The true sine-wave (vectored) controller & electronics set

Isnt true sign wave a false hope??? I meen when you look at one phase yes a true sign controller might help but once you eliminate the amount of time the other two phases are energized off the phase you are looking at the amount of the wave form you actualy get to put power into is alot flatter!

Wow! Somehow missed this thread until now! But Wow!

Very very cool stuff! Finally a controller running my favorite Mosfet and favorite Mosfet package too! So you guys know, there is more power to be had at 50-100v than 100-150v. The only reason I run 116v is because my controller all ready uses 150v mosfets. (It could be more powerful with 100v FETs, but since it's got 150v FETs, I take advantage of them).

This is very exciting stuff! Beautiful display too!

SplinterOz said:
nicobie said:
Doesn't LFP run a sine-wave controller on his beast of a bike?
I don't think so, it is a Sevcon. However he uses a Sin/Cos encoder rather than hall sensors.

My Sevcon gen 4 is a true sinus controller, and uses a Sine/Cosine encoder.

liveforphysics said:

Very very cool stuff! Finally a controller running my favorite Mosfet and favorite Mosfet package too! So you guys know, there is more power to be had at 50-100v than 100-150v. The only reason I run 116v is because my controller all ready uses 150v mosfets. (It could be more powerful with 100v FETs, but since it's got 150v FETs, I take advantage of them).

SplinterOz said:
nicobie said:
Doesn't LFP run a sine-wave controller on his beast of a bike?
I don't think so, it is a Sevcon. However he uses a Sin/Cos encoder rather than hall sensors.

My Sevcon gen 4 is a true sinus controller, and uses a Sine/Cosine encoder.

we all share your excitement luke, but there is a bit of the all to familiar 'so how about an update?' for the last month or 2.. :|

Looks serious to me.
Maybe a tad more complicated than expected. Murphy's law and finance, and sh*t happens and testing again you know. :mrgreen:
I bet we hear from them soon, and I want to have one to try.

Last I've heard from them was a few days ago. There's a 4-day holiday over there at the moment.

I'm expecting a beta unit to arrive in a few weeks, so any curious aussies in Melbourne are welcome to try it out.

liveforphysics said:

I realy think there is a reason why the big car guys are at much higher voltages. For ebike stuff I think the irfp4468 is AWESOME! But once you want 50kw or more..... Im not so sure.

Hey, I'm new here, been obsessively lurking for a couple months now (I'll post my build later on down the road).
Anyway, I wanted to see if we can get an update on this, as it contains the missing links to my build. At this point I am ready and willing to purchase the entire package (at the quoted prices)- Max-e controller, BMS, DC-DC converter, and possibly throttle. I just don't see a fully integrated system with as many features as this anywhere else in the small EV market, and it is exactly what I want.

So, I know there are a couple beta units floating around, any other updates? How far off is production at this point?

I really hope that things are going well for these guys. I want to try one of their controllers asap.

I hate to say it, but I needed to move forward on my project design so I just bought a different controller and other components. If this doesn't turn out to be vaporware anyway then they just lost a customer from lack of communication. :|

Getting new, ground breaking stuff to market is really tricky! I've definitely let down more than a few folks with my ultimate e-bike project. It's really hard to predict the obstacles that come up when you're doing something that no one else has ever done before. I'm just hoping that they didn't get eaten up by some big military contract or other corporation that's going to shelve the technology to prevent competition. There's no controller out there like this that would be suitable for an ultralight electric motorcycle.

ALLVLTS said:
I hate to say it, but I needed to move forward on my project design so I just bought a different controller and other components. If this doesn't turn out to be vaporware anyway then they just lost a customer from lack of communication. :|

Most project offerings done by hobby time on ES, rather than paid time, take at least triple+++ the predicted time to complete. Rarely has any offering been done in less than 4x more time than the project offering "predicted" that someone can actually buy or make. ;)

We are far too optimistic & hopeful. :lol:

Yeh look at colossus. I have 2.5 years into it but I have only ~ 40 hours into trying to make it run. I have been so dam busy this last two years not to mention learning how to build a contoller and understand inductance! Look at the BMS that took over 2 years to get completed! This forum is full of very smart people but when they are that smart some have ADD and some just plain bite off more then they can chew lol. Its all good!

Arlo1 said:
Yeh look at colossus. I have 2.5 years into it but I have only ~ 40 hours into trying to make it run. I have been so dam busy this last two years not to mention learning how to build a contoller and understand inductance! Look at the BMS that took over 2 years to get completed! This forum is full of very smart people but when they are that smart some have ADD and some just plain bite off more then they can chew lol. Its all good!

