Tidal Force : "The Long Ranger"

Those are some useful stats icey.
Are they all actual measurements or extrapolated from a smaller number of readings you've taken ?
For the sake of completeness remind us what current limit you're running again ? (50 odd amps?) And what sort of terrain are we talking ?
All flat and fairly smooth ?

And what does the unassisted @180 pounds mean ? Someone else was riding your bike ?

The first set of values are for me personally. The 180lbs is if an average sized person was riding my bike.... Like everyone else on the forum.

The lower speed reading up to 25mph readings a pretty accurate They were taken from wh per mile measurements that I use on a local trail here. The trail is level with 1-2% grade change.

The higher values are from swbluto simulator. His simulator backs up my claims for the low speed readings also. They are on the mark.

All values are for level ground.

Running 40-50Aish with bursts up to 70-80A.

For a urban mixed terrain riding ..for my average range i would give it a range around 45 miles.

I do night time security now because Im planning to go back to school. There is one big property that I work and it takes about 45min to walk the property. 20 Minutes to drive and about 12 minutes on my bike. My car wastes about a gallon of gas idling and driving this property. My bike wastes maybe 15 cents for a full charge. I normally do about 25 miles per night on my bike. Not that the battery is dead. I normally do about 10-12AH out of my 20AH pack. Its 2.2 miles to circle the entire property. I think this a good way to finally get some real use instead of recreational fun out of it. Im having a blast.
[youtube]mNm0qOjpgSY[/youtube]

Another video of a late night property I work. Takes 1hr and 30min to walk. Less than 10min to ride through on my bike. Sorry its dim. The cycle lumenator floods the immediate area but doesnt throw very far.
[youtube]735UucV94g8[/youtube]

WTF?

Copyright Info: Tidal Force 9C 9x7 66v 45A A Midnight Romp In An Asphalt Playground

Your video, Tidal Force 9C 9x7 66v 45A A Midnight Romp In An Asphalt Playground , may include content that is owned or administered by these entities:
•Entity: PIAS, UMPG Publishing, EMI, and EMI Content Type: Sound Recording

As a result, your video is blocked in these locations:

Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, American Samoa, Andorra, Angola, Anguilla, Antarctica, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Aruba, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belgium, Belize, Benin, Bermuda, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Bouvet Island, Brazil, British Indian Ocean Territory, British Virgin Islands, Brunei, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Cape Verde, Cayman Islands, Central African Republic, Chad, Chile, China, Christmas Island, Cocos (Keeling) Islands, Colombia, Comoros, Congo, Congo - Democratic Republic of, Cook Islands, Costa Rica, Cote d'Ivoire, Croatia, Cuba, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Estonia, Ethiopia, Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas), Faroe Islands, Fiji, Finland, France, French Guiana, French Polynesia, French Southern Territories, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Gibraltar, Greece, Greenland, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guam, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Heard Island and McDonald Islands, Holy See (Vatican City State), Honduras, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macao, Macedonia, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Marshall Islands, Martinique, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mayotte, Mexico, Micronesia - Federated States of, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Montserrat, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nauru, Nepal, Netherlands, Netherlands Antilles, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Niue, Norfolk Island, North Korea, Northern Mariana Islands, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Pitcairn, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Qatar, Reunion, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Saint Helena, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Pierre and Miquelon, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Africa, South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands, South Korea, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Svalbard and Jan Mayen, Swaziland, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tokelau, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Turks and Caicos Islands, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, United States Minor Outlying Islands, United States Virgin Islands, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Venezuela, Vietnam, Wallis and Futuna, Western Sahara, Yemen, Zambia, Zimbabwe

Will do a gay audio swap.

OMFG these people are dumbasses. I did an audioswap with the same exact furking song I had on the video... WTF!

icecube57 said:
Will do a gay audio swap.

OMFG these people are dumbasses. I did an audioswap with the same exact furking song I had on the video... WTF!

Yeah, its pathetic. Blocking videos because they had a song in them. :roll: For what it is worth, I actually prefer the video when it has no music, so I can listen to the motor when it is under stress, accelerating, climbing etc.

