• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

What fuse to use for high current 21700 cells

9and3

1 µW
I'm somehow convinced that fusing individual cells is a good safety feature but I lack electrical skills to answer this question myself.

I'm trying to build a 20s3p high current battery with Molicel P42a cells. The controller is able to pull 50A continuously and 65A peak. So each cell will output a maximum of 16.67A (21,67A peak). Which with respect to the cells datasheet should not be too much of a burden for them. Note: I'm not saying I'll be pushing this much current all day everyday because I expect things to start failing like bike transmission but I would like to design the battery with these constraints in mind.

So my question is: what fuses should I use? Most people are using wire fuses. I found fuse wire good for 30A but it is designed for home applications (230V). Next I saw car fuses. Will those work properly?

9and3 said:
I'm somehow convinced that fusing individual cells is a good safety feature but I lack electrical skills to answer this question myself.
there's a few threads about cell-level fusing that have lots of good info you'll want to read. not everything in the linked list is relevant, but you can probably tell from the titles which might be. (even the ones that aren't probably still have good info in them you may want to have).

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=fus*++cell*&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Back