Yamaha FZR-8000 Genesis

kOwhCDW.jpg

Got some rear fairings for the bike, now I just need to redesign and print a middle section that fits between them and locks them in place properly.
QaTE5B8.jpg

The steel reinforcement plates for the swingarm mounted but not yet welded.

The Aliexpress seller who was supposed to supply the DC to DC converter gave up on sending me the one I ordered, so now I need to find another 96v-12v converter. If anyone knows of one that isn't too crazy big or expensive let me know.

Anders said:
The Aliexpress seller who was supposed to supply the DC to DC converter gave up on sending me the one I ordered, so now I need to find another 96v-12v converter. If anyone knows of one that isn't too crazy big or expensive let me know.

I have used this one and it looks to work well:
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32602054034.html

That doesn't look very good, 3 wires=not isolated. Meaning you have hv- in everything wired to the 12v. Very possibly the frame of the bike for example. The one I have on the ktm seems ok, and is isolated. Only 10A though. Adjustable output. I think larsb has something similar on his bike.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=103800

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1563318#p1563318

JPKOpYI.jpg

Swingarm reinforcements fully welded up.
uxiSUDg.jpg

Steel swingarm reinforcement mounted and crappy looking but functional motor power cable support.

Took it for a test drive yesterday, forgot how much fun this thing is. Quieter than a bicycle and similar if not more torque than the 600cc sport bike I also have.

waLBPo9.jpg

Finally got the bike speedo working!

QR6LHuq.jpg

Big 3dprinted spacer required to the get magnet gap right for the speed sensor.

46ptWbz.jpg

Started working on the last rear fairing bit.

Only thing I need now for the bike to be "Finished" is the DC to DC converter I'm still waiting on.

I'm using this in my kart, its very small and light.
https://www.mouser.ee/ProductDetail/108-HA1SV12008PRFA

Looked at getting one of those, looks very neat but 5x the price of the chinesium equivalent. Would use one if I had space constraints.

EZ73n29.jpg

Chinesium DC to DC finally arrived.
ALgRtP9.jpg

Working on the getting the parking lights working, a function I've never used on the other bike but apparently is very important. Seems like a lot of hassle to get something I'll never use working.

0nxTmci.jpg

Overheated the controller doing some 35kW pulls, so clearly need a proper cooling solution for it. In the meantime I just chucked in an 80mm RC EDF i printed a while ago for another project.

0mS8OkL.jpg

Cleaned up the 12v wiring a bit, still kind of messy but a lot better looking now.

BiLyyE2.jpg

Rear fairing panels painted white. Not sure I love the color, but it's better than the black with writing on it they were when I got them.

Sweden is the perpetual darkness seasons so haven't spent a lot of time in the countryside where the bike is. But I've gotten some cosmetic stuff done and hooked up the DC-DC converter.

wXwRjBS.jpg

Lockable Type-2 cable holder, made it use the cylinder for the fuelcap lock I'm no longer using, so it has the same key as the seat and helmet lock.

DB8Rota.jpg

Cosmetic 3d printed panels to cover the gap between the fairings and frame. Protects the thermal control relay for the controller cooling and all the 12v wiring.

Z0WgyUN.jpg

View from the drivers position.

Do you mind sharing the 3d scans with me? also planning to convert a fzr 1000 to electric.
thanks in regards.

Took a job on the other side of the country from where the bike is so progress has been very slow recently, but I did spend some time working on it in July. Most of it was spent trying to get all the systems I thought I had finished actually finished, leaving a project for months and coming back to it just as you've forgotten what you've finished and what's left to do is never a good idea.
But everything seems to be in order now.

uc

Managed to break off one of the acrylic fairing fixes I just epoxied in before, so I had to try my hand at some glassfiber work to make a more permanent fix.
uc

Cosmetically disastrous results, but seems fairly strong. Hopefully I can sand it down and make it look alright for painting whenever I get around to that. Using a better glass material than some cheap boat repair stuff would have probably made it a whole lot easier.
uc

Blew up my Chinesium DC-DC converter so had to pony up for a proper one, and got my 12v mess slightly less messy.

