What's the point of 1000+W ebikes ?

Can someone explain to me please, what nominal or continious watt rating of motor means?
If I have somekind of pedal assist torque sensor, and turn pedals at 400w for 3 minutes, can 250w rated direct drive motor, continiously supply 100% of my effort? Buenvie

I always find it amusing that there is such a refusal to admit that even though it has pedals, a high powered ebike is no longer a bicycle, it's really identicle to an electric moped. The end result is really the same, you can ride it anywhere since no one pays attention or gives a crap, but to be able to cruise around town at 30+ mph while not pedaling isn't an experience I've ever had on a bicycle. On a scooter or gas moped, sure.

E-geezer said:
I always find it amusing that there is such a refusal to admit that even though it has pedals, a high powered ebike is no longer a bicycle, it's really identicle to an electric moped. The end result is really the same, you can ride it anywhere since no one pays attention or gives a crap, but to be able to cruise around town at 30+ mph while not pedaling isn't an experience I've ever had on a bicycle. On a scooter or gas moped, sure.

We call them electric bicycles..not bicycles or electric motorcycles.

Don't worry though, eventually we will see new restricted laws and fees pertaining to ebikes. Just a matter of time, so enjoy the freedoms while you can.
I fully appreciate the ability to cruise around town at 20 mph or less on a ebike that is capable of higher speeds, without having to pay fees, insurance, tags, etc....I save the higher speeds for only the proper circumstances.

I don't feel like my 1000W(ish) mid drive ebike is much like a moped or scooter at all. It weighs under 40lbs with battery (less than some non electric bikes), retains a fully functional pedal system that is very much capable of being the only source of power on the bike, and looks almost exactly like a bicycle. It's capable of around 30mph, though riding at around 20 is much more comfortable under most conditions, due to lack of wind protection and suspension. But the bike is light enough to remove the battery from, and put on a transit buses bike rack.

Aside from crossing some arbitrary line in terms of the power handling capabilities of the motor how is this a scooter or a moped?

This bike is my primary transportation, and has been for a couple of years now. It's not for fun, nor for exercise, though it does provide me with plenty of both. It's how I get my groceries home, get to my appointments, etc.

It's technically not a legal ebike in Canada, we have a 500W/32kph (20mph) restriction, but I'd say I ride within (or very near) those limits at least 90% of the time I'm on public roads. When climbing steep hills (and there are some serious hills in and around Vancouver) 1000W is far from a reckless amount of power, trust me. It gets the job done though, and without some serious gear reduction I don't see how 500W even in a mid drive would make it, let alone some poor hub motor.

In the 3 years or so I've been riding this rig around the city, I've never had even a sideways look from law enforcement. They don't see a scooter or a moped, they see an electric bicycle going somewhat faster than a normal bicycle would, usually riding within the traffic code. Not on a sidewalk, not the wrong way against traffic, respecting other traffic. If I pull into traffic and accelerate to 30mph, it's not because I want to, it's because it was the safest option available to me, and as soon as I can I return to bicycle(ish) speed, and get out of traffic. Cops have seen me do this hundreds of times I'm sure, I've probably done it directly in front of several, it doesn't seem to concern them in any way, as long as it's done safely.

At the end of the day there's no big safety issue here beyond normal bike riding, as long as the bike is in good working order, and the driver is competent, same as any other vehicle. There's nothing about licensing a scooter/moped (Low Speed Motorcycle here) that ensures that the brakes work and the tires are inflated properly. As far as I can see, it's mostly their additional weight vs a bicycle that equals a potential liability in a crash, so we require some very basic driver testing and very cheap insurance for them. A 40lb ebike going 25mph is really unlikely to kill anyone but the dude riding it like a moron with no helmet, so we let him take his chances. He's still liable if he breaks anyone or anything with it.

marvak said:
Can someone explain to me please, what nominal or continious watt rating of motor means?

It means in a precise sense pretty much nothing. I'm actually in the process of making a dedicated article on our website explaining the futility of giving ebike motors a "power rating" which you can read here
http://www.ebikes.ca/learn/power-ratings.html

If I have somekind of pedal assist torque sensor, and turn pedals at 400w for 3 minutes, can 250w rated direct drive motor, continiously supply 100% of my effort? Buenvie

If you are asking can a nominally 250 W rated direct drive motor (which isn't telling us very much about that motor) produce 400 watts of mechanical power for 3 minutes (ie exactly matching your own efforts), the answer is almost for sure yes. But that same motor can almost for sure be made to burn up and overheat if asked to provide just 100 watts of power continuously at a very low RPM. Power rating is just the wrong unit to characterize a motor.

