Sony Konion V3

E-Fuel

10 W
Hi Guys,

Do we have to balance the cells of KONION V3 ?
What is the maximum cell we should use to form a pack?
we should do in small packs for better results / durability of batteries?

Thanks in advance

sony Konion cells should be normally drift free, but just to be safe i would check the voltage every few weeks or so (for example with a "Junsi Cell Log").
There is no limit in maximum cells in one pack. You can form the battery like you need it.

Hi ypedal.
I'm doing a Konion pack right now, just about done charging, then testing.
Could you explain a little more in depth why you say preferably full charge?
After testing they will be like 3.6, was just going to assemble with them at that to save individual charging, but I've got a pretty fast individual setup now, so if necessary I will do that.
Thanks!

@ yuyuyak
you don't have to charge every cell. Just check the voltage before build them together.
If the cells are new and not harvested from some power tool packs, they should have all exactly the same voltage.

For my pack i ordered 200 konion vtc4 and every cell i measured 3,55 volts. Drift is only <10mV over entire pack for so far.

Thanks madin88.
I charged all mine to full because I'm going to make a computerized tester to log capacity and IR before the build. So I was ok with that, just would be nice to skip charging again after the tests, as I intend to bleed them down to 3.6 at that point. After the build I'll probably just bulk charge, haven't really decided.
Ypedal has good advice over the years so I am curious as to his statement about "preferably fully charged", unless he was referring to having them all in the same ballpark, which I do comprehend.

Charging them all to 4.20v and letting them sit for a few days will quickly weed out the stinkers, anything that holds 4.17v + is golden, anything that drops below 4.15v should be set aside.. ..

Cells with resting voltage of 3.6x volts can have a fairly wide range on the full charge end of the scale, best to sort them out fully charged imo....

lithium cells do not self balance, if you intend to run a pack without a BMS, it's vital that none of them go over 4.20v. it's perfectly ok if you have a range of voltages within a pack, but only to an extent that does not affect usable capacity.

Ypedal said:
Charging them all to 4.20v and letting them sit for a few days will quickly weed out the stinkers, anything that holds 4.17v + is golden, anything that drops below 4.15v should be set aside..

Thanks for this info.
I'm maybe going to build a pack of 264 cells (22s12p 18650 size). How much cells do you think i have to set aside if i select them as you suggest?
Can i built packs of 20p or more or must i charge every single cell?

yuyuyak said:
Thanks madin88.
I charged all mine to full because I'm going to make a computerized tester to log capacity and IR before the build. So I was ok with that, just would be nice to skip charging again after the tests, as I intend to bleed them down to 3.6 at that point. After the build I'll probably just bulk charge, haven't really decided.
Ypedal has good advice over the years so I am curious as to his statement about "preferably fully charged", unless he was referring to having them all in the same ballpark, which I do comprehend.

you log capacity and resistance of every cell before the build?
Of course this is good, but what do you do with the not so average cells? You will get many of them. Throw them away?
This is not practicable for big battery packs and much to expensive for most people..

E-Fuel said:
Hi Guys,

Do we have to balance the cells of KONION V3 ?
What is the maximum cell we should use to form a pack?
we should do in small packs for better results / durability of batteries?

Thanks in advance

Where are you guys getting Sony Konin v3 from... link me plss

Back