Wind and Solar vs Coal, Gasoline, Nuclear

No its not the dirty money, its the clean money that they cant manage. If it was their own house, they'd manage money properly the first time trouble hits or the first time some things been overpaid, or built thats not needed. We are now on the millionth uptime they have royally screwed up on budgeting and spending in every single city, county on up.

But there is the problem right there, its not their families money. Its easy to spend someone else's money. Just pawn the problems off unto the next generation. Its the same way with pollution.

grift

n.
Money made dishonestly, as in a swindle.
n.
A swindle or confidence game.
intransitive verb
To engage in swindling or cheating.

Dauntless said:
markz said:
Things always cost EVEN more then what the government says.

That's because the government knows better than to to talk about the grift portion.

markz said:
No its not the dirty money, its the clean money that they cant manage. If it was their own house, they'd manage money properly the first time trouble hits or the first time some things been overpaid, or built thats not needed. We are now on the millionth uptime they have royally screwed up on budgeting and spending in every single city, county on up.

I don't think you understand. Obama's so called stimulus package was such a brutal failure because it was largely grift. Payoffs to cronies, the supporters from the election, not much there to actually help America. Did Obama discuss that? Are you kidding? Did the media discuss that? More than they would today, but Obama was always given some about of coverup for any wrongdoing.

The City of L.A. is so horrible they harass people trying to help the homeless and say they're interfering with the City getting amounts of money such as $1.8 billion and the like. Which mostly goes to the supporters of the elected officials. Grift. It's no secret the homeless are considered a cash cow in Los Angeles.

Yeah thats a crazy case. You got bums #2'ing on the street in front the fuzz and getting away with it, meanwhile you ride your ebike on the sidewalk and decide to take a #2 on the street you will be fined twice. One for defacation and twice for riding your bicycle on the sidewalk, and you'd be investigated for an illegal ebike and summoned to court because you do not look like a bum, you look like you have money.

Dauntless said:
The City of L.A.

We have several converging challenges facing us down. CO2 balance and other waste sinks are full, energy and non-renewable resource access is past peak and will enter descent, at the same time that we are stuck in a debt based financial system bearing interest that can only be paid back with exponential growth, with elites in control taking 100's times more than their fair share of the surplus that the workers create. Pragmatic decisions on how to change can only come based on knowledge of how everything in our current system fits together. And of our true opportunities and constraints. There are great thinkers standing on the shoulders of giants such as Nate Hagens and Richard Heinberg teaching us the "why" of everything must change. Please everyone, spend 1 hour of your time to view the 4 Hagens short video slideshows to get your first glimpse of this essential information. Learn. Think. Talk. Steer the conversation for better outcomes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbbfqyJ9elY&list=PLdHV4AV3ixB2GIi8SyuCANgMmBKYRtyJS

But we also live in an age of determined young activists such as Sunrise Movement, Fridays for Future and Extinction Rebellion who realize that we are headed into a grim future of pollution and receding energy, nonrenewable resources, biodiversity, and food and water. And are willing to take to the streets to push for change.
As far as teaching Reality 101: Hagens was tasked by his Dean to create that video course which is required entrance study for all students at the Honors College of U. Minnesota. Which was paired down from the 6 hour course that is a far more complete condensation of his 100 hour class.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsgxopIZzto&list=PLdHV4AV3ixB3Y5_GkHfFD7zzhnozJUsBV

The snowflakes all consider themselves 'Determined Activists.' It was the 'Determined Activists' who put the Nazi's in power in Germany. And some of those 'Determined Activists' called themselves the AntiFacists. I notice one of your groups puts the phrase "Crop failure" on their front page, so we can dismiss them as out of touch right off. Crop productivity is one of the arguments in favor of climate change.

But the important thing is how do we get their silly little sitting asses OFF the streets, the damn signs OUT of their hands, them busy doing something positive rather than their negatives? Stopping arguing with people when they don't know what they're talking about, etc. As with instructional aides being disciplined for showing the little darlings Hagens video.

