Thread for new battery breakthrough PR releases

I have similar cells to the panasonic on my bike. I have 3kWh or so and my discharge rate rarely exceeds 1/3 C. This is the ideal way to use these cells. If you're someone who's looking for 100mi range or more, these cells are appropriate.

grindz145 said:
I have similar cells to the panasonic on my bike. I have 3kWh or so and my discharge rate rarely exceeds 1/3 C. This is the ideal way to use these cells. If you're someone who's looking for 100mi range or more, these cells are appropriate.

Yeah, that's the right use.
I'm surprised that anyone on here is using them that way. Kudos to you.
I bet that cost a pretty penny though O_O

Nope.... Not when you're a battery engineer and you have access to the recycling dock... :mrgreen:

The cells aren't really that expensive if you buy in bulk btw. Just about as cheap as cheap LiPo etc. It's the packaging and building that really kills the budget.

Lucky!

I didn't know they were cheap if bought in bulk - usually the single cells are very expensive in relation to the watt-hours available. Who sells these in large quantities to the public - anyone?

packaging and building do hurt the budget, unless you've got the right tools to assemble these kinds of packs quickly.

grindz145 said:
Nope.... Not when you're a battery engineer and you have access to the recycling dock... :mrgreen:

The cells aren't really that expensive if you buy in bulk btw. Just about as cheap as cheap LiPo etc. It's the packaging and building that really kills the budget.

grindz145 said:

If they are as cheap as hobbyking lipo when purchased in bulk, why don't you create a selling service here?

It would help the ebike community and an easy way for you to make money

regarding panasonic ncr18650b - yeah cwah that would be pretty good idea.. I think..
So..I have question - for a basic ebike 36V (10 cells in series) battery pack how many cells would be recommended if motor pulls 40A max
100 cells or 10x10 ?
and so I guess this would not be a good idea : 10 cell 3400mah booster pack

If nothing else, sulphur will make em smell nice when they burn. :mrgreen:

Interesting stuff! I'm impressed with the specific energy density, but the volumetric density of the pouch cell mentioned in that pdf file isn't that flash compared to say, today's NMC chemistries. I'd have a battery that stores the same amount of energy, takes up the same volume, but weighs half as much. Still cool nonetheless.

Weighs half as much is still very nice, especially with a very large EV pack, like a car. Hope they turn out to be relatively safe, compared to lico.

SLAC and Stanford scientists have set a world record for energy storage, using a clever “yolk-shell” design to store five times more energy in the sulfur cathode of a rechargeable lithium-ion battery than is possible with today’s commercial technology. The cathode also maintained a high level of performance after 1,000 charge/discharge cycles, paving the way for new generations of lighter, longer-lasting batteries for use in portable electronics and electric vehicles.

Egg-cellent World-record Battery Performance (Stanford)
Sulphur–TiO2 yolk–shell nanoarchitecture with internal void space for long-cycle lithium–sulphur batteries (Nature)

I hope it's true. Would like to get some of this stuff before I croak (get it? "croak"). :lol:

600,000 cycles, in a lab. I'd settle for 300,000 cycles when manufactured in a typical china factory though. :mrgreen:

That sort of performance sounds made for the really big problems, like storing wind and solar energy for use later and such. Get that cost per cycle way down.

Wow, that's such a long lifespan I can't even grok it. Hopefully the calendar lifespan will at least be 10 years, lifespan of a car for the first owner type of thing. Imagine though, if the calendar lifespan was 20 or 30 years. Buy a car pack, and rotate it through 4-5 EV's. That would be sweet!

Wheazel said:
So many of these breakthrough posts poping up left and right, wonder what timespan we talk about when accessible commercial batteries are superior to what we have today?

No kidding :lol:
Battery progress has been painful. Unfortunately, EV sales haven't driven cost reductions and improvements anywhere near as much as predicted. Having seen moore's law in the computer world play out, i must say that post-2008 has been a little anti-climatic.

Wake me when i can buy this stuff :)

Bah, standard turnigy lipos are pretty flexible, I have some that I were outboard when I wrecked the first race bike, they were banana shaped lengthwise pretty signifigantly. They actually increased in capacity slightly :D :D .

myzter said:
Scientists develop bendable battery[/url]

It was about in time! Fed up with the bendable batteries developed by accountants, miners and aerobics trainers...

Back