• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Your Creation's Before & After Pics

I have a liquid and/or air-cooled hub motor solution. But it will be a long while till I get to this project. Point is, it's very Very Doable. 8)

J

I've got an idea on an air cooled solution.. I just need to find a source for these in a smaller diameter-

http://www.sciplus.com/singleItem.cfm/terms/13633

Ooooh.... come on now guys, I want to see something that has been put into use, not vapor-ware :| The volume of cooling through the motor casing is greater that anything suggested here, with the exception of vanilla ice's idea 8) How about 4 small box fans, connected in series for 48v, with a snap-disc thermal switch in the hub :roll: The fans would run as long as the motor is hot, rather you're moving or not ! Simple yet effective 8)

HAL9000v2.0 said:
where would you put those fans?
I'd just use a thin (1/16" to 3/32") disc of aluminum, about 7" in dia. (depending on motor size) and drill a center hole for the axle. You'll have to make some relief cuts in the disc so it goes past the frame tubes, or fork tube, so the disc sits flat against the drop-out. Even with a rear disc brake, you should be able to fit 4 small CPU fans out side the the rear triangle. As far as the hole for the fans goes, I planned to drill many 5/16" holes where the fans mount, thus cooling the air as it pass through the holes in the aluminum disc.

HAL9000v2.0 said:
But if you look at my chart you will see that cooling the case from outside solve just a minor problem. Heat transfer inside motor is realy bad.
Sorry, what chart ? Blessings, Snow Crow

HAL9000v2.0 said:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=92720#p92720
Ok, I looked at your chart and your plan for cooling. The problem is this, (I had to dig out my physics book :wink: ) the thermal conductivity of Copper is 2660 k (k = Btu x in./ft sq. x h x degrees Fahrenheit :mrgreen: ), the Copper is coiled around steel, which is 320 k, Aluminum which is 1451 k is a good choice, but won't gain you much cooling placed up against the steel, and Air at 0.16 k is not that much help either :roll: Any way you look at it, the coil temperture is going to rise with 2.4 kW (1.2 kW avg.) going through them :shock: I take it the readings on the chart are "no pedel" ?

No pedal, abuse uphill 4km, even when speed dropped I didn't help with pedal. This is one of the worst cases, air temp can go up to 40°C.
I'll say cooling have to be at least 1,2 kw.

disndat said:
Ebike version 2-specs 5304 on 20"rear with 72v9ah of A123s,full suspension gary fisher"king fisher" bike with 3" chopper tires on both the front and rear.Sorry for the bad pic-its camera phone :cry:

I want your bike lol

good job man!

I think it was posed to be pics and not temps but then I digress. 1991 Schwinn Sierra looked allot like this guys bike when I bought it a few months back.

But now 1000 miles later it looks like this. I did add a GM motor with a couple new wheels and a lifepo4 battery. My first build and it is my daily commuter 20mph is tops, on the level, and 20 miles is about it for range but not bad for a 12lb battery. Geoff's remote throttle mod with a twist as the twist throttle has been cut off and is remotely operated by the good arm by the left twistgrip. The bike is not overly heavy at 60lbs and handles fine with all the weight in the back unless I am careless on the mount or diss-mount. I have only filled my car with gas twice in the last four or so months. Two more builds going at the moment a front hub C-light and a BMC rear geared. Much of the information for the build was gleaned from the many pages of this forum so thanks for the help I appreciate it.

Probly should add the as it is now pic since things change. Got the weight down lower and it handles better now. The panniers would like to fall off if they get teh chance so I have modded the mounting several times before I got it right.

bikeriverrtsm.jpg

48vlakesm3.jpg

N

View attachment 5View attachment 4View attachment 3View attachment 2[attachment=1]DCP_1308.JPG[/attachment]

