Zero DSR Aftermarket Chargers

I'm looking to buy a Zero DSR, with their "Power Tank" extra battery for longer range. I also want faster J1772 charging, but can't also fit the OEM fast charger. So what is the best thing going right now for an aftermarket charger? Hoping to get close to 10 kW charge rate. It seems that DigiNow has stopped production - what other choices are there? Thanks!

You can series and parallel whichever waterproof Meanwell LED PSUs would give you teh voltage and current you need. Won't be small or light, however, as they are around 7-8lbs each, and about the size of a trade paperback book, and you'll need several. The HLG series, like the HLG-600H-54A, is probably your best bet; they're weatherproof and potted/sealed against vibration, etc. as well. (I use one mounted to the bottom of my SB Cruiser trike, permanently wired in, as my primary charger; has worked fine for years).

I don't know what voltage your system is, but if it's like some other Zeros, it'll be 28s, so you would use the HLGs in "2s" (two seriesed together) wiring. Since each pair wired like that will produce about 1200-1400w (about 116v at 11A, maybe 12A), then to get 10,000w out of it you'll need 9 pairs (18 total) in parallel. Let's say 8lbs each including wiring and mounting hardware, means about 144lbs of charger, about the size of a small set of encyclopedias.

I'm not familiar with single-unit chargers that output 10kw, so I don't know how those compare to this solution.

Whatever you use has to be waterproof and vibrationproof (so probably potted and sealed), or has to be enclosed within the bike's waterproof areas, or has to be in add-on waterproof mounting boxes (which must also have ventilation if the chargers have fans, complicating their waterproofing; if there are no fans then the boxes must simply be metal capable of heatsinking the chargers' waste heat, which will be very high at 10kw of charging power, anywhere between 2000w to maybe 4000w of waste heat, dpeending on charger efficiency).

Back