What sort of helmet should I get for the ebike I'm gonna get?

kodexof731

1 µW
I'm going to get a class 3 ebike that goes up to 30mph. I was recently in an accident on my scooter, and got a concussion, as well as some other injuries I'm recovering from. I'm looking to get a helmet that can cover my full face, is vented, easy to wear during the summer (100°+) and has eye protection or something I can wear goggles with. I'd also like a removable chin guard but (is that safe?). My budget is $50-$200, but the cheaper (best quality) the better. MIPS would be great.
tutuapp vidmate
I'm also open to other gear for elbows, knees, hands and clothing to wear while riding! Don't wanna wear straight motorcycle gear but I need to stay protected because I don't wanna have my arm skinned again if I get into another accident 😅

Last edited:
I just use a good regular bike helmet. If you are planning to actually get some exercise while riding other types may be very uncomfortable. As for speed, we go 50 MPH + on our pedal bikes (mountain downhills) with these helmets. Not sure they would save my noggin in a crash from that speed but 30 MPH, sure.

if you poke around there are a whole bunch of helmet threads with lots of good info in them.

i never had an event to test it's protection ability, but this helmet was very comfortable (other than the heat buildup which could make it unwearable in some conditions) back when i used one
Speed Strength SS2200
see pics in this post

but any enclosing helmet is going to be very toasty in direct sunlight when it's hot out, and it is also going to restrict your vision and hearing to some degree. if those are not factors, then you can go for one like those.

This dual sport helmet worked good for me in a recent 24MPH ebike crash with a steel trash dumpster:

Totalled the bike, broke my hand and my hip, did a flip over the dumpster - but no head injuries. Loved the internal drop down sun visor for sunny commutes. Hate having to take my glasses off to put it on then put them back on through the visor opening.

For my pedal bike I have a MIPS slalom helmet with chin bar:

Haven't crashed it yet, though.

For my motorcycle I've been using a modular helmet so I can raise the chin piece, put it on, then close it without removing glasses:
Protect Yourself with This Matte Black Motorcycle Helmet: Full Face Helmet Flip Double Sun Hat Safety Protective Helmet For Men & Women

I've seen ones where you can flip the chin all the way to the back and ride that way too:

I want one, but figure I'd always ride that way and lose my chin eventually.

What the what???? How fast was that dumpster going when it cut in front of you? ;) But I'm glad you weren't injured even worse.

This dual sport helmet worked good for me in a recent 24MPH ebike crash with a steel trash dumpster:

Totalled the bike, broke my hand and my hip, did a flip over the dumpster - but no head injuries.

Back