I put on new forks w 7" travel, yamaha golf car lug nut for partially stripped rear axle, ride bike every day, some rear and front flats, continuous broken rear spokes, new rear fender extension put a welcome end to nasty water spray, so fun to ride bike to work and back, yes thank you for mention run motor cable out of motor down to prevent water intake, after every ride, motor is very hot, maybe bearings are loosening after 3yrs of hot use, I have new mirrors-not shown- use bungee through handlebars with plastic mirrors on each end connect to bungee, works great now, I am enjoying the ride...just keep spare tubes at work to fix occasional flat....rode last mile one day with front flat....had to go slower than if motor quit and had to pedal...cops watching me always...new front end nice and clean, had to adjust things to get back comfortable geometry...pretty close now...I have a bunch of wires about, no anderson connectors, 2 36v ping batts in series, charging now with 2 chargers, sometimes connect wires to wrong places, big arcs, no malfunctions, all connectors melted and need replaced, eventually...haven't checked the batteries lately...all is troublefree there...my mini xlr connector came apart one day...I didn't notice right away so I rode the last mile with no power...how embarrassing...it really sucks when get hemmorroid and ride bike...I wondered if they were related...I wondered about hemmoroid cause, as all other health perfect...the bottom line is hem inherited in dna...the last one had sugery right away to remove--external blodclot--now months later I get another one...I know doctor would say to have removed immediately...well I did not pursue the natural healing things I found previously for my condition, but now I took action...I figured I would cure my condition after having this next one cut off...so I ordered venapro and also from amoils. I really didn't even consider that my condition could be rectified without surgery...I am elated to have this obstruction disappear overnight with only a single application of the amoil treatment...no need to stop riding my bike, or see the doctor....so that is a miracle for me...hmmm...almost time to offer alternative battery for golf carts...perhaps the right size lifepo4, and maybe 11 cells, and then keep same charger...some pics of my bike, nice rear fender works...

Nothing to see here, folks. Move along.

Early 80's Araya CroMo mixte frame "Mountain Touring Bike" gifted by a neighbour Jan 1st, 2006. I'd tuned and repaired the bike for her and asked her to give me first dibbs if she ever intended to sell it.

The Xtracycle was scored off craigslist in August 2006. It was a virtually new demo-unit for $250 that came with an extra "SnapDeck", spare kickstand, "RockSteady" stand and a Surly singulator. I still gloat over that deal. The Xtracycle and my Arkel "Lady Bug" pannier/backpack are the two most useful and well designed bicycle accessories I've purchased in thirty years of active cycling.

The handlebar and stem were bought specifically for this bike after I'd added the Xtracycle in May 2007. The Kenda tires were cheap and gave it a truck look while providing a more cushioned ride.
The fenders, seat post, saddle, levers, shifters, Vee-brakes, pedals, PowerGrips and misc accessories came from various donor bikes in my collection. I paid real money for the saddle and straps but many of the other parts came from the trash or bought second hand at the community bike shop. Still, the replacement cost of the bike and Xtracycle would be ~$1000 before electrification.

Two24V 18 Ah NiMH packs are another thousand dollars. Controller, throttle, two 24V 4A chargers, a Cycle Analyst, 5304 rear hub motor, misc hardware and chemicals added about $800 more than I'd originally intended to spend. I've got receipts but haven't done a full accounting since the bike is not yet complete.

As it sits it looks like shit but still attracts attention. In the two years I've ridden the Xtracycle I could probably have sold at least fifty of them.

The batteries have to be removed from the FreeLoaders and securely placed forward of the bike's balance point to counter act the weight of the hub motor and free up vital cargo capacity.

These pix merely show the temporary configuration.
Security by obscurity is not the best method to protect ones investment.

Attachments

• le béte before.jpg
    le béte before.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 8,770
  • le béte after detail.jpg
    le béte after detail.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 5,809
Zoot Katz said:

Early 80's Araya CroMo mixte frame "Mountain Touring Bike" gifted by a neighbour Jan 1st, 2006... As it sits it looks like shit but still attracts attention..

If by, "shit" you meant wicked-cool, then ya'.. it looks pretty F' n shitty 8)

Stevil_Knevil said:
Zoot Katz said:

Early 80's Araya CroMo mixte frame "Mountain Touring Bike" gifted by a neighbour Jan 1st, 2006... As it sits it looks like shit but still attracts attention..

Thank you for the compliment. It is a pretty frame and rather unusual for a MTB. The step-through design is convenient when carrying a passenger or top load.

Being my own worst critic, I'm not satisfied with the battery placement. The frame configuration makes it tough to situate the batteries where I want them but that's my fault. After reading this forum I ended up getting larger batteries than originally planned.
I've no complaints about the bike's performance. A 100km range at bicycling speeds suits my needs.