It's also as people have noted here a pretty silly means of making the legal definition for an ebike. The OP asked what's the point of a 1000W ebike. Well, for a heavy guy to ride up a fairly steep 8% grade hill and sustain a very modest 15mph, you need almost exactly 1000 watts of mechanical output power. 250 watts of power will only let you climb that hill at about 4 mph, which is not all that useful of a commuting speed, and so slow that the bike itself can become less stable and safe to ride.

So for me when I'm riding my bike on the flats I'm typically averaging just 250-350 watts from the motor, it's all I need too and I really dislike the acceleration that you get from 1000 watts, it doesn't add to my ride enjoyment at all. However when I'm going up hills I'm super grateful to be able to dump in 1200-1300 watts into the motor so that I can get ~1000 watts out of it and maintain a good commuting clip without slowing to a crawl.

That's the reason Jason has a suggested load limit for the kits he sells. Trying to get the message out there, that even a 1000w system may fail if asked to haul a coffee bar or a hot dog stand up hills. or the 400 pound guy, in 26" wheel.

Staying inside the suggested load limit helps avoid that situation, lugged down too slow under 100w, or 1000.

With a mid drive, the rider can intelligently select the gear that gets up a hill at 3 mph, using the least wattage possible, if that is what he wants to do. Some ride mid drives up hills in too high a gear, and heat up the motor anyway.

dustNbone said:
I don't feel like my 1000W(ish) mid drive ebike is much like a moped or scooter at all. It weighs under 40lbs with battery (less than some non electric bikes), retains a fully functional pedal system that is very much capable of being the only source of power on the bike, and looks almost exactly like a bicycle. It's capable of around 30mph, though riding at around 20 is much more comfortable under most conditions, due to lack of wind protection and suspension. But the bike is light enough to remove the battery from, and put on a transit buses bike rack.

Woot. How do you squeeze a 1000W mid drive within 40lbs with battery ? I would be quite interesting in your build. Do you have some pictures ?

Just start with a really light bike. In my case it's a 1974 Nishiki touring bike, steel frame but basically everything else is aluminum. 700c wheels, 32mm front tire, 35mm rear. The motor is a BBS02, no display or PAS parts, just a throttle. The bike weighs around 19lbs, motor around 10. The battery I use around town is a 14s5p "SharK" style pack of Samsung 30Q, I think it weighs around 7.5lbs. A few pounds of lights, rack cellphone mount, etc brings it around 40 lbs. For longer trips I have a beast 16s 20Ah A123 pack in a steel ammo box that I can put on the rack, it weighs 20lbs but can still be easily removed and carried onto a bus if necessary.

My original post on the build is here

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=78858

markz said:
Compoundbike said:
I overtake cocky (wanna be) cycle pro`s in my stealth looking mountain bike. Im also in Spandex so that little electric moto gives me a edge.. lol

You are a Poser :lol:
The spandex crowd would say: Cheater :wink:

MadRhino said:
markz said:
Compoundbike said:
I overtake cocky (wanna be) cycle pro`s in my stealth looking mountain bike. Im also in Spandex so that little electric moto gives me a edge.. lol

You are a Poser :lol:
The spandex crowd would say: Cheater :wink:

They would say that, but ebiker couldnt hear em from behind the wind noise in there ears.

for commuting 1000w is the minimum when hills are involved. I find on the flat 700w is plenty. And 8 to 10 kw off road is awesome. :)

I'd like see heavy fines on crazy reckless 10kw riders on the street, pisses me off when I see some chopper zipping past and running wide in corners etc. I know it won't be long till there's a few deaths and they will over react.

Tell ya what though, I have utter respect for the some of the Lycra guys, insane fitness levels and usually very good etiquette on cycle ways etc. some ebikers are disgrace in there awareness of signaling their intent or slowing down around intersections and slower riders. Seen a number of close calls in my year of commuting. A common issue is a tired cyclist going up a hill starting to crab around and an ebike zipping past.

Id say 1000w should be the bare minimum legal limit and 1500w would be my pick.

