What is "Danger Zone" for Temperature

rogerc

1 W
Got my kit installed test rode it and watched the temperature on the Cycle Analayst 3.0 and most of the time around 50 C.
Did some steep hill climbing and it got up to 90 C.
What is too hot for a Mac 10 T motor?

RC

this question has been answered before
as with any motor i would keep it under 110c - anything over that you're damaging magnets/ burning enamel/ etc.....

It depends on the motor. The MAC is getting to be a pretty common hub around here. I'd say 95C /200F is the hottest you should allow it to get. Hall sensors can fry. They are very cheap, but dis-assembling the motor to swap one out is a big time-consuming hassle. A solder connection to a thin hall wire can melt. The magnets can partially de-magnetize, so that would make it's Kv faster, and weaker.

I don't know the exact temperature that any of these bad things happen, but 95C / 200F should be pretty safe.

"Temp sensor that's too cool not to share" (3 pages)
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25502

Ok.... I'll keep it below 95 C. Thanks for the replies.
I assume the temp sensor with the CA 3 is pretty accurate and coming right from the internals of the motor.
Surprised that these hills heated it up so quickly. Will have to see if I need to lower my amps.
RC

The halls are rated for 150C. I go over 100C all the time on my HS3545 motor. Max I would go would be 135C. Most of the time I am around 120C. It rises to 105C very fast but pretty much saturates around there unless I really push my motor.

Amazing isn't it, how fast heat builds up when you start putting even just 200w into waste heat by stalling the motor. Ever put you hand on a 200w bulb? Imagine when you really stall a motor and make 500w into heat. This is why I got so hyped up on using the slower hubmotors. In my climate, heating the motor means it could take a really long time to cool.

The key thing to learn with your temp monitor is when you are pushing the motor hotter and hotter, and when you are in equilibrium with the cooling keeping up with the heating, so you can keep riding without getting hotter than the temp you decide is your max.

Below 200F is definitely well inside the safe zone. 250F is not guaranteed to ruin a motor, but by then you will see the color change of the windings varnish.

One thing to realize about a heated motor, is that stopping, which lessens the wind chill, actually causes a spike of more heat. That's when I've had some halls failures, after the ride is over. So if you are in the danger zone, some 15-20 mph cruising to let er cool can be a good thing.

Once hot, a mac will take longer to cool than a dd motor. On a dd, the metal outside is in direct contact with the magnets. The winding will cool slower, but at least it helps avoid magnet damage.

Always impressed with the knowledge on this board.
I learn something everyday. I must have skipped school when they were teaching about electricity ( i really did cut high school a lot, always went to my college classes) and never got an understanding until I starting reading at this forum. Thanks Guys.
RC

Back