Here is Craig ( deafscooter )

Craig got the junk bike from my neighbor and I look on bike it can do modding this

I look at it and i feel to do Modding the bike into 12Kwatts and it will be "OX Power"

it will go above 60 mph & Hill Climbing at 40 Mph & it will range about 20-25 miles

will be using special custom made Battery pack ( I not use Lipo or Li or Lifepo4 Cell )

that handle up to 800~1000 amps peak current and normal current is 42 amps/hours

and it will use maxuim is 42 volts total in battery powered & it will about 50 pound

the Special battery packs will mount on side of bike frame like Saddle Packs both side
Cf

Here is "Cheap Bike" before mod the high powered bike as "OX Pulling power" E=Bikes

-
-
-
-
Craig
Deafscooter

Modding Projects Go to === >> http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6614

Zoot Katz said:
Stevil_Knevil said:
Zoot Katz said:

Thank you for the compliment. It is a pretty frame and rather unusual for a MTB. The step-through design is convenient when carrying a passenger or top load.

Being my own worst critic, I'm not satisfied with the battery placement. The frame configuration makes it tough to situate the batteries where I want them but that's my fault. After reading this forum I ended up getting larger batteries than originally planned.
I've no complaints about the bike's performance. A 100km range at bicycling speeds suits my needs.

The Araya Mixte frame may appear to be slender and delicate, but it has more lateral support than contemporary diamond designs, even better for Xtracycle/longtail builds.

Virtually all of the electric drive has been tucked away in the rear - which is stealthy -- but weight distribution is what, ~30/70?

I imagine that there is an aesthetic/visceral disconnect when you plop-in a 5-series motor @ 48V.. and it could not be shittier :wink:

file.php

Well done, Zoot Katz! If you have the wherewithal, please, I would really like to see a separate thread dedicated to this machine.

Stevil_Knevil said:
The Araya Mixte frame may appear to be slender and delicate, but it has more lateral support than contemporary diamond designs, even better for Xtracycle/longtail builds.

Virtually all of the electric drive has been tucked away in the rear - which is stealthy -- but weight distribution is what, ~30/70?

I imagine that there is an aesthetic/visceral disconnect when you plop-in a 5-series motor @ 48V.. and it could not be shittier :wink:

file.php

Well done, Zoot Katz! If you have the wherewithal, please, I would really like to see a separate thread dedicated to this machine.

The mixte frame looked like a natural for the Xtracycle. It still exhibits the renown "whip" of Xtracycles.
The Xtracycle was initially attached to a Scott Racing Pro frame that worked well. The geometry and riding position was more agressive. Putting the tall stem and North Road bars on the Araya frame made it the most comfortable bike I own and forced a different riding style. Suddenly slower was cool but the long wheel base and mass lets it go down hills fast.

The motor and batteries basically doubled the weight of a 60 lbs. bike. . . all of that weight went behind the center of balance. I figure it's closer to 20/80.

It still has low enough gears to pedal the beast home using the more circutous routes but the off-bike handling could stand improvement.

I'll document the battery boxes for the NiMH when I get around to building them. The design objective is to be able to lift the unloaded ebike-Xtracycle off the ground with one hand. Lithium is definately in this bike's future.

Fact is that before I bought the Xtracycle my view of ebikes was somewhat cynical. After two days of riding it I started thinking about motors. Two years later, I have one. While I still ride my other bikes I have been swayed by the "dark side" ;)

Some more after pics

Had the bike working for about 2 months. Riding it off road and a little on the street.

Here are some of the latest pics.

Attachments

• BikeBlogFinMotorDisc.JPG
    BikeBlogFinMotorDisc.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 7,499
  • BikeBlogFinContr1.JPG
    BikeBlogFinContr1.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 7,494
  • BikeBlogFinContr2.JPG
    BikeBlogFinContr2.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 7,486
  • BikeBlogFinCont3.JPG
    BikeBlogFinCont3.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 7,496
  • BikeBlogFinTorqArm.JPG
    BikeBlogFinTorqArm.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 8,252
  • BikeBlogBikeFin2.jpg
    BikeBlogBikeFin2.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 7,427
Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmFyN0vGlBw

Quick video of me riding in back yard

Wimpy video but better than nothing.

This is the 1st video I have uploaded to youtube.

Any one know you I can put a picture link vs putting a hyperlink?

Back