22s 1P Li-po - Parallel questions

MartyMcfly1

10 mW
Hi all,

I'm currently running 22s Tattu Li-po battery packs, three 6s packs, one 4s pack. For a nominal voltage of 81.4v and fully charged voltage of 92.4v (10,000 mah 25c)

I have a spare (identical Tattu 6s pack) my question is would it be possible to wire this one pack in series? I think not, I'd need twice what I have now to be running 22s 2p?

I also have the equivalent li-po's manufactured by Hobbyking. Blue Packs. Three 6s and one 4s, same as current setup, these are rated 12-24c. Would I be fine running these in parallel to support my Tattu batteries? Same capacity, same cell count, same voltage.

Provided this is safe, I'd get less voltage sag under load. Running a Sabvoton 72150, at the full 150a. With a Grin Cycle Analyst V3 with safeguarding parameters to prevent me going below 'safe' voltage. The mossfetts are rated 100v and I've had no issues running this setup at this voltage for years & 3.5k miles. I'm just thinking I have too many 'spare' batteries laying around I could be putting to use, extending my capacity to 20ah, with less sag under heavy load.

Photos attached of batteries.

Attachments

• 20220830_084352.jpg
    20220830_084352.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 5
  • 20210825_190942.jpg
    20210825_190942.jpg
    862.2 KB · Views: 4
By having my 22s cells in series, adapting my harness to take the other 22s worth of cells in parallel, what would this battery identify as? 22s 2p? As I'd have one spare cell in parallel to assist its partner cell in series?

Ok, so to get this clear...

you have a group of battery packs that total up to 22s (81.4v Nominal)

You have a 2nd group of LiPo units that are rated out to be also 22s if you sling them in series.

So you have no battery protection, no management in place, and are pushing some serious juice through your system, over-loading the battery units that you currently have because the motor is reaching for more amps than your battery pack can currently give it.

So your desired solution is to ad a parrellel unit of *entirely different cels, manufacturing and chemical process, so you have effectively a 22s2p battery pack.

There are a lot of varying opinions on the value of a BMS etc etc... I have not seen anyone say "Yeah, run Lipo and Li ion batteries together, it will be fine"

I would suggest not doing such a thing, I won't proselytize minimum safety elements, I will just say, if you want to fix the amperage load issue you are having, I don't think a multi-year old set of batteries should even be paired to brand new ones, I would suggest a new battery pack entirely that is matched units giving you the voltage and amperage you want.

I'm currently running 22s Tattu Li-po battery packs, three 6s packs, one 4s pack. For a nominal voltage of 81.4v and fully charged voltage of 92.4v (10,000 mah 25c)

I have a spare (identical Tattu 6s pack) my question is would it be possible to wire this one pack in series? I think not, I'd need twice what I have now to be running 22s 2p?
If you wire a 6s pack in series with a 22s pack, you now have a 28s pack.

If this isn't what you mean, I recommend you draw up a diagram showing exactly how you have hte packs connected now, and then another one showing how exactly you want to connect them, so we can be sure we are advising you correctly and safely before we proceed any further.

Back