I was recently asked what it would take for me to finish my bike and two things came to mind.
I need time to focus on it.....and ONLY it, and I need a partner/helper to take some of the load off and help keep me focused and motivated.
When a persons brain is constantly coming up with new ideas and projects, it's really easy to get distracted.....then after a few setbacks.....burnt out!

mdd0127 said:
Arlo1 said:

I was recently asked what it would take for me to finish my bike and two things came to mind.
I need time to focus on it.....and ONLY it, and I need a partner/helper to take some of the load off and help keep me focused and motivated.
When a persons brain is constantly coming up with new ideas and projects, it's really easy to get distracted.....then after a few setbacks.....burnt out!
Yeah dude helper/friend who is interested... IM all alone up here. I have Gordo but he is busy traveling the world lol. I am trying my best to find a way to keep going a little on my stuff everyday! One thing is I put some of it on the kitchen table to put together so I can chat with the GF while IM working on it. Kinda helps. Also doesn't seem as hard to get motivated to get going on as going down stairs... Or to my shop 1.9km away.
I wonder if I'm lazy at times but I work 40 hours a week helping my boss run his business's while he is there and away with the nitro Harley. Then I work ~20 hr a week at my shop for my business then I still find 5-10 hr a week for this electric stuff so I can assure my self not lazy. Just borderline burnt out! But I have become good at juggling my time! :)

We need to start an ES apprentice program so all of us that are knee deep in cool stuff can get some help!

mdd0127 said:
We need to start an ES apprentice program so all of us that are knee deep in cool stuff can get some help!

You're too picky on where & when you can work. AmberWolf is tooo kool & nearby, but you don't want the heat. :oops:

Looks like Arlo1 is in a cool climate & can use the help too! :D

What are you waiting for Danny???

Amberwolf, Arlo and I are all really busy and we are the ones that need helpers. If we all got together none of us would get anything done except for having lots of great ideas and discussions! We all need someone to help us with the little stuff and keep us on track!

What am I waiting for?
I'm waiting for my head to quit hurting. I'm waiting for the check from selling my van to come in and some more of my stuff to sell so I can stock up on food and pick up a few more parts. I'm waiting for a good motor manufacturer to pop up.....(thud???). I'm waiting for a battery manufacturer with good products and quality control. I'm waiting for a true sine-wave controller and electronics set. :wink:

mdd0127 said:
Amberwolf, Arlo and I are all really busy and we are the ones that need helpers. If we all got together none of us would get anything done except for having lots of great ideas and discussions! We all need someone to help us with the little stuff and keep us on track!

What am I waiting for?
I'm waiting for my head to quit hurting. I'm waiting for the check from selling my van to come in and some more of my stuff to sell so I can stock up on food and pick up a few more parts. I'm waiting for a good motor manufacturer to pop up.....(thud???). I'm waiting for a battery manufacturer with good products and quality control. I'm waiting for a true sine-wave controller and electronics set. :wink:

i cant help with the first half, but there are plenty of good motors and batteries availible now, and maby you dont need sine wave? either way to my mind theres a lot we can do with what is currently avialible and theres ALLWAYS going to new stuff on the horizon thats remains out of reach, some forever, but ive found it best to go with what does work now, cos even if these guys came good, my bet is its another can of worms that takes a lot more time and effort for all to perfect.

Yeah I don't think Sign controllers are as important as people think they are looking at one phase and the whole sign but with a BLDC controller you can only conduct to a set of windings for a short period before switching to a new winding. SO when you look at the small portion compared to 0v it will look a lot flatter!

My main problem with what's available now is that everything that's available is hard to get, unreasonably expensive, poorly quality controlled, and sold by companies with terrible customer service and absolutely zero interest in e-bikes. The only thing that I'm proud to be using on my bike and feel good about buying in quantity is my CA-LRC!

A hub motor won't work for what I want to do so for now, I'm stuck with an Astro 3220/HV160 combo. The HV160 is cool but it isn't very well suited to e-bike use and the Astro is going to need some mods to survive in an enclosed setup, making it a $1k+ motor.

When I get this prototype done and everyone's after me to get it to market, they're going to bail when I tell them that the controllers are meant for little airplanes and won't be warrantied, the batteries are from China, from a company with terrible customer service and quality control, that can't keep them in stock, and the motors are horribly expensive with iffy quality control, are hard as hell to get, and also come from a company with zero interest in catering to the e-bike market. In a way, it will be cool because I'll be the only one with a bike like mine but from the business aspect of things, I'd be much smarter to delay the build until there are companies out there that are interested enough in being a part of the rEVolution to reliably provide quality products that are produced in a sustainable, fair trade manner, at reasonable prices, and that come with warranty support.

I really don't care about all that stuff anymore though. My next bike is for me and the people that I let ride it. :twisted:

If the controller and computer in this thread are all they're cracked up to be, work well, are reliable, and I can get them in quantity, the only remaining pieces of the puzzle are motors and batteries. Motors aren't that difficult to get made and my thoughts on batteries are that the people that buy my bikes should source their own, removing the liability from the company producing the bikes so I'd really love it if these controllers hit the market soon :wink:

if all those negatives (that you do tend to focus on, and we have i believe, covered before) do somehow get all sorted, then the big manufacturers would jump in, and a lot of us would lose what we are it this for -something very different from the norm of what is avialible that is massively rewarding and often a huge challenge to get rolling. :D

I'm think that the big manufacturers are too scared to do anything different. Even the new Audi bike didn't quite meet my expectations.

People are always complaining about the cost of things and most people aren't capable of building their own stuff so the only way that there will ever be more people on e-bikes and better ebike laws is if someone produces a very cool bike, in large quantities, and because of those quantities, is able to sell them at a good price. That will only be possible if there are companies out there that are willing to make good products available.

Maybe it's better for now that I'm one of only two guys in my county that has an electric bike capable of more than 15mph but I'd sure like to find some riding buddies someday.

Back