The first and BEST Qulbix Raptor mid-drive build!

I wanted to post a few pictures of the bike without the lower carbon fiber housing. Here is the bike with a simple sheet aluminum splash guard in place. You can see it is much less bulky without the large carbon housing. That housing is for snow riding. In the summer all that is needed is a splash shield.

I have put about 100 miles on the bike so far without any problems other than the broken belt from too much torque (a problem solved with clever gearing alteration). It is reliable, smooth, and extremely powerful.

Anyway, enjoy the pictures!

Matt

Attachments

• s1.jpg
    s1.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 5,066
  • s3.jpg
    s3.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 5,064
  • s4.jpg
    s4.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 5,066
  • s6.jpg
    s6.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 5,065
Matt,
I tried to PM you but did not work. Wondering if you are willing to part with any of your bike builds.
Thanks,
Ron

SlowCo said:
SlowCo said:
thompron12 said:
Matt,
I tried to PM you but did not work. Wondering if you are willing to part with any of your bike builds.
Thanks,
Ron
He has it for sale right here:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=85578&p=1251721

You're welcome 8) (or was it another buyer?)

Same guy.

He is trying to work out shipping at this point. I made an allowance toward shipping. So, we will see how it goes. No money has changed hands yet.

Matt

Hmm, the customer has vanished. I have not heard from him in days. So, it may be that I will be keeping this bike if I do not hear back soon. If that is the case, I have some cool changes I plan to implement. :mrgreen:

Matt

Hmm, the buyer has vanished again. Well, I am doing more r&d since I still have possession of the bike.

I have been looking at data the log on each controller with keen interest since I spoke with Castle Creations last week. I changed controller settings per their recommendations and have seen some interesting info.

The most interesting item I noticed is the voltage. Even with a modern 80ah lipo pack, under extremely hard pulls (580 amps) the pack sags 4.5 volts. The cool thing is, that is only for the split second the current is pulled (snapping the throttle hard for a power wheelie). Once that 1/2 second current snap is released, the pack voltage goes right back up instantly. So, the cells are happy and healthy. But, the drive system is pulling the max power the pack is capable of puting out. In the other words, it is a will balanced system.

Matt

recumpence said:
Hmm, the buyer has vanished again. Well, I am doing more r&d since I still have possession of the bike.

I have been looking at data the log on each controller with keen interest since I spoke with Castle Creations last week. I changed controller settings per their recommendations and have seen some interesting info.

The most interesting item I noticed is the voltage. Even with a modern 80ah lipo pack, under extremely hard pulls (580 amps) the pack sags 4.5 volts. The cool thing is, that is only for the split second the current is pulled (snapping the throttle hard for a power wheelie). Once that 1/2 second current snap is released, the pack voltage goes right back up instantly. So, the cells are happy and healthy. But, the drive system is pulling the max power the pack is capable of puting out. In the other words, it is a will balanced system.

Matt
Can you post what Castle controller you are using and your settings so we can all give it a try?

Here are some inspiration for next winters footage, e-bike drifting. Pretty good throttle control this guy.

[youtube]jxxx1RM74hM[/youtube]

Ecyclist said:
recumpence said:

Matt
Can you post what Castle controller you are using and your settings so we can all give it a try?

Edge 160. This list of settings is lengthy. I will try to post the list when I open up the software again.

John Bozi said:
Any sideways flex on high powered take off Mat?

Looks amazing.

I just keep breaking my swing arm bits on my intense m6 due to crabbing, but have ordered a 76.

ps. whats up with the date? 2003? that can't be right.

cheers

No flex at all.

I use an old camera. Every time I pull the battery out to charge, the date resets. I have gotten tired of reprogramming it.

Matt

I just did a range test. At an average of 25mph, the bike is good for 90 miles on a charge. That is with about 15% of the riding done at full throttle (40mph) and the rest at around 25 or so. This test was done with no pedaling (other than ghost pedaling occasionally to reduce the conspicuous look of my ride). I was not hypermiling. I was just cruising with some full throttle blasts thrown in for fun.

I cannot be happier! That means I am seeing about 35wh per mile. That is awesome for such a powerful bike.

Matt

recumpence said:
Edge 160. This list of settings is lengthy. I will try to post the list when I open up the software again.

Could you post the settings you use? I'm looking to increase the life span of the controller. Thanks!

These are the important settings I use;

Throttle- "Airplane Fixed Endpoint"
Battery voltage cutoff (12 cell lipo)- 42 volts
Motor Start Power- #5 (medium)
Throttle response- #2
PWM rate- 16khz

The PWM rate is important for the life of the controller. 16khz is what I run for Astro Flight motors.

The low throttle response is important to soften the otherwise extremely hard "Hit" when you get on the throttle. It also reduces the instantaneous amp spike from hitting the throttle too hard. This ramps the throttle up a tiny bit. This also allows taller gearing without over-amping the controller and controlling wheelies a bit.

Matt

This bike is hilarious. Though it is explosively powerful like a factory 125 two stroke, as well as looking quite aggressive, it is so quiet I tend to be left alone when riding. More often than not I ride in the park behind my house. With the throttle set for a slight ramp up delay, the rear wheel does not spin in the grass (unless I lean far forward). It just wheelies. So, no noise is being made and no grass is being chewed up. Therefore, I get no hassles from people. The police even leave me alone and just drive by. It is a strange, but very pleasant, feeling.

Matt

Back