Will 52v BBSHD work with 48v Battery?

Chuy

100 µW
I received my BBSHD motor and noticed it has a 52v sticker on it. The vendor, Greenergy, never gave me the choice of a 48v or 52v motor. Their webpage does state 48/52 volts on it but the order process did not offer an option and I did not think to ask. I ordered a 48v battery from a different vendor. I will have onhand both a DM03 and Eggrider displays. Will the motor run under powered? Will I have incorrect readings on the displays? I have e-mailed the vendor but I don't expect a response until Monday. Also, why would vendor send two sticker with widely different specs?

IMG_1281.jpeg

Given the markings on them, the stickers are for a BPM hubmotor; don't know why they'd send them with a middrive. FWIW, they are identical stickers, and don't have any difference in their specs / markings I can see.

If it's helpful, there are a number of threads that mention / discuss the 48v vs 52v thing; the list linked below is just for the pre-xenforo archive, as the new xf search won't let me search the right way. Not all threads are relevant, as it just searches the first post for relevant terms and I didn't filter it further, but there is useful info in the applicable ones.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums-o...16d354d8d3ffc340a894da1d606854d&submit=Search

I believe I read that the 52V operation is a firmware change, most likely done by your seller. Doesn't really affect motor operation.

The low voltage cutoff is a hidden user setting, and your seller may not have changed it. Should be around 40-41V for a 48V battery and 43-44V for a 52V battery. You'll lose a little range on a 48V battery if they raised this number. If you buy the programming cable ($18 on amazon), you can access these settings and change them if you wish,

Greenergy stated the 48v battery with the 52v motor is ok. Thanks for your replies.

As for the stickers,they replied, “And for the stickers,it is a gift.some country only could use 250W”. I believe the limit in the US is 750 watts. Could it fool most authorities with the big motor?

Most people, even those that build their own bikes from kits, don't know enough about the stuff to tell the difference. ;)

Most authorities don't care, as long as you are riding like a bicycle in places a bicycle should be and look like a bicycle.

When hooning around in ways authorities might take exception to, they might stop you for that, and at the same time go ahead and check what you're riding to see what other tickets they can give, or see if they can arrest or shoot you just because. ;)

When riding things that don't look like typical bicycles****, authorities may become interested just because of that--whether they do anything about it or not depends on the individuals and any directives they may have from above (and how much they care about those).

A few places actually check for things with random roadside stops, but I've not heard of this here on the forums from California yet.

****(It's been years now, but I've had a few stop me on CrazyBike2 or the SB Cruiser trike, to see what it was, but I think it was more curiosity than anything else. As soon as they could see they have fully functional pedals that I'm using, and all the lighting/signals/etc, they usually thank me for that and my riding safely and go on, since they *are* just ebikes by the definition of when and where they were built, regardless of their appearance. ;) and I'm riding like a bicycle where bicycles should be, at bicycle speeds)

I find it almost shocking that a company, even if Chinese, would openly encourage such deception. I can see authorities stopping some bikes to see if the bike should be defined as a motorized vehicle which may require additional safety items and registration/certification.

Back