thanks all

andy1956

10 mW
thanks to all.
To cut a long story short i was out of country for 14 months(in hotter climes),I have a 36v 500w mtb with 2 13ah batterys.The bike started occasionally cutting out for no apparent reason a couple of days before i left so it was put in the shed and forgotten about until i came back,for some stupid reason i never removed the battery from the bike before i went away :shock: upon arrival back i put the battery on charge but it was completly dead,after a bit of investigation i found the cause of the bike cutting out,the hall wires had a partial short and while i was away had completely drained the battery down to 1,34 volt.

Well i assumed the battery was now junk but had a poke about on here and eventually plucked up the courage to pull it apart and investigate. I knew very little about what did what inside it but managed to get all the information i needed from this splendid site and figuerd out that the hall wire short must have drained the battery down to 1.34 volt even with the battery turned off??

Read all the bits on here i could find on batterys and BMS and decided to try charging the battery bypassing the bms(battery apart in barbecue in middle of garden).It took about 12 hours to get from1.34 volts to 30 volts using the stock charger supplied with the battery at this point i went to bed and left it on charge(still in the barbecue just in case) checked it this morning and it had stopped charging at 41.6 volt with all cells equal.

S once again thank you for all the invaluble information on here,it has saved me from throwing away what i initially thought was a scrap battery.The battery has been on a 10 mile test run an seems perfectly OK :D :D :D :D :D

Keep an eye out for decreased capacity if it got so low, and probably best to charge it outside the house.

After 4 full uses now and battery does not even get warm to the touch and range at the moment is about the same as the other identical battery :D :D

Sounds like a full recovery. Beats the snot out of discarding the battery and having to buy a new one.

I've had cells sit at zero volts for several years and still come back to their previous capacity. The initial recovery process is where the real danger is. Once you get the cells all up to the healthy range, I don't see why the risk would be increased. That said, all batteries have some risk of fire and it's a good idea to always charge in a fire-safe place.

Back