model-s-sport-to-rival-bmw-m5-0-60-mph-in-4-5-seconds/

According to Green Car Reports, Musk says the $80,000 high-performance version of the Model S will be offered with a battery pack sized at 85-kWh to give the sedan a 300-mile range. The Sport version will come equipped with enhancements that cut its 0 to 60-mph time from 5.5 to somewhere between 4.4 and 4.6 seconds.

Additionally, Musk confirmed the Model S will be offered with optional aerodynamic wheels, boosting range to 320 miles. Tesla's CEO stated:
People were skeptical about whether we could build an electric car with a 300-mile range. And we've gone and made one with a 320-mile range.

Electric drive keeps improving exponentially.. this is an exciting time to be alive. This car may be spendy but compare it to the $100k+ roadster that had far less range.

85kwh?!?! OMFG. That's rediculous. It's amazing they can sell a car with 85kwh, for under 100k. It's also completely excessive, but I love it. Long live Tesla.

grindz145 said:
It's also completely excessive,
It's for the U.S.A. market...thus "excessive" isn't possible. :lol: :roll:

I'm shocked too..
No pun intended.

I believe the 160 mile range version will come in at $56k or so. Not attractive as a Nissan Leaf then, pricewise.. but better performance and style.

I got to see one in person. It's kinda neat.

I think it's fantastic what they are doing for the EV market. Even if nobody ever bought one, or even if the price was something astronomical, they are still proving that EV's can have real useful vehicle performance and range.

The first step to making cost effective gasoline replacement EV's is to first make a gasoline replacement EV, then you can start working on the cost effective part. I think they made that first step, and did a great job.

It looks fantastic, like a cross between an Aston Martin and a Jaguar. The handling should be spot on too that the battery is the chassis.

€60,000 is a good price for that type of performance car. How much do you think the battery back costs? Supposedly they claim $100 a kilowatt but I would imagine that is just for bare cells. Would they be able to do make the 85 kw unit for 10k?

Screw Top Gear.

They pay ~$245/kw-hr for bare cells from the rumor I heard.

The pack is an extremely elaborate construction device, I would be surprised if it wasn't adding at least $100/kw-hr to the price of the pack in labor and materials to construct.

My wild-ass-guess is Tesla's cost on the 85kw-hr battery is ~29,000usd.

liveforphysics said:
They pay ~$245/kw-hr for bare cells from the rumor I heard.

The pack is an extremely elaborate construction device, I would be surprised if it wasn't adding at least $100/kw-hr to the price of the pack in labor and materials to construct.

My wild-ass-guess is Tesla's cost on the 85kw-hr battery is ~29,000usd.

Yes, probably closer to the mark. Although I swear that it was $100 a kilowatt but looking at this article your price seems close to the mark. I forgot that the batteries are liquid cooled as well. That would certainly add a fair chunk of cost.

http://www.dailytech.com/Tesla+CEO+Calls+Nissans+Leaf+Battery+Tech+Primitive+Boasts+About+Model+S/article19286.htm

All in all, this car is really showing up the LEAF. I hope they start getting their money back on these investments. Suing Top Gear is a good place to start.

Renault are launching an entire fleet of electric cars from December onwards.

Paris has spent €200 million on an electric vehicle scheme, Autolib. That starts in just over a month's time.

http://www.france24.com/en/20110930-paris-launches-autolib-bluecar-bollore-all-electric-car-hire-scheme-velib?TB_iframe=true&height=450&width=850

We seem to be at a tipping point. Unfortunately, we are headed towards a huge recession - the timing is against us.

Finally! An EV to get excited about! It looks spectacular! I'm really surprised it's under 100k too. I'm not sure how Tesla sells cars, but if they use anything similar to normal car dealers I wouldn't be surprised if they did the "Market adjustment" BS and tacked an additional 20K onto it.

I believe the 160 mile range version will come in at $56k or so. Not attractive as a Nissan Leaf then, pricewise.. but better performance and style.

The Model S blows the Leaf away (haha) since it's got like 2-4 times the range, plain and simple.

Back