Traditional Sense Line Current limiting?

magudaman

10 kW
I have a power supply that I am putting together that I want to limit current on but I don't think Fetcher's board will work. Its totally possible I am just confused and Fetchers board will work great! My two sense lines are setup up take the full voltage of my output lines and the internals of the unit are filled with epoxy. So now I am trying to figure out a way to do currently limiting by basically pulling down the high voltage sense line after it goes through something like a 5k resistor.

So my first idea would be a sort of current sink with a reference voltage that pertains to my maximum current and shunt to sense voltage. The P FET would not sink the sense voltage until the current reached my set point and then would pull down the sense voltage using the linear region of the fet. This of course would be all very low power.

The other idea is my trusty fall back to my picaxe micro controller and instrumentation op amp, and setting the current in code pulling the sense line with a fet driven from the picaxe though PWM and a low pass filter.

Arg, heck I don't know what I am doing, any ideas?

Back