Turnigy meter mount

mxer

1 kW
I have my Turnigy watt meter on the cross bar as i want to keep the wires short (Ish) But it looks unballanced and does'nt suit the bike, It is also fixed with cable ties :roll: Has anyone found a suitable mount that looks like it should be there, instaed of somthing that looks like i havn't had the time to sort out....

I haven't done it yet, but keep meaning to:

A simple metal plate bent to whatever shape you need to fit the bars, or with slots cut in it for clamps to the bars, will work. It only needs to be large enough to fit the back of teh TWM, just the flat area.

Remove the orignal 4 screws holding the TWM together.

Get a drill bit that will make a hole just smaller than those screws (the size of the core, minus the threads).

Drill 4 small holes in the plate, one in each corner, that line up with the TWM screwholes.

Use long enough new screws that they'll still seat down into the TWM box just like the old ones did, but also clamp the plate to the back of the TWM.

Alternately, if you don't need anything super nice, you can use any of the thin/narrow but long stainless steel hose clamps (NOT the ones from harbor freight and the like...they're not even tin-quality much less SS :roll:), and clamp the meter to a straight section of your bars by clamping just the ends to either side of the display.

A third method similar to both is two plates, both longer than the TWM, with two holes each end of each plate to either side of the TWM itself. Front plate gets a hole in it for the TWM's display to be seen thru, and rear plate gets slots for clamps, or holes for bolts or whatever mounting method you choose for the bars. Nut and bolt to secure the halves together, clamping the TWM between them.

A fancier version of this you'd extend and curve the plates so they wrap around the curved parts of the TWM, too, with tabs on either end that you bolt together. Depending on your metal bending skills you might even make interlocking tabs for one end and just use a bolt on the other.

Or use a single plate that is curved to match the TWM contours and just has a bolt to clamp together at two corners to secure the TWM inside after you slide it in.

Again, the clamping methods to get that onto the bars or wherever are simple enough.

A very simple no-bending method is a piece of plastic pipe just a bit larger inside diameter than the TWM, so you can slide it inside. A window for the display cut in the face of the pipe, and then either heat the ends and squish them in or glue ends onto the pipe, or thread it and use threaded ends screwed onto them, with a hole(s) for the wires somewhere.

In all cases you could use any kind of clamp that can either be bolted to the TWM's bracket, or passed thru a slot in it. Various kinds of plumbing clamps and electrical conduit clamps are available in hardware stores, or hose clamps, etc.

All of the above could be painted to match or complement the colors of the bike.

I've been fitting a Turnigy watt meter to my bike over the last few weeks. I machined up an alloy cradle for it that supports the unit and it has another corresponding half that bolts on from the top to encase the meter. I'll get a photo or two of it in the next few days.

-Stu

Some great options there amberwolf thanks 8) I'm off work tommorrow, so a trip to the hardware store for me :D I'll post some pic's when i'm done..

Would be great to see your photo's gm6046, get em posted :D .....

no
IMG_2012-01-24%2015.15.19.426.jpeg

Mounted on controller with velcro tabs for easy removal.hkmount.JPG

This one's not a Turnigy, but you can do the same. It's about the cheapest wattmeter you can get - works perfectly. Read the threads on how to remove the shunt and mount it remotely (search "remote shunt"). Then you can mount it on the handlebars or stem with an aluminium bracket made out of 1mm sheet.
SANY0085.jpg

Do you mean these?

If I knocked some up as 3D print, what would you be expected to pay? Seriously now. If it's viable I will do it.

This one really looks diffrent. But it is indeed cheap. About 30 bucks is ok. I' interested too.

Thanks d8veh for this innovative and easy to make mount!!

I don't know if already said, but one can make a remote shunt for this. This way the display can be mounted anywhere.

If you have a pic of your wattmeter feel free to throw it on here and I'll track one down to 3d model a clamp for.

d8veh said:
This one's not a Turnigy, but you can do the same. It's about the cheapest wattmeter you can get - works perfectly. Read the threads on how to remove the shunt and mount it remotely (search "remote shunt"). Then you can mount it on the handlebars or stem with an aluminium bracket made out of 1mm sheet.
SANY0085.jpg

d8veh, How cool is that !!....Like that alot.....

Tbh i'm not a great fan of the Turnigy design, Having the wires hanging out of the side looks a *******rd and it's not exactly sleek for mounting, but then again i can't see the designers talking about mounting them to push bike's in the board meetings :lol: ..

I'm going to mock something up temporarily and proberly remove it once a few cycles have been made to gain some figures....

Keep the photo's comming 8)

d8veh, that is friggin' awesome :)

Rockin' mine as such on the MAC bike, using a pipe clamp from a hardware store which was wrapped in shrunkwrap to protect the frame, then zip-tied:

wattmetermount.jpg

wattmetermount_2.jpg

You could always open the unit up and route the wires downwards for a more clean look.

I did the same thing to my Cycle Analyst on my other bike, but the best is the Speedict on my folder, which uses a Samsung galaxy S2 for display mounted on a modified iPhone mount.
SANY0164-1.jpg

SANY0174.jpg

Back