Jestronix said:
Tell ya what though, I have utter respect for the some of the Lycra guys, insane fitness levels and usually very good etiquette on cycle ways etc. some ebikers are disgrace in there awareness of signaling their intent or slowing down around intersections and slower riders. Seen a number of close calls in my year of commuting. A common issue is a tired cyclist going up a hill starting to crab around and an ebike zipping past.
Me too, it's amazing how few people anticipate that a slow rider will veer to the sides unpredictably. Personally, I maintain an "arm's length" rule for other cyclists, pedestrians, cars, doorways, etc. If I can reach out and touch it as I pass by, I'm too close. This prevents 99% of potential accidents from people unexpectedly veering into my path.

Yeah if I'm passing another cyclist I really prefer to wait until I have a clear lane to do so in. I've had enough close calls with tired lycras not hearing my warning over their exasperated body noises, and that would be an ugly collision.

What makes me laugh is when they realize I'm on an electric bike, and still try to race me! I sometimes let them ahead of me and fall back so I don't feel responsible for their heart exploding.

what is the point of 1000W ebike ???
I consider my EPLUS 1000W bicycle - has fully functioning pedals,
I can pedal at 30mph .
What most forget here that final max speed depends on me not motor.
I add up to 100W-150W on the top of motor and I decide what final speed is.
Everybody agree here that on the street:
the faster you go the fewer car pass by = safer ride.
Of course I dont even ride 20mph on pathway.

I guess it depends on the person. I can give you my reasoning.

I just moved across the country from Ontario to Alberta. I sold my motorcycle (DRZ400SM) before making the move. I wanted to do some bicycling exercise on flats, but I also wanted the option to replace my dual sport motorcycle and go anywhere with it (in terms of terrain), and maybe even commute with it, so I decided to go high power. It was also fortuitous because I never looked at the topography of the area before moving, or deciding to build this bike, and I now live in a quite hilly area. One of the hills is ~4km long and ranges from 6.5% to 10% grade. In order to get my fatass (~200lbs) and my bike up that hill at the max allowable speed of 32kph it takes ~1500W to accelerate to that speed over 5 seconds, going up the hill, and ~1250W to sustain it (made an excel spreadsheet to calculate). And that is just a road based hill, there are lots of other steeper hills, some unpaved, some only with stairs connecting walking paths because they are very steep, that I want to attempt.

On the non-hill areas, I would like to be able to feel like I am riding a motorcycle, even if I am only going 32kph (that's approximately how fast we would go when I went to motorcycle safety school, and it was envigorating! lol). In unregulated areas, or private areas, I'd like to go even faster if possible.

I should not be legally required to own 2 electric bicycles if I want to ride in all these environments. The government should trust me enough to keep to the speed limit in public areas, just like they do with motorcycles and cars. In Canada there are essentially 4 types of 2 wheeled vehicles under federal regulations, bicycles, power-assisted bicycles, limited-speed motorcycle (aka mopeds/scooters), and motorcycles. Bicycles are effectively unregulated. PABs are limited to 500W/32kph. Mopeds are limited to 70kph. Motorcycles are unlimited.

I would be willing to effectively have to do everything that a LSM (which all 500W+ ebikes legally are) has to do, that is max bike speed of 70kph, have proper headlights, indicator lights, brake lights, reflectors, horn, mirrors, always wear a helmet(do anyways), get insurance, maybe even licensing (I have a motorcycle license, so this doesn't matter to me personally). As long as it meant I could ride the bike anywhere, on the roads, in parks, offroad trails, private property, etc... Of course following the 32kph rule for public areas, and just generally being safe and not a douche, like slowing down to a maximum of 15kph when passing people, giving them at least 1m of space if possible. I could go and register my bike as an a LSM right now, I have all the parts to turn it into an LSM sitting on a shelf in my office, but then I would lose the ability to ride through the park, which I am not willing to do, so I have to hide in public, I have to fake my motor power with a cheap sticker.

On a more technical side, the idea of motor power being an item of regulation is, frankly, stupid. The nominal/continuous power rating (the "sticker" rating) of a motor is only the amount of power that motor uses at peak efficiency. That's it. It has nothing to do with speed, acceleration, or torque. It has absolutely no motive metric, or safety metric. The only logical power rating for a motor is peak and how long that peak power can be sustained for, and that is only so the user knows what levels to set the controller at so they don't fry their motor. Even your legal 250W/500W BLDC hub motor could run at more than 250W/500W, even much much higher if it was cooled properly.

