Will TSDZ2 or BBS02 fit on this bike?

Chuckles1

1 mW
Hey all. New member, first post.

Want to put a mid- drive on one of my bikes. I suspect this bike with 68mm BB shell and 2"+ tire width capacity is a no go. Can you tell? The bulky triple mech makes it hard to see, but the chainstays go outboard of the BB shell about 1.75" from center of shell.

If not a mid- drive, suggestions to electrify this hybrid for paved and gravel roads in hilly terrain. I'm 155 lbs and would like 40 miles range pedal assist only. Thanks for any thoughts.

20210103_141129.jpg

20210103_141443.jpg

20210103_141420.jpg

20210103_141225.jpg

20210103_141027.jpg

20210103_141056.jpg

20210103_141359.jpg

TSDZ2 probably not. I have two of these and did a quick measure.

From the centre line of the BB measure back 3". If the chainstays (outside) are more than 3" across at this point it won't fit as intended. It will need to be offset to the right which is usually detrimental to the chain line, or maybe bash in the chainstay a bit.

The TSDZ2 will fit no problem, you may have to use 1 or both of the supplied shims to offset the motor, but in use it doesn't seem to make much difference if the chain line is offset ( you would be surprised just how far the chain line can be out ).

Michael B said:

From the centre line of the BB measure back 3". If the chainstays (outside) are more than 3" across at this point it won't fit as intended. It will need to be offset to the right which is usually detrimental to the chain line, or maybe bash in the chainstay a bit.

Thanks Michael, for providing a practical measurement based on experience. I measured 3" back and outside of chainstays are about 3.75", so I guess there's no way a mid- drive is going to fit, even with offset.

Chuckles1 said:
Michael B said:

Thanks Michael, for providing a practical measurement based on experience. I measured 3" back and outside of chainstays are about 3.75", so I guess there's no way a mid- drive is going to fit, even with offset.
If chainline is the main concern, the Bafang motors have different chain ring (diameters) and offset options, so you have a better chance at getting things aligned.

My BBS02 is already offset by 10 -15 mm (resolved with Lekkie crank arms) so shims will exacerbate the situation. FME, MTB's with "straight" chainstays and 68mm BB's seem to accommodate the BBS well, and I have built with both steel and aluminum frames.

BBS02 with 100mm spindle would probably be ok. Consider using two straight crank arms to bring the Q factor in as small as possible and center the whole thing according to them using spacers both sides. As little as you can get away with on the right and all the rest on the left.

Hi,Maybe this will help

Attachments

• EBS-Bafang-Mittelmotor-Rahmenzeichnung_F03.jpg
    EBS-Bafang-Mittelmotor-Rahmenzeichnung_F03.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 652
Looking at those dimensions I would think a BBS01 would bolt straight up so if a standard BBS02 is the same it should fit too.

Metal bike frames are very easy to reshape - modify (DENT) where and if needed. Just lay a hammer handle at the spot and hit it with a soft blow type hammer. BB shells on them are relatively thin so fitting into motor gap should be of little concern. Would be great is you could get one offset crank arm so they can match up squarely underneath you.

Back