Yamaha Hub Motor

I didn't know that Yamaha ever made hub motors until I picked up thisImage(04).jpg

on a second hand japanese imported pedalec bike that I picked up for $150 at the LBS.
I haven't opened it up but it seems to be a brushed geared motor with a couple of interesting features such as having a round axle... the brake torque arm appears to somehow double as the motor torque arm, can't really wrap my head around how that works!

Also the wires enter the motor through the drum brake (neat).
Iv'e used plenty of drum brakes in my time and they are pretty shit, however this one seems to lock up the back wheel easily !

It came in a 26" alloy single wall rim running on 24v so I relaced it into a 20" alloy rim and upped the volts to 36 and stuck an ecrazyman 36v/800watt controller on.
Got good hill climbing torque but it top's out at 30 kph.

Anyone else have any experience with this motor?

Had a yammy rd350 when I was a teenager and can't forget the awesome acceleration even to this day ..... this motor is nothing like that :lol:

Matt

Cool take a pic of the other side of the brake cover.
Then again it could be a VERY LOW torque hub so as not to need a torque arm.

thewmatusmoloki said:
Had a yammy rd350 when I was a teenager and can't forget the awesome acceleration even to this day ..... this motor is nothing like that :lol:

Matt

Hehe, that little 2 stroke buzzer was a real race beast. I remember them too, I had some good rides on the rd400 in the late 70's.

The yam electric hub that you've found is interesting, looks like 10 yr old to me. Must have been designed for a scooter. I want to know about it, if you ever push it to higher voltage to obtain better top speed.

That's nothin, Kawasaki built battleships back in the big one! I had a CZ 400 two stroke single back in Cali. Chzeck built aluminum tourqe monster, that would break your foot if you were careless enough to kick it over and leave your foot on the lever. :mrgreen: I used to pull fence posts out with it. Cute little hub though.
Brian L.

RallySTX said:
That's nothin, Kawasaki built battleships back in the big one! I had a CZ 400 two stroke single back in Cali. Chzeck built aluminum tourqe monster, that would break your foot if you were careless enough to kick it over and leave your foot on the lever. :mrgreen: I used to pull fence posts out with it. Cute little hub though.
Brian L.
Ha! I remember this one too, built like a thumper. Not at all the same speed thrill though. Mirrors were useless on this one, for they were shaking so much that you'd see only blur. :twisted:

Hillhater said:
seems obvious to me ..the stator is obviously connected to the brake back plate
I didn't think of that. :oops: Cheers. Funny how what's obvious to some, others just don't see, though I never claimed to be very bright. :lol:

Lessss said:
Cool take a pic of the other side of the brake cover

Sorry Lessss, it's currently out as a loaner to someone who's bike I'm working on. When it gets back I'll pull it to bits.

Ok so it took a bit longer to get it back than I thought it would, so sorry for the late reply.
And it's been returned in a non functioning condition, stripped plastic gears.
Here's the pics I said I'd post ages ago.
The brake does indeed have 2 lugs near the centre that connect it to the statorbrake.JPGmotor.JPGThe gears are finished, anyone know if these things are a standard size that can be replaced ?View attachment 3cogswell cog.JPGIt's a pretty old motor.yamaha x1000.JPG

Yamaha should have known better than to use plastic gears. I can't wait till the motorcycle companies try their hand at better hubbies. The ebike industry being ruled by pedalists really holds things back when it comes to what I consider acceptable power levels, so DIY is all we got for now.

How all hubmotors should be built, as far as the axle and the torque arm are concerned.

How many of us would love to be able to just drill out the wire hole to say, 3/4 inch? Then bolt with perfect fit to any frame with no need to fabricate a torque plate? Duhhh. Wake up hubmotor engineers!

Yeah, the larger bearing is more expensive, but really, flat sided axles are stupid.

You should check Stock Drive Products for those double planet gears. They may be a standard metric size or could be put on a common shaft. I had an old gear motor like that one and it was one of the best motors off the line ever. Brushed and simple.
otherDoc

You should check Stock Drive Products for those double planet gears. They may be a standard metric size or could be put on a common shaft. I had an old gear motor like that one and it was one of the best motors off the line ever. Brushed and simple.
otherDoc

Thanks Doc, I'll check that out.

Anyone else find the name of this old motor interesting ........ the X1000.
Don't know if yamaha ever had hub making facilities or if I'm looking at the great great grandaddy of the X5xx series possibly made for them by crystalite.

Back