TSDZ2 total loss of power - cannot figure it out

GrampaPete

10 mW
Motor shuts down randomly. If I turn the battery off, then on again and power up the display everything is fine for awhile then the shutdown repeats. Trip A resets each time there is a shutdown. What surprises me is that with an immediate off/on on the battery things start up fine. Could this be a controller issue?

Peter

Looks more likely with the battery or connectors. I would suggest check for a loose connection or battery over-discharge protection first. If your battery is getting old, its voltage drops more than usual upon a high discharge current, which triggers the protection either in the battery or in the controller.

All my settings for OSF look good, cannot locate a break in the line from battery to motor. Sometimes 860C goes dark and motor dies. Turn battery off then on and works for a couple miles. Then goes dark. Seems random.

2 questions:

1. Is there a possibility that it could be a controller issue?

2. Any value in reflashing?

Measured voltage - 52.7 on 48V battery. It had just been charged and used about 50wh - 5 miles or so. That was the second battery I tried and the same thing happened with both batteries so I suspect something else. I have examined all the cables for damage and cannot see anything that looks suspicious there.

Complete power loss, where an independent voltmeter (not the one built into the display or the battery) reads no or insufficient voltage at the battery output, is a battery problem.

Usually it is either a cell problem (one that drops below LVC under load) or an overcurrent problem (entire pack drops in voltage too much or BMS is set / designed for a lower current than is being drawn from it), or a temperature problem (overheating sensed by BMS so it shuts off).

If the voltage (measured by an independent voltmeter) at the battery output during the ride is not changing from the moment before the shutoff to the moment after the shutoff, it might be a connection problem between battery and controller...

..but that doesn't usually resolve by power cycling the battery, while a battery shutdown is often temporarily resolved by doing so.

After disconnecting/reconnecting ALL the wires have not had a problem on a 15mile ride, so - so good.

Back