Well well.. No real update in a while. I havent been doing anything grand worth mentioning. I put up two videos recently. The last one was put down for the audio. I put it back up with the Audio Swap feature and selected the same damn song I had originally in the video... Youtube is a joke. But anyways that video is really dark but i still enjoyed it. I dont know about yall. Im going to shoot another video Sunday. This will be at an earlier time around 8pm where there is more light instead of around 1am like the last one. Using my bike at work is working out well. My wheel is holding up but my spokes dont like me. Ive been real lazy about correcting the spoke tension. I just sat down today and tweaked all the spokes with a little more tension. I just took a bic pen top and plucked all the spokes and tensioned them to a higher tone but the same pitch for every spoke. Im putting down alot of power and getting alot of regen plus my weight. Its really torturing the spokes. It think i should be cool for a while after this tune up. But my bike feels rock solid no other complaints.

Well I got something i wanna do coming up. Either Im visiting some fellow ES member or Im going to one of my favorite relaxation spots of Savannah GA. So this trip is going to require me to reconfig my bike and charging system. Going from 66v back to 88v. The reason is yes my top speed. Its 39-40mph but it takes so long to get there. My top speed is more like 35mph with a long long journey to 40mph. I need to up my voltage to change my power band to where i can easily reach my 40-45mph. I mainly want to tour Savannah on bike and shoot some new vids. It doesnt have any streets over 30-35 mph but considering we are Americans here its more like 40-45. I would like the torque and speed off the line not to piss anyone off. At 88v my top speed should be in the low 50s which in real theory would easily top out aroun 40-45mph and winding out to the low 50s . I dont want to go that fast. This is also going to require me to reprogram my controller. Right now im actually sustaining and peaking 50-60A with peaks to 80-90. So roughly Im doing 3500-4kw with short peaks to 5kw and can barely keep it going under continuous duty at that wattage. At 88v this is translates to 6-8kw which is way to much for the 9C. Savannah is a flat city so hills arent going to be a problem so i dont need that much power on tap. Although retarded acceleration is my kryptonite. Im thinking of backing it down to 35-40A this will reduce the wattage and mimic my previous 66v setup. But since the power band has changed we have a problem. The amps dont taper down like it previously did at lower voltages. So what I plan to do is set my speed settings to the target speed of 45mph i want which is below the tops speed but the bike will have more than enough power to get there without feeling anemic. It will probably loose steam around 40mph as the amps taper down while reaching the top speed of 45mph which is perfect for what I need. According to the simulator at 88v on a 60A controller at 85% throttle at a top speed of 44mph it will be consuming 33A which is actually well under my goal of 4kw and it will have a decent amount of torque also. 30 more NM than I had at 66v. The thing is with power there may be no self control so I gotta put limits in place to save my self and my bike. Atleast I have the flexibility to switch around voltage. I may just leave it at 66v. iIt is a bike friendly city. SCAD is here which is an art and design school. Alot of college kids biking and traffic is mostly two lane streets or 1 way streets... Im excited.

Welll long time no speak. I just recently came from a run to Subway on my ebike at 11pm. I wasnt hot rodding. I was taking my poor sweet ass time on the side walk coasting and regen down the hill and locked in at 20mph going up the hills. I turned to the next road. Going slightly down hill. Got up to 40mph and wasnt even a WOT. It starts getting kinda twitch going that fast. I arrived there and realized that the Subway is closed and only open late nights on Friday and Saturday and closed 20 minutes before I got there. I turned around and left. On my way back its nothing but a long series of hills. Using my top speed going up this hill i was going 28mph. This simulator puts this long ass hill... about 1/4 a mile at 9% grade. Then It levels off and I make a turn and it goes down hill. When I was coming up the other side of the hill my controller went into protection twice and I wasnt even pushing it. It was either the bumpy side walk was causing me to twitch the throttle to cause high amperage spikes or the controller somehow knew it was hot and it shut down to prevent damage. I reset it twice and switch it over into SL mode long enough to kinda limp home and then I switched back to Normal mode when I got in my subdivision to play around. I get home the motor is hot to the touch and you cant leave your hand on it with a little aroma of windings in the air. The controller is hot to the touch. I noticed when making my final turns into my subdivision that the jack rabbit acceleration was gone. It was just a smooth ramp. To me my bike is more at home in the flat lands with the occasional hills. When asked to do long extended and repeated hill climbs it a recipe for disaster. My bike is fine but its a close call to another parts trail.