Now I just need to try to get an appointment for the last two inspections before this godforsaken country freezes over again.....

nJHnxVx.jpg

Last important addition before inspection.
1YepXRK.jpg

Roadworthyness inspector man on the bike! The kelly controller overheated during his runs but it still passed this level of inspection, only have one more left to do and that sounds like it's more of a formality. The inspector seemed overall impressed with the bike though, he said something along the lines of "It's great fun, very hard to obey the speedlimit" and he had it up to 115km/h so at least we know it goes that fast.

Next on the to do list is to try to sort out the leaking front forks, put some new brake pads in and implement some sort of controller cooling.

Blew up my Chinesium DC-DC converter so had to pony up for a proper one, and got my 12v mess slightly less messy.

Join the club, went with a cheaper converter. Think the vibration took it down. Was standing next to the bike when it let the magic out. Went with a potted one more money but should last.

Very cool project. Did you manage to get the bike registered? Any updates now that you’re able to ride it more?

I’ve converted your bike’s little brother, a 1987 FZR250 with a 6kW hub and also running 26s so quite similar! Just thinking about getting a faster charger and wondered if you use CAN with yours to control charging voltage or current? I have a BMS that talks to TC chargers so might end up getting the same charger as you as well!!! Did you buy it on Alibaba or AliExpress? Do you mind sharing which seller you used?

Thanks!

soyachips said:
Very cool project. Did you manage to get the bike registered? Any updates now that you’re able to ride it more?

I’ve converted your bike’s little brother, a 1987 FZR250 with a 6kW hub and also running 26s so quite similar! Just thinking about getting a faster charger and wondered if you use CAN with yours to control charging voltage or current? I have a BMS that talks to TC chargers so might end up getting the same charger as you as well!!! Did you buy it on Alibaba or AliExpress? Do you mind sharing which seller you used?

Thanks!

Got it from this seller: https://greenstore.aliexpress.com/store/708582?spm=a2g0o.9042311.0.0.27424c4dgDyWMV

Yeah the Orion BMS controls the charger completely via CAN, using its charging curve settings.

Awesome work Anders.
Great that you got the bike through SFRO. As I understand it there's SFRO1 and 2 before the final inspection?!

There's a pic of a type 2 connector inside the right fairing from Jan 3. I don't get it? :)
Can you explain what it does?

Some more updates on the project:

Upgraded to race-spec front brake pads and immediately found out they have no problem locking up the front wheel.....
R904e1n.jpg

equPGrj.jpg

Some new fairing scratches, luckily most of the damage to the bike was my 3d printed fairing brackets so that was a quick fix.

etLwzFp.jpg

Reprinted side panel bits with the temp relay controlling my current "temporary" controller cooling solution. It's just two 40mm server fans glued to the controller to force some air past the cooling fins. Looks terrible and is quite noisy but appears to work great.

Wc1p09R.jpg

Bike on asphalt for the first time! It's officially road legal now (kind of), just have to adjust the headlight angle and do a normal motorcycle safety inspection, but now it's legal enough that I can drive it on the road to the inspection place.

Jocke_D said:
Awesome work Anders.
Great that you got the bike through SFRO. As I understand it there's SFRO1 and 2 before the final inspection?!

There's a pic of a type 2 connector inside the right fairing from Jan 3. I don't get it? :)
Can you explain what it does?

There are two SFRO inspections, a "Build inspection" and a "Final inspection" after that you go to the "bilprovningen" registration inspection and after that you are just back to the normal safety inspections.

The type-2 connector on the right of the bike doesn't do anything except let me lock the EVSE to the bike so I don't need to bring a backpack to stuff it into every time, it's just a dummy connector with a lock.

Great to hear about new, better, pads :)
Sorry to see the crash :(
Hope you're ok?

I might be a bit slow here :)
Do you have a type 2 connector connected all the time (hardwired) to the bike that you plug in when charging at a public charging station? Do you have a "charge box" a home that has a type 2 plug?

Did the SFRO guys think the routing of the brake lines was ok. Feels like you should use the original routing for safety or perhaps it looks more ok in the flesh :)

Back