VW Buggy Under the Knife, Need Advice

Bike Xing

1 W
I bought this buggy a few years ago with the intent to convert it to electric. Earlier this year I finally pulled the perfectly good gas engine and sold it. I've been looking for a good brushless motor system to put in. I can't find many examples of people making cars of this size with brushless motors and ALL of the ones I've found use the HPEV motors.
Has anyone tried the Motenergy motors like those sold in the kits at Electric Motorsport (PMAC-G8455)? How about other options? I'd like performance on par with the well built 1600 I pulled out.
I'd really like to go with a brushless motor so I can use regen to assist on braking.
View attachment 3
20130324_190551.jpg
I whipped up a spreadsheet to estimate steady state power requirements for flat roads and hill climbs.
Cruising.JPG
Hill Climb.JPG
On flat roads I'd like to be able to go 65 mph. On grades over 6% I'm fine with going 55 mph or slightly less.
The HPEV motors have good curves published for steady state performance but I can't find any for the Motenergy motors.

Here's a link to a Chevy S-10 EV conversion that is my "go to" reference for average performance. Since you will still have the use of the 4-speed transmission, 2 of the gears and this motor should be all that you need:

http://evhelp.com/S10_Conversion.htm

You might be able to get by with 72V, but I recommend at least 96-ish volts, and that is a good voltage range for bulk charging from a 120V generator, or...if you ever decide to make up a series-hybrid trailer as a range-extender. In the interests of full disclosure, I read a lot, but I have never done this myself, so YMMV.

spinningmagnets said:
...but I recommend at least 96-ish volts, and that is a good voltage range for bulk charging from a 120V generator, or...if you ever decide to make up a series-hybrid trailer as a range-extender....
Great points on voltage.
This S-10 is using a brushed motor though. Still informative...

Hillhater said:
A "well built" 1600 VW should be good for 100+ bhp.
I think you may be very disappointed with the performance if you use the PMAC motor.
Back in the day (30 or so years ago) a VW powered ICE rail held the 1/8 mile drag racing speed record. :D

It's looking like the AC-3X or AC-50 are the only good options. Does anybody out there have experience with these motors in a buggy?

I think the engine I pulled made about 65 hp at about 4500 rpm.

Have you read JD's thread on his buggy conversion?
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=50717

I haven't done a car conversion, but personally I'd forego the regen on my first build and use a cheaper brushed setup (or maybe SEPEX if you felt you reeeeally need regen?)

AC can be pretty costly - check out the Metricmind website for some beautiful motors at shocking prices.

Gregory said:
I haven't done a car conversion, but personally I'd forego the regen on my first build and use a cheaper brushed setup (or maybe SEPEX if you felt you reeeeally need regen?)

AC can be pretty costly - check out the Metricmind website for some beautiful motors at shocking prices.

The price difference is on par with the cost of upgrading the brakes and having regen will be like getting a brake upgrade. The AC-35 motor and controller is $3450. Plus I really like the way a vehicle with regen drives.

Back