MapMyRide
Travel SpeedTracker - Ad Supported and Ad pop-ups
CycleStreets
Runtastic Road Bike / Pro
Strava

Android

OsmAnd
CycleStreets

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's loads of smartphone apps out there now for mapping and tracking.

What do you use and why?

I mainly use an app called GPSLite which has now been succeeded by Motionxgps.

What I liked about GPSLite is that you can export your track to a KML file and open it in Google Earth to look at altitude information. However, I believe Motionxgps now includes altitude information within the app itself.

It would be interesting to see what others are using in case I'm missing out!

Kudos

What platform are you on? I'm on Android and have two recommendations. The first is OsmAnd, which gives offline vector based mapping and routing based on open street map data. There isn't much it can't do and I use it for nearly all my mapping needs. I highly recommend it. The second is Cyclestreets, but this is only for the UK. It cycle routing is leaps and bounds ahead of anything else out there, but requires an internet connection to function, although the map data can be stored offline.

I'm on iOS by the way but I'm still interested in Android apps.

If there's something really good I'd be tempted to get a small Android tablet maybe.

Kudos

Strava

Getting a few now so I'm going to update the first post with a list.......

Kudos

myTracks on Android is a good one. Endomondo drives me nuts with the constant attempts at upselling me stuff even when I already paid for the pro version. It is the best one I have found so far that hooks into my bluetooth heart rate monitor, though.

Countdown timer
Camera
Text messaging.

Phones have really improved since tone dialing

Back