For ever time you find someone making an effort to get through to them in school, you find how many dozens of incidents of these kids who are reached out to responding in an evil manner? Evergreen State College, etc.

A reduction in crop productivity will follow the descent of energy and fertilizer. And ancient ground water aquifers. The direct actions are needed to help people (apparently like you) understand that everything must change.

sendler2112 said:
A reduction in crop productivity will follow the descent of energy and fertilizer. And ancient ground water aquifers. The direct actions are needed to help people (apparently like you) understand that everything must change.

Have you heard of the Tampa Bay fiasco disaster about to happen, storage of said contaminated water was signed, sealed and approved by government. Fun times over in Tampa Bay.

[youtube]oam2SsNR0cc[/youtube]

So I understand you can grow mushrooms on cardboard floating on the top of that pool of water and they will extract and digest the contamination from the water. I don't think I'd want to eat those mushrooms after, but the shroom fans probably would. Meanwhile, you can make Biobutanol, a biofuel which is a direct substitute for gasoline at lower cost, from mushrooms. Higher energy density than alcohol, lower emissions AND the carbon dioxide from burning it is LESS than what is taken from growing the mushrooms. (Or other feedstocks that can be used.)

And you don't need a refinery, but you can use a winery I guess. Biobutanol is fermented.

So why aren't we using this miracle fuel. . . ?

https://afdc.energy.gov/fuels/emerging_biobutanol.html

https://i.imgur.com/dsM0Of4.mp4

markz said:
Meanwhile new coal plants are being built "over there" yet we have to bear the cost of "green energy"
China is, and has always been, 20 to 30 years behind us.

We should continue to advance, not regress just because people are afraid of new technology.

sendler2112 said:
But we also live in an age of determined young activists such as Sunrise Movement, Fridays for Future and Extinction Rebellion who realize that we are headed into a grim future of pollution and receding energy, nonrenewable resources, biodiversity, and food and water. And are willing to take to the streets to push for change.

I like that those things exist.. but they're more about feeling like they're doing something than actually doing something. Trust me, i know.. i was a political activist in my youth!

When you get involved in activism, you're rallying against corporations and governments that are inextricably financially tied to each other. The idea that this is an easy route for change is a huge misconception..

What really changes things is lifestyle changes on the part of the consumer and the advancement and adoption of technology which can meet our needs for transportation and electricity in a cleaner way.

For example, in North America, many people have air conditioners, but also have heaters. An air conditioner's cycle can be reversed to produce heat with 5 times the efficiency.. and the additional hardware to make an AC unit also a heater is a few valves, a chip, and tubes. It's actually less expensive than buying two separate units.. yet most North Americans never got the memo on this.

If every North American home was fitted with a heat pump/ac.. not only would the house cost less to build, but heating costs would plummet and therefore emissions from the entire continent would drop too.

A well thought out sales campaign in North America for reversible heat pumps would go further to reduce our nation's emissions than any bill an activist has ever helped pass in the last 50 years.

Sans the sales campaign, why not install one in your own home if you're concerned?

I actually never thought of this until i took up the job of doing webpage design for an Italian PTAC/mini split manufacturer and was looking over their specs and noticed that the unit both does heating and cooling.. :lol:

Also why the hell do we have water tanks instead of boiler units as they do in the UK?

Also why did my car gain 5mpg by putting some pieces of cloroplast on it, why weren't these shapes included with the car?

What other low hanging fruit are we completely ignoring while begging out governments to do something about our environmental footprints? Where's the consumers putting their mouth where their money is?

markz said:
Wasting land to grow fuel is probably why.

How would you be wasting that contaminated reservoir? You were hoping to bottle it? Some it's better than the alcohol they're growing, HOW is it wasting the land to switch over?

neptronix said:
I like that those things exist.. but they're more about feeling like they're doing something than actually doing something. Trust me, i know.. i was a political activist in my youth!

And they prefer the activism to being useful because actually doing something involves effort, struggle, disappointment. Pointing the finger brings such a sense of superiority. I'm glad I outgrew that. Picture me today posting against me in college. The flying monkeys would have been in awe.

