Tucson Death Race 2011 roll call. Results on page 1

etard said:
This guy is also awesome: ( sorry couldn't rotate it, just a screenshot from my phone)

photo-151.png

^^Thats our DoGMaN!

up the right way-->

photo-151.jpg

KiM

Good to see amberwolf and dogman in an upright riding position, heres a short take of AW exiting the race the hard way, (get well soon mate) courtesy of dave31 @ motorbicycling.com

[youtube]kDpZUJn-Ixs[/youtube]

I didn't notice this before, but is that a dark line on the track itself that my rear tire crosses just as it slides out from under me? Because it looks like the slick asphalt repair lines I see on regular roads, as does the lateral one just past where I wiped out.

Not that I probably wouldn't have slid out without it, as I was already having a lot of trouble controlling the bike just then, but seeing that I think it didn't help me any if that's what it is. :lol:

Oh, I was definitely in trouble before that, because everytime I hit the brakes the wobbly steering shakes got worse, but subsided if I sped up, so I was trying to lean as hard as I dared and get around the corner anyway.

Obviously that was the perfect solution. :roll:

amberwolf said:
I didn't notice this before, but is that a dark line on the track itself that my rear tire crosses just as it slides out from under me? Because it looks like the slick asphalt repair lines I see on regular roads, as does the lateral one just past where I wiped out.

Not that I probably wouldn't have slid out without it, as I was already having a lot of trouble controlling the bike just then, but seeing that I think it didn't help me any if that's what it is. :lol:

Yea the surface repair defiantely contributed to your accident AW, if you look at the video a frame at a time you can see that your front wheel slips as you cross the repair line then you put your foot out to try and stabalise as your rear wheel crosses the line and that slips too dumping you on the asphalt. Maybe you could have saved it but you were already on the ragged edge before the line lol :) Unfortunately i think it was the fact that you put your foot out to try and save it that give you the damage you got but its just a reflex reaction :( Hope your managing ok :)

Those crack seals are hot melt rubber, and are definitely greasy and slick. As soon as I saw them this time out, I thought, those will be slick till the summer heat bakes out the oil in em.

But the real problem was overleaning the corner, as you can see in the screenshot. That guy pinching you in didn't help any either. Both our crashes were a bit similar, crowded in and going too fast, we both tried to fix it with more lean. Well, it coulda worked. :roll: To my eye, you were already beginning to slip over just before the stripe, but no catching it once on that stripe for sure.

But we might have both gotten away with it, without nice slick spots sprinkled around the track. Still it's a great track, you want to see slick, try the oily parking lot I laid it down in practicing the week before the race.

Where I was at I couldn't really see it but I think he said that he did pretty good.

When Thud had both motors going he was unbeatable. Absolutely no doubt in my mind that he would have won if everything had held together. He might even have lapped everybody before the race was over. He just needs better controllers that can run higher volts so he won't have to use so many amps to make the watts he needs. I have a feeling that he will be doing something different next time.

Dogman is being way too hard on himself, saying that the bike was too much for him. I think that his battery pack was too much for his bike. The bike just couldn't handle the speed. Maybe cooking that front 9c was a blessing in disguise. If he would have had a rear motor and 2.5 hookworms with front disc brakes, who knows what would have happened. He might not have been able to beat Thud, but I'll bet that he would have given Paul a run for the money.

Paul just ran a perfect race on a beautiful but under powered bike. Next year I'll bet it won't be under powered. :wink:

I'm sure glad I went. Had a great time and met some remarkable people.

72 hours with Luke was, shall I say, interesting. :mrgreen: Great people! Lots of fun to be around.

Nick

PaulD said:
StudEbiker said:
How about southern Oregon. Then we get the CA guys and the OR/WA guys meeting in the middle. :D

http://www.sokarters.org/facts.asp

That's my backyard too, although I've never been on the track. Maybe I'll go scout it out sometime...
I think I've seen someone on a tidalforce in Ashland, I figure that's probably you StudEbiker? it's probably the only one in town.

There are a few in town actually. Another guy in town is selling them as complete bikes but he put some graphics over the TF logo that says "Wind Runner." Mine is the only one with the 36v Headway pack on it though. If you ever see me around please introduce yourself. :) Fantastic job at the Death Race!!

Nah. The bike was too much for me. I've ridden lots and lots of different motorcycles and know when it feels that way. How comfy would you be on a bike with rim brakes and 50 mph top speed?

I was missing my braking points right and left because they were coming so freaking soon :shock: . Then I'd crank on shitty rim brakes till the rear one locked up. :shock: By the time I got that straighened out, I'd be way off the fast line poking through the corner much much slower than I did last fall on a bike that had a top speed of 45 mph. The best thing of all was I has so much accelleration there, that I could do the whole thing over again on the very next corner, no matter how short the straight was. By the first heat I knew I was in deep doo doo, and it destroyed my balls. I was nearly squeaking when I talked. Luke was in similar situation on the 2nd worst handling bike in death race history. He did some fantastic riding to stay on the thing. I took one lap on it and wanted off that bike ASAP.

The track was slicker than in the afternoon races we had done before. Dave commented on it. He laid it down too in practice in the same corner I did. So even on the same bike as before, the track was harder to ride than before.

But my core problem was a bike faster than my brakes could handle. Previously only a tiny tap of the brakes was needed, while this time I was laying on em for all I could grab. That extra speed between the corners was no good for a bike with no good brakes. By the main event, the wheels were bent, and any kind of braking was locking up the wheel.

