Steve Jobs

gensem

100 kW
I just saw that Steve Jobs died... im not really a big fan but I still feel somehow sad.
I wish that the ebike comunity had someone like him pushing the envelope.

RIP Jobs

gensem said:
I just saw that Steve Jobs died... im not really a big fan but I still feel somehow sad.
I wish that the ebike comunity had someone like him pushing the envelope.

RIP Jobs

I have many thoughts on Jobs, mostly negative ones but a lot of people believed in him. My condolences to his family.

I think he was 56... still too early
I gotta tell that my ebike commute sometimes its the only thing that makes happy in bad days... passion...

Steve was passionate (they say), he was ahead of the curve he could make unthinkble eletronics and had alot of funds.. but he couldnt stretch hes time...

=(

Anyone else think he was kinda a control freak who missed out on big opportunities to help the world, and missed that the path to the future is through open development?

I grew up as a Mac child and even emailed Jobs a couple times. I will miss him, but really it's a good thing cause I can find out more about his secretive life in his new authorized biography coming out soon!!

liveforphysics said:
Anyone else think he was kinda a control freak who missed out on big opportunities to help the world, and missed that the path to the future is through open development?

Yes, but helping others was never going to be part of the main equation.

Thats the problem with big companies...
Sony for instance... they treat their costumer like 5 old kids.
But I agree that Apple has another level of control... it has to be some sort of mind control, not having adobe flash, blocking usb, file transfers, etc.... and still be the market leader.
I was trying to not bash apple because the man died, but ohwell.
I still think that Steve Jobs in the ebike world would help, he could come with a kit like Bionx all locked up. If the kit was good, China as good copy cats they are would just copy the design and make it "open source" forcing Apple Ebikes to come with something better every time.

:)

hmmm... a bunch of guys sitting around, dissing Jobs, while typing on their personal computers (which, imho, happens to be the greatest open development tool ever created). a bit hypocritical, methinks. i'd say he did just fine.

Sad, so many people dieing of cancer these days, 56 is way too young for sure.

RIP. :(

I agree that Apple could have shared more, and more of us would have benefited, but at the same time, how many Apple products have been counterfeited?

I have heard of a few, but maybe there would have been more cheap knock-offs, I never quite got why Apple has stayed in their own world for the most part, but hey, they have been wildy successful with things like the Ipod and Iphone, although I have not been happy with some of their products, I know a lot of people who love them.

It will be interesting to see how much of Apple's innovation and success will remain with out him, I wish them well.

A new product has been released by Apple...

Hot on the heels of IQuit, comes IDied. :mrgreen:

Not an apple fan, as you may see. Open source - always.

Even more ironic, since work is getting me an Iphone - today. First apple product I have ever owned.

His legacy can't be denied. Everything he did was revolutionary. You can tell because he would make something great and everyone else would try to copy it and do it badly. He will be missed.

Mac
iPhone
IPod
IPad

Apple has the best selling computer, smartphone, music player and tablets. Enough said.

5573111061_9121e258c9_z.jpg

Steve Jobs, Riding his R60/2 BMW Airhead.

yea 56 sorry.. My father in law died at 64 which was also way to young.

That's the thing about funerals - they suck , but boy do they make you appreciate what you have.

Very sad indeed, not a crApple fan myself, at all, but no doubt
Steve Jobs has done much for the industry, was shocked when i
saw recent pics in the local news paper (i even posted them here
on ES somewhere
) of him he was wasted away to nearly nothing
watched cancer eat me father and grandmother away its such a terrible thing...

KiM

liveforphysics said:

YES YES & MORE YES. :shock:
That's my big problem with the guy and his company. Apple has great ideas, great aesthetics, great useability, but they want to cater to the upper to middle class and rape you for replacement parts while selling you often badly designed hardware!

I think they missed an opportunity to destroy Microsoft and want to remain a niche product seller with high margins..
Overall... Apple grosses me out. I've seen the quality of their hardware as a former Apple tech and can't recommend it to anyone. For example i have bought cheap $20 laptop chargers for my girlfriend's macbook that were built with higher quality components than the what.. $80 charger they sell?

But you have to give the man credit for what he did. He was indeed a visionary and always a few steps ahead of his time.
The competition does not have class, good design, or their finger on useability like Apple does. Nobody comes close.

I just hope the company moves in the direction of serving the common man. I may actually ditch Windows and end my 10 year abstinence from Apple products if so.

So pour one out for our turtlenecked brother and cross your fingers that Apple loses it's elitist attitude.

Yeah, If we had a closed-source Steve Jobs of ebikes, nearly everyone in the developed world would ride. That would be awful.

I welcome anyone to try.

ptd said:
hmmm... a bunch of guys sitting around, dissing Jobs, while typing on their personal computers (which, imho, happens to be the greatest open development tool ever created). a bit hypocritical, methinks. i'd say he did just fine.

You know... Apple didn't invent the personal computer.. right? :lol:

How long will it be before the Republicans start blaming the loss of Jobs on Obama?

neptronix said:

He didn't invent smartphone, the portable music player, or tablet either. That didn't stop him from making the best in each category.

ambroseliao said:
neptronix said:

He didn't invent smartphone, the portable music player, or tablet either. That didn't stop him from making the best in each category.

In your opinion, crApple phones suck ass IMO Android phones kick their butt... crApple phones
are a nice stepping stone to a real smart phone i guess... :mrgreen:

sico said:
Philistine said:
His death is going to shake Apple to its core....

The Apple empire will crumble ...

Will that make it an "Apple Crumble" company :p sorry...couldn't help myself :mrgreen:

KiM

Back