Thoughts on Tern GSD with Rohloff E14 electronic hub?

I feel a bit ridiculous asking this here, where we all tinker with our old bikes, and having built my own bikes from bits I spent months trying to save a couple of $$ on, held together by cable ties in way too many places, and info from this forum. Not that I would change that 😉.

A close friend who has disability has recently received some money and wants to buy a really good, long term ebike and has asked me what I think of the Tern GSD series. they are ooking at the top of the range R14 which features the Rohloff e14 electronic shifting system.

My first thought is this is insane as it costs literally twice what I have spent on bike parts in 15 years, but then again I'm not buying it, and I have to say it does look like a very user friendly bike...low step over, low centre of gravity, excellent components.

The cargo carrying component relates to wanting to do basic shopping, and carry a child on the back, in local parks etc.

What are people's thoughts, especially on the Rohloff gear system?

I am a Rohloff fan, but have never tried it on an ebike.
I think it should work well in this bike, as it is a Bosch 250 watt motor, so it shouldn't be too much for the Rohloff hub

Good to hear. Do you find the Rohloff shifts well even when stationary? This one is electronic but I imagine it's going to be very similar internally, probably using a small servo motor to move what would normally be cable actuated ( I doubt they would design an entirely new hub from the ground up)

Good to hear. Do you find the Rohloff shifts well even when stationary? This one is electronic but I imagine it's going to be very similar internally, probably using a small servo motor to move what would normally be cable actuated ( I doubt they would design an entirely new hub from the ground up)
Rohloff shifts just fine stationary, the only time it doesn't like to shift is under load (which should be avoided anyhow). I don't think the 250w motor should pose any risk to the gearbox.

The e14 is indeed a servo mounted to the older tandem hub.

edit I was about to write that my bodged together Yuba, 1500w bafang and rohloff probably ended up costing as much as a store bought bike but, Holy ^&%, the Tern GSD Rohloff is $14,000aud here. That is some serious $$$, the wife's electric 120km/h scooter is not much more than that

Rohloff Speedhub 500/14 is a nearly perfect companion for a statute compliant e-bike. I've had mine for over 20 years with perfect reliability and minimal maintenance. It shifts when stationary, it shifts under load. (The 7 » 8 shift shouldn't be made under load.)

If your friend doesn't need electronic shifting, it sure sounds like it would add points of failure and unnecessary expense to me. If there's a mechanical shifting version available, and your friend is capable of managing a pretty firm twist grip shifter, then that's likely to be more supportable and future proof.

Thanks for the replies both of you, apologies for the delay in responding...great to hear the Rohloff lives up to its reputation. Yes $14K AUD is insane I agree, my car is worth less than half that.

If your friend doesn't need electronic shifting, it sure sounds like it would add points of failure and unnecessary expense to me. If there's a mechanical shifting version available, and your friend is capable of managing a pretty firm twist grip shifter, then that's likely to be more supportable and future proof.

Chalo, unfortunately the only option for a manually operated IGH for this line up of bikes is an Enviolo SP, do you have any experience with these by chance?

Chalo, unfortunately the only option for a manually operated IGH for this line up of bikes is an Enviolo SP, do you have any experience with these by chance?
Not that model. I've worked with the various NuVinci branded models which are rather heavy, draggy, and excellent for use with mid drives. Always being fully "in gear" regardless what's going on with the shifter and cable is a real blessing when you're feeding the hub a lot of torque without the sensory feedback you get by pushing pedals. No other kind of internally geared hub has this virtue.

Even Rohloff, whose gear detents are built into the hub, and which snaps right into gear without position adjustment of the cable, can still be shifted in such a way as to dither between gears under load. It usually can't be made to crunch and skip like a Sturmey Archer or Shimano gearhub with a maladjusted shift cable, but it isn't positively engaged at all times like Enviolo/Nuvinci.

Last edited:
Thanks Chalo, great description, that makes sense. Appreciate your thoughts as always.

Can I ask, what do you reckon about these bikes overall in terms of design and components? It looks tiny being used to my Mundo but then again the 20 inch wheels with big tyres look pretty bulletproof too.

Last edited:
At $14,000 do you think you'll ride it once a week ,twice a week or once a month. He will need to charge the battery once a month. I mean an e-bike with a battery needs to be used. It does have a shelf life.

Back