This really makes me wannt find a 5304 and go to 88v. I think ultimately the power handling and speed of the X5 motor is right down my alley. I dont even wanna consider the new HS and HT motors. The 9C is great but you cant dump current into like I need in my area and expect it to live up to it day in and day out. The 5303 was great it held its own didnt over heat too much. Even thought there is a slight drop in performance it had the stamina to finish the race. The 5304 is a great trade off and eventuall it will be what I move to near the end. I really would like to try that 5400 series out.
The first half of this video is the route that I took. I took the same route back. It shows the hills that I have to go through. This was also done with the 5303 at 44v so the performance should match up perfectly to the 9C at 66v.
[youtube]UioNTy7e7a4[/youtube]

What I thought was the controller going into a protection mode... it really was a 30A anderson saying uncle! It relaxed enough for me to finish my ride... Charging pack now.. will replace with a 45A contact in the morning

After a battery pack overhaul and exausting all of my connectors and melted housing I refurbished the connections in my battery pack. 60A continuous is a tall order for 30-45A andersons.

Did you upgrade to the 45A PPs or did you go with HK bullets?

Ambrose

For right now they are half and half. Im going to do another overhaul. Im about to place an order fo 75A powerpoles and crimper. My packs are arranged mainly into 3p sub packs that I series when discharging and parallel when charging. I dont have any plans to change this.

Currently im daisy chaining them to parallel them together and then discharging to 1 plug.

I figure If i get the 8 or 6 gauge contacts for the 75A power poles then I can crimp all 3 packs onto 1 housing. It will be two 75A plug set instead of 8 45A plugs sets to accomplish the same thing. Less volt drop less contacts. Less things to go wrong. I still have faith in Andersons but Im asking way to much from the 45A. It was fine as long as the load wasnt continuous. Maybe a good 30 second burst here or there. But on my ride I was asking full 55-60A current from those connectors and contacts for over 10-15 minutes. Nearly all housing on the series plug were warped. But all the housings and contacts on the parallel plugs were fine. On the sub pack level since I have 3 packs each set of contacts were only under a 20A load. But when you get to the series plug each pack is putting out 60A DC current. Which is above the contact rating and when they are grouped together in one big plug they generate heat.
Thats when I had the contact fatigue because the housing got soft.

Im not sure what (3) 10Gauge or (3) 12G wires equal to though. Either way it will end up 8Gauge at the controller.

Attachments

• Current.jpg
    Current.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 2,147
Going on a field trip tommorrow morning to Columbus GA. It has a 25ish mile long trail along the river front that Im going to check out and possibly ride the entire length for about a 50 mile round trip. I figure Id leave around 5a tommorrow and get there around 7a. The bike ride should take 2-3 hours and be back home around 2-3pm. My bike checks ok. Everything should be in working order.

http://www.columbusga.org/parks/park_sites/images/map_riverwalk3000.jpg

[youtube]aIXjV5t8mjo[/youtube]

Got back from my trip edited my video... Here goes nothing... hope you like it.

[youtube]CSIQJ9emtyk[/youtube]

Hey, I didn't know you dig Savannah. I love Savannah. Maybe when I get my next project going we can ride there.

Once I get the Pure built up (after finding funding) I'll be into riding a bunch. That trike is perfect for where it now permanently resides (the flat and smooth hallways of school), but I don't even have the slightest desire to ride it up and down these steep hills to work and back. The coaster brake squeals, and the trike just isn't stable on the paths because they are often tilted side to side.

Tomorrow I start my blitz to dig up funding from local and other entities. Call me cheap or irresponsible, but if I can get a company to put into the project, I'll shout their names to everyone. Heck, I've given Jason at EbikeKit.com a ton of publicity without any payment. He puts together a great package and I don't mind telling others.

When are you going to Savannah again? I have a friend living there who is renting a house from Paula Dean. He works for Sun Trust.