But the time came to embrace reality and see the idle activists are just in the way. Do you know what politicians do during speeches? Nothing. Do you know WHY politicians love speeches so much. Because they do NOTHING! And then they act they made it all happen.

neptronix said:
What really changes things is lifestyle changes on the part of the consumer and the advancement and adoption of technology which can meet our needs for transportation and electricity in a cleaner way.

Personal energy use at home is only 20% of total promary energy. The rest is heavy transport, agriculture. and embodied energy in infrastructure, services. You can go to zero at home but this reduces your aggregate average by 20%. 30% if you have an electric car ($40,000) (or no transportaion) and have enough solar to power it. And your heat pump. Which in NY is 20kWh of solar system somewhere: $40,000. And 5 tons of ground source heat pump. which village dwellers will require 2, 600 foot vertical wells. ($40,000). And a grid connection with therma; generation for Winter. (Solar capacity gactor of 4% in Hanuary with many days in a row at essentially zero.

I thought you meant on a more massive scale, having 1000's of acres of shrooms for fuel, then just the few acres the waste lake is to grow mushrooms to filter the toxins and make shrooms into fuel, but yeah grow the shrooms on the waste pond. Better then healthy fertile ground growing canola for fuel, meanwhile people in Africa go hungry. Hopefully the birds dont eat the shrooms LOL like the birds on tailing ponds.

Dauntless said:
markz said:
Wasting land to grow fuel is probably why.

Maybe grow them on the contaminated land Mom used to own in Bexar County than they immenient domained to build a water reservior. No, it didn't get built, it was a land grab to bring in Toyota but the contaminated part is still there.

But you don't get it. They put alcohol in the fuel in the United States. Grown on land that would be better put to use growing mushrooms, it would seem.

sendler2112 said:
Personal energy use at home is only 20% of total promary energy. The rest is heavy transport, agriculture. and embodied energy in infrastructure, services. You can go to zero at home but this reduces your aggregate average by 20%. 30% if you have an electric car ($40,000) (or no transportaion) and have enough solar to power it. And your heat pump. Which in NY is 20kWh of solar system somewhere: $40,000. And 5 tons of ground source heat pump. which village dwellers will require 2, 600 foot vertical wells. ($40,000). And a grid connection with therma; generation for Winter. (Solar capacity gactor of 4% in Hanuary with many days in a row at essentially zero.

Imagine what it would do for pollution levels if that home primary energy figure was 5-10% because people decided to buy cheaper and more efficient heating + cooling systems. It's such low hanging fruit.

Imagine if people grew food in their backyard as standard practice, eliminating many of the toxic and fossil fuel heavy aspects of industrialized agriculture.

Imagine if North Americans started buying something other than trucks and SUVs ( the Ford F150 is America's most popular car.. )

Imagine if with the money saved from all the above choices, everyone installed solar panels and battery banks..

And ebikes.. where are those on the road in North America?

Surely there's more.. but.. an individual could cut their own carbon footprint by ~50% here in North America where people complain about some of the lowest costs for electricity and gasoline, yet never do anything about it.

Low hanging fruit sits on the table for all of us to pick, yet the environmentalist movement still aims to use government to force people to do what we should be doing for our own pocketbooks... the whole thing is so retarded.

neptronix said:
Low hanging fruit sits on the table for all of us to pick, yet the environmentalist movement still aims to use government to force people to do what we should be doing for our own pocketbooks... the whole thing is so retarded.

Between people being willfully stupid, and vested interests going to lengths to keep them that way, it's not good judgment but regulation that's worked in the past. Regulation got leaded gas away from us, and incandescent bulbs, and five gallons per flush toilets, and 10 mpg gas guzzlers. And people had the audacity to complain about all these things! Most folks aren't going to have high efficiency HVAC systems at home until that's the rules of the game.

I mean, most people have cars and children even though those things are bad for them and everybody else too. You can't depend on the wisdom of intoxicated vermin to look out for their own best interests.

Back