2000+ year old battery?!

Well, maybe a cell? If you have not, take a look at the Baghdad Battery-

BAGDAD$20BATTERY$20JPEG-new.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baghdad_Battery

~2 volts.. how many amp hours?!

:?

-Stevil

That's one way to disguise your EV batteries....

Has to make you wonder. Even the ancients preferred electrical power. The pharaohs probably tried to shut them down, thats why they disguised them as little liquor bottles . :!:

Antique batts in the news again "The First Ever Battery", here:
http://gizmodo.com/the-first-ever-battery-1521247211

Most of the time when something is dug up, it is relatively easy to figure out what it was used for from a variety of sources, documents, wall pictoral engravings, etc These batteries have no information, so it is speculated that the current was used to plate coins, making base-metal counterfeits look silver, etc

Didn't have to be perfect, just enough to fool a half-drunk trader/sailor/soldier from "out of town"? Still no definitive proof, though...

Watts generally nEVer mentioned in these reports? Scuttle butt is, a horseless chariot was found in the same tomb.

jackatfsi said:
Cut to the chase....what did the bike look like ??? :twisted:

Very similiar to the one they found in the Pyramids.
download.jpg

Musta caught him on a bad day (no power assist). He (his head) looks in a fowl temper.

Melbourne said:
jackatfsi said:
Cut to the chase....what did the bike look like ??? :twisted:

Very similiar to the one they found in the Pyramids.

You're a good artist. Want to sketch your concept of an aero fairing in the aero thread? Im going to 3d print and test and refine to find whatever design works best. Looking for starting designs.

With respect to the ancient battery, it's amazing it didn't corrode itself apart to just metal salts by now. My guess would be they also knew about electromagnetics.

agniusm said:
So they had a battery with no means to charge it?!

I guess its more like a fuellcell. not a rechargeable battery.
They swaped maybe the electrolyte after use.

Now they wont tell us the mystic electrollyte composition becouse we could build our own batterys for cheap and as often we want :mrgreen:

agniusm said:
So they had a battery with no means to charge it?!

Hehe... I might suspect Maestro Benny F mighta told them to "go fly a kite", but perhaps they already got that "angle". (I hope I am not being TOO obtuse, but there might be an angle there.)

You guys do not give early cultures enough credit.

It's not like human beings were less smart, likely the opposite. Just because we assigned some names and took measured observations of various effects we see and call it science doesn't mean we understand the nature of reality any better.

Human science is like stamp collecting. You look and label and try to measure observations of things. At no point are you understanding what's happening, you only need to peek a layer deeper to immediately discover we have only an extremely superficial comprehension of reality. The light coming off my phone screen along with how the lithium ions intercalated to be stored to power it, and the gravity holding me down while I type it all all complete utter mysteries. It's simply that we assigned a name to what we observed and quantified rates of things to enable predictions of how things superficially appear to behave, combined with human ignorance only rivaled by our arrogance that makes us think otherwise.

Hopefully, folks here might agree that species had more "smarts", individually plus culturally. I recognize "chinese junk", for example, but junk ie as in a machine to use "wind pressure" for transportation on water (and other folk for travel on land, plus through the air (sorry to split our atmospheres).

Oh. And us creatures sometimes appreciate and collect and admire things that are "flawed" (by scientific grading aka "engineering", and in many respects can be "artistic").

(And yes, I have "collected" lots of stuff. Coins, stamps, horse brasses and western north "America" shoe buckled spurs and copper wires come to mind offhand.)

"At no point are you understanding what's happening..." Then, or now (always, and not entirely perhaps)?

"... we have only an extremely superficial comprehension of reality."
But some might agree it's more fun for us, seeing "altered reality". (HowEVer one might define THAT r word. And I am sorry I use "the R word" twice.)

"quantified rates"... Watt sometime "fluctuates", perhaps.

"predictions". Oh goody! Yep. Pretty sure I still got that Ebiker crystal ball here somewhere.

"human ignorance". But it's so malleable! Hehe... Yer right 100% too, about arrogance(period).

The only trick maybe to "thinking otherwise"? Correct mistakes to improve things in the future (and to pass along findings - though some may appear as "hieroglyphics" and may take generations of time to "desipher", if EVer.)

One nice thing writing, eh? (Sorry `bout that. Odd hoser-speak.) I can read stuff written by guys in my family back to the late 1800s.(Sorry if any of the above was just "verbal diarrhea" to any.)
L
PS "Welcome to Bicycle Industry Group on LinkedIn" Oh oh. Hehe...

Back