About your videos: Have you considered mounting the camera to your chest? The reason I ask is that you might get more stability that way instead of helmet or handlebars.

I have the idea for a mount that will get rid of the weaving effect almost 90% i just been lazy about doing. Its not even hard to do.. i just have to make or find an L bracket the right size and permenantly fix it to the frame of the bike. The FOV of the camera is jacked up also making it a bad choice for a chest cam. It will be just as unstable on my body.

Didnt need to charge. I went out with 66v 20AH. If I was really beating down the streets I could have been doing 1AH a mile =P but I was averaging almost 3 miles per AH with my speed switch set at 20-22mph being my guide. Perfect to pedal along with. Going out was hilly on the way back it was all a gentle down hill for the most part so I didnt use alot of AH on the way back but once i realized I had plenty of AH back i cranked it up a bit on the way back to the car and still stayed under 80%DOD. I averaged 18mph with a top speed of 40mph. 35 mile ride 28wh per mile 1061wh for the entire ride.. The trail was a bit technical especially with 20lbs of lipo sitting high on a rear rack. Tight and alot of curves in some places. Regen cam ae in handy alot. Wheel held up strong not a squeek or peep.There was alot of debris like leaves gravels and sticks that lowered my confidence. I still havent got use to the Big Apples in high speed application. Especially after the wipeout I had last year. I didnt have my helmet today. It 95+ with a heat index over 100.

MikeFairbanks said:
Hey, I didn't know you dig Savannah. I love Savannah. Maybe when I get my next project going we can ride there.
When are you going to Savannah again? I have a friend living there who is renting a house from Paula Dean. He works for Sun Trust.

I can go anytime. Just pay ur share of the gas. I can get down there on a tank and have gas to ride around for a day. My toaster gets pretty good gas on the highway. I take alot of day trips. Youd be surprised what you can do in a day if you push yourself. 3.5 to 4 hrs down 10 hours to goof off and play around and the ride back. Leave at 4 get there at 8 stay until 8-10 be back between 12-2. =o done it before and Ill do it again.

Seriously, I'm down for that (gotta get my build going).

I've done the Savannah day trip a good twenty times or so for surfing. Always had to plan around the high tide and low pressure systems in the Atlantic (and occasionally a hurricane in the right spot, bringing waves but not wind if the hurricane is close but not too close).

Anyway, I love Savannah. Amazing town. Almost moved there, and might again when the teaching jobs show up again. Right now the job market is DOA, so I'm sticking with this one for a loooong time.

Ideally I'd love to live on Tybee Island and drive into Savannah for work, but it's so expensive. Great place, though (from my point of view).

Hey, Cube: what about St. Simon's Island? It's only five hours and the entire island (and Jeckyll next door) has bike paths going everywhere, just like Peachtree City (but without the golf carts).

Have you ever been to either island?

Then, of course, there's Cumberland Island. You throw your bike on the ferry at St. Mary's (a great town in itself) and ride around Cumberland all day).

Finally, there's Sapelo Island, with descendants of slaves who still carry on the African/Caribbean culture they've had for hundreds of years. Great people who have a little town called Hog Hammock. I don't know about bike riding opportunities on that island, but it would probably be a great place to ride.

I would love to go to St.Stimon/Jekyll Ive seen their paths and im quite jealous. Even the drive to Savannah to St. Simon is a pain in the ass. You find yourself in an are we there yet moment. Paths are great for 20mph but sometimes you gotta open her up a little bit. The good thing about those two islands is the speed limit is almost always under 45 and people do drive cars but u see bikes and scoots and they get good respect down there. Since the city is built around these 100 year old trees you have root problems with the sidewalks which make street riding more favorable in Savannah. Jekyll is pretty smooth from what I remember. St. Simons is pretty shady. I would like to ride around Tybee. Its a small island. Probably take 2 hrs to see the whole island It has a 25mph street speed limit. I always dreamed about getting enough batts to ride for Sav to Tybee on bike. I could at 20 mph easy but id like to do it at 35-40mph. Good thing also about those coast cities is they are all level. So no power is wasted going up hill. It extends your range drastically.

Back