TSDZ2 new build loses communication with motor after a few minutes

Big Dummy

1 µW
So I just converted my long tail cargo bike with the TSDZ2b, flashed the chip with firmware for an 860c display. I installed the temperature sensor, also.

When I powered it up, the display and motor had no trouble communicating, and I was able to set up the configuration per the recommendations on the wiki.

When I powered it up and tried to ride, however, I get assistance for a couple minutes, but then the assistance cuts out and the numbers displayed are frozen. I can cycle through screens on the 860c, and I can adjust the assist level, but there is clearly nothing happening with the motor. If I power down the display and turn it back on, it waits to communicate with the motor and eventually gives me an error about brakes or comm. I’ve disconnected the brake sensors, and still no luck, so it’s communication with the motor. If I disconnect the battery, wait a while, and then power everything back up, it will frequently work properly for a couple minutes before the same thing happens.

I bought the display from Electrify Bike pre-flashed. In texting with the support, they told me they had not heard of this issue and sent me a new controller to try. The same thing happens with this controller. I reflashed the chip in the motor to be sure there was no problem with that.
Frustrated, I connected the VLCD5 that cam with my motor and reflashed the TSDZ2 with firmware to use the VLCD5, using the Java configurator method described on GitHub. The controller started up with no problem, and the motor provided assist appropriately for a few minutes, then obviously lost assist. The display was still working, as it displayed my speed, but there was no assistance from the motor. If I restart the VLCD5, it turns on but displays only 1 battery bar and does not have any assistance from the motor. After shutting everything down and waiting, sometimes it will restart with assistance from the motor for a few minutes before the same issue happens.

I’m debating reflashing the original firmware to troubleshoot further, but I’m concerned that the temperature sensor will act as a throttle, as the stock firmware has no way to disable or differentiate the throttle.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Big Dummy said:

You have the same problem with 2 controllers, 2 displays and 2 OSF, but no feedback of stock FW before flashing.
Motor depends on the working of the sensors.
Unlike stock FW you can diganose the sensors with OSF

Torque
With Vlcd5 you can see with hidden menu (TE and TE1) the torquevalues without and with load of your weight.
Also you can use the button sequence on level 1 (2+2+2 pushes lightbutton, short pause again 2 pushes)
Pas
imho not the cause because you have changed the controller with Pas sensor already
Speed
Is very sensitive for the right distance of about 10mm, too close give mostly good speed reading, but can corrupt the signal for the controller. With latest OSF versions this should be improved, but you never be sure if there is a probem.
Temperature
That sensor acts like a reverse throttle and will lower the rpm in first place and doesn't cut power immediately.
Also it depend of the values you have entered in the settings, too low will give early power down.
You can read the temperature values with OSF if you have enabled this data with javaconfigurator
There are for sale different LM35 types and a lot of rubbish, which give strange values, so I hope you have tested the sensor before mounting, with a small battery and multimeter
The easiest way to ignore temperature sensor is to cut the wires.

Big Dummy said:
So I just converted my long tail cargo bike with the TSDZ2b, flashed the chip with firmware for an 860c display. I installed the temperature sensor, also.

When I powered it up, the display and motor had no trouble communicating, and I was able to set up the configuration per the recommendations on the wiki.

When I powered it up and tried to ride, however, I get assistance for a couple minutes, but then the assistance cuts out and the numbers displayed are frozen. I can cycle through screens on the 860c, and I can adjust the assist level, but there is clearly nothing happening with the motor. If I power down the display and turn it back on, it waits to communicate with the motor and eventually gives me an error about brakes or comm. I’ve disconnected the brake sensors, and still no luck, so it’s communication with the motor. If I disconnect the battery, wait a while, and then power everything back up, it will frequently work properly for a couple minutes before the same thing happens.

I bought the display from Electrify Bike pre-flashed. In texting with the support, they told me they had not heard of this issue and sent me a new controller to try. The same thing happens with this controller. I reflashed the chip in the motor to be sure there was no problem with that.
Frustrated, I connected the VLCD5 that cam with my motor and reflashed the TSDZ2 with firmware to use the VLCD5, using the Java configurator method described on GitHub. The controller started up with no problem, and the motor provided assist appropriately for a few minutes, then obviously lost assist. The display was still working, as it displayed my speed, but there was no assistance from the motor. If I restart the VLCD5, it turns on but displays only 1 battery bar and does not have any assistance from the motor. After shutting everything down and waiting, sometimes it will restart with assistance from the motor for a few minutes before the same issue happens.

I’m debating reflashing the original firmware to troubleshoot further, but I’m concerned that the temperature sensor will act as a throttle, as the stock firmware has no way to disable or differentiate the throttle.

which osf firmware/version have you flashed the motor controller with?

I solved the problem in a most unexpected way. When I installed my temperature sensor (which is a Texas Instruments device bought from Digikey), I soldered the orange wire coming off the board to the temp sensor as per instructions, but I just capped off the other end of the orange wire that I clipped (the end going to the 8-pin connector). I thought that since I would never connect the throttle and it was disconnected at the motor side, it wouldn’t matter.

Guess it does matter. Out of desperation, I reopened the motor and resoldered the orange wire so that the orange wire from the circuit board, the temp sensor, and the orange wire to the 8-pin cable are all spliced together. Then I put everything back together and have had no issues since.

Super weird. I didn’t think that would make a difference, but figured I would try everything before cutting out the temperature sensor.

For what it’s worth, I was running the most recent emmabrusa OSF for 860c. And I set the temp sensor to start reducing power at 75c and completely cut out at 85c. I was seeing temps of 18-20c - nowhere near my limit - when I was having issues with the assist cutting out.

Back