x5403 go kart anyone?

steveo

100 kW
you would love the torque on it.. still some fine tunning to do..

she needs a long gear ratio!!!

currently setup for top speed of 65-70km/h.. enjoy

niceee!

-steveo

Attachments

• k1.jpg
    k1.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 2,367
  • k2.jpg
    k2.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 2,367
  • k3.jpg
    k3.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 2,367
  • k4.jpg
    k4.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 2,367
Looks like a BLAST!

Very cool. Let's see a vid of it running.

I want to build one also. A 2 seater so I can take my kid with me.

Will post a video soon..

Some gearing adjustments first!

Steveo

Can you post your build material? I wana build a go-kart as well but don't know what parts I need. Thaks

Question: Isn't the x5403 (like the X5304) a directional motor? Meaning, with the angled stator laminations/windings, it's designed to spin only in one direction, and is lower resistance in that direction, but harder to turn in the other?

And isn't it mounted to spin "backwards" in your kart?

So, wouldn't it work more efficiently in the other direction?

amberwolf said:
Question: Isn't the x5403 (like the X5304) a directional motor? Meaning, with the angled stator laminations/windings, it's designed to spin only in one direction, and is lower resistance in that direction, but harder to turn in the other?

And isn't it mounted to spin "backwards" in your kart?

So, wouldn't it work more efficiently in the other direction?
My guess is the motor axle is mounted in a fixed cradle and the outside of the motor and sprocket rotates together in the forward direction?

edcastrovalley said:
My guess is the motor axle is mounted in a fixed cradle and the outside of the motor and sprocket rotates together in the forward direction?
Well, yes, AFAIK it has to do that because it's an outrunner hubmotor. ;)

But "forward" in this case is opposite of the direction it would rotate if it were on a bike--the sprocket is on the left, and the disc brake mounts are on the right, the way it's mounted on this kart.

Anyway, what I'm talking about is how the motor itself is designed inside. If you look at DoctorBass's X5xxx thread it's got inside pics of this series, and you'll see the angled laminations I'm talking about. Those make a motor "directional", meaning it operates more efficiently in one direction than the other.

amberwolf said:
Well, yes, AFAIK it has to do that because it's an outrunner hubmotor. ;)

But "forward" in this case is opposite of the direction it would rotate if it were on a bike--the sprocket is on the left, and the disc brake mounts are on the right, the way it's mounted on this kart.

Anyway, what I'm talking about is how the motor itself is designed inside. If you look at DoctorBass's X5xxx thread it's got inside pics of this series, and you'll see the angled laminations I'm talking about. Those make a motor "directional", meaning it operates more efficiently in one direction than the other.
Ah, I see. Very informative amberwolf, as always. 8)

Back