Torque arm alternative?

mark5

100 kW
Paragon Machine Works DR2020 Steel Rear Flanged Horizontal Dropout, One Speed
This is a flanged, rear-entry track style dropout made from 1018 steel. It has a flange height of 1.040" and a diameter of 1.312". The axle slot is 1.080" long and the maximum axle travel is approximately 0.70". The dropout face is 0.276" thick.

Item sold by pair.
DR2020.jpg

Interesting. I guess you gotta weld them on?
otherDoc

It's not that thick, it's open-ended, and it's made from low strength steel. So, no, it's probably not a good idea. Without the open-ended slot, it would likely be OK. Better with a longer lever arm to whatever fixing bolt you are using.

If you feel like taking a chance with an open ended torque arm, why not just use a wrench? At least it would be stronger.

Dr. Bass's torque arms are half again as thick, much larger, and made from steel that's at least twice as strong. They're the exception that proves the rule that torque arms shouldn't have open slots.

I have wasted fork tips made from 1/4" thick 4130 chromoly before, and that was on a 750W, 36V e-bike. I don't have much faith in your solution, but perhaps you'll get lucky.

P.S. -
If you have a caliper available, go ahead and measure the width of the slot opening now, so you can check it from time to time for growth.

The 64 dollar question is good enough for what? I have run some 1000w setups using just a little bit of beefing up on standard cheapie derailleur hangers. Steel bike, so just a spot of welding to attach it better, and lengthen it to receive the nut better, and no need for any more.

If you want to run 2000w and regen on an aluminum bike, you need more than those for TA. With some very basic tools, easy to make your own custom rear torque arm.

Bolt on, through axle fit, 1/4" thick steel each side... That is the real alternative, and cost nothing but a piece of scrap metal.

Some say it is long to make them neat. Even when you are slow, it is never as long as waiting for some crap "fit-all" in the mail. Most of my torque plates have been made the same day I laced the motor.

I used these as cheap TEMPORARY clamping torque arms on my mxus 3000w hub on my fat bike. Wanted to ride while I waited for proper ones to arrive.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440348765.762191.jpg

After heat treating and putting some shrink wrap on. These are the ends of some cheap turnbuckles that I had laying around.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440348961.454033.jpg

Worked great for a couple hundred k with some good wheelies and hard regen in there.

And waste not want not, the centres work as cheap hold downs in the back of the truck!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440349083.852278.jpg

Back