What is Everyone using for a sidestand?

Frank

100 W
My converted mountain bike (Phoenix Cruiser) is pretty heavy and currently w/o any type of stand. Can anyone recommend anything? It's fine in the garage but It'd be nice to have something for when we're out and about. I'm afraid a regular sidestand won't be strong enough or will allow the front wheel (front wheel drive) to flop too much making it easy for the bike to fall over. Does anyone make a centerstand these days?

thanks,
Frank

Here's what I use and it works great. Expensive though at about 50 bucks. Maybe you can google around and find a cheaper price. http://www.amazon.com/Pletscher-Two-leg-kickstand/dp/B000FR33ZM/ref=pd_sbs_sg_1

Edit: Here it is for 40 dollars, seems like this is what I paid ...- http://aebike.com/page.cfm?action=details&PageID=30&SKU=KI5000

Attachments

• duoble kickstand.jpg
    duoble kickstand.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 2,965
this one doesn't fold away as nicely, but only 20 bucks plus some shipping
http://www.niagaracycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=11375

I'm using two, both the cheapo kind from the box store bike, one behind the crank, like normal, and the other is the goes on the rear axle kind. With two, its pretty bombproof. One kick folds em both once you get the hang of it. I just love to cheap out on stuff like this.

Ended up with an extra one that attaches to the BOB trailer. With longer bolts, it attached to the extra large chainstay on the recumbent. I think these were about $20 plus shipping. Alloy, about 1/2 pound, seem plenty strong. If you look closely at my current avatar you will see two, since the BOB trailer is hooked on with its kickstand also.

EDIT: $15.99 here:
http://www.biketrailershop.com/catalog/260-greenfield-stabalizer-kickstandfor-bob-trailer-p-113.html?osCsid=uftast486mfdm3g0rbbtr2dp93

After much experimentation and the unwillingness to spend fifty bucks I used a wal mart stand. It's aluminum and hollow so it's adjustable but not strong enough on it's own so I epoxied an old drill bit the diameter of the center inside it and made a wooden piece to fit alongside it and have epoxied the whole thing together. It's been lasting, knock on wood, more than a year with no problems.

Mike

Standard greenfield kickstand long 305mm with an extension made from plain sheet steel. Pressed on and glued in place.

I just finished adding a Go-Hub from Largo Scooters to my mountain bike this weekend, and am sorely in need of a double kickstand. Unfortunately, my Specialized doesn't have a mounting plate. Do any of the options mentioned above include the adapter need to work with a bike without a kickstand mounting plate?

Personally, I think the double leg kickstands are going to be a pain for regular everyday use. I think one of the tires will come off the ground when its extended which means you will be constantly lifting the bike.

The cheapie kickstands that come on box store bikes that goes on the rear axle are suprisingly sturdy. They handle big loads on the rear rack real good. A metal plate with a hole in it will allow mounting a stand on the frame behind the crank if there isn't a bracket for it there. Some kickstands come with the plate.

D-Man said:
Personally, I think the double leg kickstands are going to be a pain for regular everyday use. I think one of the tires will come off the ground when its extended which means you will be constantly lifting the bike.
I tried some ebikes with the double kickstand and it seems quite handy, especially when sliding the battery pack on the rear rack.
dogman said:
A metal plate with a hole in it will allow mounting a stand on the frame behind the crank if there isn't a bracket for it there. Some kickstands come with the plate.
I've got a spare piece of fairly strong steel left over that I can use for the kickstand plate. Thanks for the idea.

A wall works pretty good....

wall199c.jpg

Don't rest it on storefront glass, though! :)

ngocthach1130 said:
this one doesn't fold away as nicely, but only 20 bucks plus some shipping
http://www.niagaracycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=11375

I got one of those. One problem with these kickstands is that it doesn't come with the top metal plate so you can't "sandwich" clamp it down onto your frame. I had to use the top metal plate from my old kickstand to make it work on my bike. :wink: Another problem is that the rubber feet fell off after 2 days of riding (damn... if I would have known I would have epoxied them in place) :x

Does the tire come off the ground?

I ordered one of these from Niagara Cycles
104003md.jpg

to got with this
94756md.jpg

based on a recommendation from Niagara.

Greenfield RetroKit Kickstand Mounting Bracket for Shimano derailleurs

* For use with new Shimano front derailleur
* Burnished aluminum

For use with top swing & E-type front derailleurs. The RetroKit is designed to clear the wire of certain Shimano derailleurs with a new cutaway casting. This kickstand is mounted from underneath. Our unique new engineering allows for quicker installation, and it fits some unusual frames that our original stand may not without the need for adjustment.
I hope that it works or I'll have to get creative in my mounting scheme.

I don't know what I like better, the kickstand or the bike! I learned back in the seventies that alloy kickstands, like forks, just snap when they fail. Invariably, there was a bubble in the metal where it broke. Steel good.

After reading this thread I ordered one like Shurtrbug above shows the picture of. Had to go through Amazon as the seller website must have been experiencing problems but it shipped right away and arrived yesterday.

It took only a few seconds to remove my old one and put this on but my frame sits too high for it too fit without modification. Adding a few washers as spacers didn't work as the stand would twist so I wound up making a full width spacer out of some oak and for the moment it works great.

I used it this AM however, prior to the second modification, and found that unless it's on level ground it won't work. You have to have both sides of your bike on a level surface which is something I actually knew from having this type of stand on English motorcycles but had forgotten. Oh well, I'll continue working with it as I like the idea of having my battery pack level and not pulling to one side. I've modified it several times and have about whipped that problem but if this stand will work that will be all it takes.

It certainluy appears to be a well made, sturdy product at a very reasonable price.
Mike

The one I got from mirosier is great I've been meaning to ask him about it. I'm pretty sure it's designed as kick stand/torque arm and it locks in the down position. Because it's right there at the rear motor it supports the weight well and the locking feature is great. The bike can't roll forward and disengage the stand let the bike fall(something I've had happen a few times on my non-motored bikes). I searched around a bit for it but wasn't able to find it on my own. I'll see if I can't post a picture.

Parker wrote:
the locking feature is great. The bike can't roll forward and disengage the stand let the bike fall
This statement gave me a great idea. I just went out and checked my current kickstand, and it has a stationery round part on both sides of the moving part. I think I can drill a small hole through this and stick a small stainless hitch pin through to lock the kickstand in place. Then I will find a convenient place on the rack to store the pin. I will post a picture when done. With the extra weight my bike will roll forward and fall if I don't park it just right. With the BOB trailer hooked up the whole thing is 12 feet long and can be hard to get into a good position for using the kickstand.

Hmm, sounds like the same features on my scavenged from a 60 buck when it was new bike ,kickstand. It bolts on the rear, is strong steel, and with the right size hole in it, could be a torque arm too. I really like the way two kickstands hold my bike up, one on the frame by the crank and one on the back axle. It's totally bombproff, and the bikes they come off of are unridable junk you pick up at a garage sale for 10 bucks or less.

Already had these 3/32" hitch pins, so just had to drill the hole. Only one pin will be used, but in the picture below there are three pins. One is in the kickstand at the swivel to lock the kickstand in place. The next is just hanging there so you can see the pin style. The last is stuck in a hole on the upper part of the bracket, where it will be carried when not in use.

Attachments

• Kickstand080308 002.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 1,438
Back