Suffice it to say, I think I need more than 500W, more than 1000W, to use this bike comfortably the way I want to use it.

marvak said:

For the most part, the ratings given are for peak efficiency. So when a motor says "500W nominal", it means that at its peak efficiency the motor uses 500W of power. An example I can give is a high power hub motor, the QS205 50H V3, it has a nominal power rating of 3000W. That means when it is at its peak efficiency, of 93%, it is using 3000W. Not really all that helpful of a metric, if you ask me.

qwerkus said:
I've been doing some reading through this forum, and keep wondering why people would put such strong e-motors on non-cargo bikes. I understand e-bike legislation changes from one country to another, and that in the US, you can build an ebikes thrice as powerful as in europe. Yet for me riding a bike as always been more about the combination of fun and exercise which seem to be lost once the vehicle comes with a big motor. For an instance, I tried a 500W bike last week because of my declining health and the many hills out there, and ended up completely overpowered by the machine, pedaling just in order to keep the PAS system going, but without putting any actual effort in it. Now I'm considering a 220W motor or less, which will give me far more range, and still something to pedal for. Of course, if I had to carry a 300Kg, it would surely be a different story. Speed is also not really a big deal for me: I have to stop every few blocks during my commute anyway. So my question goes to those commuters who don't ride cargos: what's the point of a 1000+W motor ?

Well what to say? People are different and have different needs and different wants. Good for you that you have found your sweet spot for motor power. Me I don't think much of why and how you ride your bike. If you use pedals or not, if you like speed or slow paste cruising. And I gotta say, why do you care what I ride, how much power I got and how fast I ride? Does it really matter to you?

But to not seem unfriendly I will explain. I love big power, and I love speed. It doesn't matter if it is in a car, motorcycle, UTV or a bicycle. I even love skiing steep stuff just for the thrill of it. But more so I love the acceleration. I can never get enough acceleration. And that is what I get plenty of when riding a hi powered e-bike. It is all about fun for me when riding e-bike. Work out I can do in the gym or when hiking.

I just got my own latest e-bike running last night, and I spent the afternoon today running errands on it. It's a good bike, capable of more than 30mph on motor power and equipped with a great frame, wheels, and brakes for that job.

But it's way more pleasant at 22mph or less. There's no getting around it. Less wind noise, less harshness and vibration, more situational awareness. Faster isn't better. Right now I have the system limited to 25mph, but after I shake all the bugs out of it, I expect I'll reset the limit lower.

Chalo said:
I just got my own latest e-bike running last night, and I spent the afternoon today running errands on it. It's a good bike, capable of more than 30mph on motor power and equipped with a great frame, wheels, and brakes for that job.

But it's way more pleasant at 22mph or less. There's no getting around it. Less wind noise, less harshness and vibration, more situational awareness. Faster isn't better. Right now I have the system limited to 25mph, but after I shake all the bugs out of it, I expect I'll reset the limit lower.

Got a good bike myself,... all the bugs were worked out long ago, it's quite solid, safe, and VERY dependable. Been tested hard at max settings jus to assure the level of safety, durability and dependability are all well within an appropriate margin. Yes,it's seen 40mph,... a 1500w hub @ 52V 40A,... was very solid, stable, and safe. But it hasn't seen much of 40 since,... heck, those speeds are jus a bit unnerving for me on a bicycle.

My system is set and limited to 30mph, I find that to be my max comfort,.... and I only run at that on desolate pavement for short hurried runs of ideal conditions, for jus a mile or 2. Mostly, it's that ideal 20mph and often less, even on those same or longer desolate stretches. I COULD, cut my output amps up to half and still be comfortable, but that little reserve "burst" of low speed acceleration power is often utilized when crossing traffic and jus getting outa the way of others in town when necessary, I'm getting old and getting into the pedals jus isn't what it used to be for me. But it's become rare for me to see a 1500W+ draw on my screen,... mostly, I'm well under a 1000W, and enjoy the range benefits more than speed.

atarijedi said:
markz said:
atarijedi said:
I just moved across the country from Ontario to Alberta.
Great choice, hope its C-Town!

I live in C-Town just west of C-Town.

Good good, closer to the mountains then. Cochrane and Canmore are very nice, Banff can get boring once you lay off the juice and dance floors. I want to ride some trails out that way, I literally do 50km a day. We should get all the Calgary & Area people here on ES a get together.

@Chalo - I agree with you there 20mph is about 32kph, and my sweet spot is 35-40kph for fast'ish cruising. Slow cruising is 30kph. I find though if I go 30kph I get a little more range then 35, and a lot more range then 40kph.

I play around with the motor simulator a lot.
But even more so, Trip Simulator (Beta), I can be on that way longer. That and Google Maps itself. Looking for new routes to take.

Back