What is the most cost effective RC brushless motor?

socalfusions

10 mW
What RC brushless motor would you say is the best deal in terms of how much power you're getting for what you pay? The Turnigy 80-100-B seems to give a lot of power/torque for only $100. Do any other notable rc brushless motors come to mind?

If you use the low-kV of 130 on a smaller tire such as a 20", it allows the possibility of a single-stage from the motor to the chain, just like PaulD's race-winning bike. Of course if you are driving the axle of the rear wheel, the high peak-amp loads will require an expensive controller, such as a Castle Creations HV160 (High-Voltage 160-amp).

if you have the ability to make/build a gear-down around a 10:1 ratio, the peak amps are much lower. This allows you to get significant power with a smaller motor and a less-expensive controller. The smaller 63mm diameter motors can be found in kVs around 170-200...

I think one of the best value for money motors is this one https://www.leaderhobby.com/product.asp?ID=9394001224161 as it can be driven from a very cheap speed controller without to much modification, I have 3 of these motors and all 3 have performed well and have also been very reliable upto 4kw If I wanted more power I would consider using 2 or more of these motors on a common shaft :wink:

spinningmagnets said:
If you use the low-kV of 130 on a smaller tire such as a 20", it allows the possibility of a single-stage from the motor to the chain, just like PaulD's race-winning bike. Of course if you are driving the axle of the rear wheel, the high peak-amp loads will require an expensive controller, such as a Castle Creations HV160 (High-Voltage 160-amp).

if you have the ability to make/build a gear-down around a 10:1 ratio, the peak amps are much lower. This allows you to get significant power with a smaller motor and a less-expensive controller. The smaller 63mm diameter motors can be found in kVs around 170-200...

gwhy! said:
I think one of the best value for money motors is this one https://www.leaderhobby.com/product.asp?ID=9394001224161 as it can be driven from a very cheap speed controller without to much modification, I have 3 of these motors and all 3 have performed well and have also been very reliable upto 4kw If I wanted more power I would consider using 2 or more of these motors on a common shaft :wink:

Thanks for your responses :D

Back