Definitely eyballing a frame with disk mounts for the next time, and no more front hub. Speed will just have to be dialed back to about 22s lipo to make a hubbie last. Enough to place in the top ten, but no podium.

Ypedal said:
So luke.. you blew it up before the finish.. *hmpf.. :lol:

but how did you do on the holeshot ?

Holeshot was pretty epic. Advanced like 8 positions in the first 5 seconds of the race. :)

My leg feels better but looks worse (but better than yesterday). Close yer eyes if you don't like bruises:

View attachment 3

DSC04312.JPG

DSC04314.JPG

DSC04316.JPG

Haven't heard from DES or AHCCCS about my application yet, or the ER about bililng or followup.

In my digging for my crutches on Monday, I found some more parts to use to build the next DR bike from, though. :)

All you racers, check out the (event) section of the forum for the upcomming race in Willow Springs SoCal. The event organizer wants some advice on how to acccommodate. Please try to go to this event as hopefully it will help our grass roots movement with electrics. Venture into the new frontier of e-bike racing. Go to kickback, or go to kickbutt, but especially go to have fun!

If I could ride fast and safely with the leg this way, and get the time off work, I'd love to go. :) Not happening for a while, though. :(

Evoforce said:
All you racers, check out the (event) section of the forum for the upcomming race in Willow Springs SoCal. The event organizer wants some advice on how to acccommodate. Please try to go to this event as hopefully it will help our grass roots movement with electrics. Venture into the new frontier of e-bike racing. Go to kickback, or go to kickbutt, but especially go to have fun!
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=27144

dogman said:
Luke was in similar situation on the 2nd worst handling bike in death race history. He did some fantastic riding to stay on the thing. I took one lap on it and wanted off that bike ASAP.

HAHA yes when i saw it strapped on the dyno i was a lil shocked and concerned at the head angle
Luke extended the rear running the extention in line with the seat stays instead of doing
what would of been correct, extending the frame along the lines of the chain stays hence not altering the head
angle of the bike. (same as the ThudSTeR did...)

I am pleased to hear your looking for a frame with disk brake mounts DoGMaN ;) and also
that your over the front hub, IIRC Luke emailed me race day that you crashed bent the rim and
are over front hub motors" Front frocks have no place on a race track period IMO. How is one
meant to get good front end feel with a whopping frock rotating and slipping the tire?!?!
You need to know what the front is doing to corner fast, having the front wheel spin up
goes against everything i have learned/been told... So a drilled out 9C on 72 volts
next year DoGMaN? or are you growing big ones :p and going non-frock now you have seen the POWeR?!
1500watt cyclone on 60volts would be hard to beat and pretty damn reliable!

Good to hear your healing up there AW keep the weight off it and keeps it elevated ;)
Hows the wheelchair handling going getting used to it or are we on crutches now?

KiM

Wheelchair at home, partly so the dogs don't knock the cane or crutches out from under me. :lol: W/C is nice since I *can* get out of it but would suck if I couldn't.

Crutches at work for now cuz I haven't built the w/c towbar yet (copying yours ;)). But crutches suck.

Trying to find all the bits I gathered before to make stabilizers that I never finsihed designing, so I can put them on CrazyBIke2 for now (at least on the right side).

amberwolf said:
W/C is nice since I *can* get out of it but would suck if I couldn't.

They are very good at shopping malls i have found :lol: :p
people 'part' as i come charging towards them haha
can get the shopping done very quickly, but yes
if you can't get out of them it's abit of a downer LoL

KiM

dogman said:
Nah. The bike was too much for me. I've ridden lots and lots of different motorcycles and know when it feels that way. How comfy would you be on a bike with rim brakes and 50 mph top speed?

See, you've answered your own problem.... :D

More tire
more brake

less bonco needed. Isn't it all about winning?

Well.. amberwolf .. i may not have been racing last weekend but i sure managed to hurt myself regardless ! hehe..

Took the BMX ( 66v ) out to bring a 50 lbs garbage bag up to the dumpster, holding the bag with one hand, handlebars with the other, reached the end of my driveway and hit the cement devider, handlebars tweaked, throttle to max, over compensated the bars and in a fraction of a section found myself stumbling to stay upright and slipped, hit my leg on the sharp edge of my PVC frame battery box.. dragged all my body weight over a 6" patch of skin.. sob it hurt.. my leg reminds me of it every time i stand up lol... what a rush..

but hey.. i kept it up right ! :eek:

Bleeding thru my pants, i still picked up the bag and got the job done damit....

Attachments

• ouch.JPG
    ouch.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 2,231
Damn! :shock:

The season is begining harder than i thought!!

Dot try to imitate too much Amberwolf! :lol:

Nothing broke?

I'm sure we all prefer you in one piece!!

On my side it's more PFK spark, plasma balls, explosions in my garage that happen to me.. It seem i touch wood about my ebike ride luck!

Doc

Yeah better tires and brakes. But if the motor will still smoke itself in 11 laps of a 12 lap race, I still have to dial down the watts a bit, or go RC. Still plenty of fun to be had next time, with I bike I'll have the skill to ride. No catching the front runners now for me. Alex, Dave, and especialy Paul are wicked fast.

dogman said:
Yeah better tires and brakes. But if the motor will still smoke itself in 11 laps of a 12 lap race, I still have to dial down the watts a bit, or go RC. Still plenty of fun to be had next time, with I bike I'll have the skill to ride. No catching the front runners now for me. Alex, Dave, and especialy Paul are wicked fast.
Or better cooling....
Let me put it this way if you run a ICE car in a race with no cooling system how long would it last?

Back