linking 12 volt batteries together series/parallel

series/parallel
parallel connection between 2 12v batteries= 12v what power change will happen if i use those 12volts in series with the other 3 12v batteries
first 12volts being two batteries linked in a parallel connection making a 48volts from 5x 12v 20aH.
will this connection configuration harm my bike?

richiewithowen said:
series/parallel
parallel connection between 2 12v batteries= 12v what power change will happen if i use those 12volts in series with the other 3 12v batteries
first 12volts being two batteries linked in a parallel connection making a 48volts from 5x 12v 20aH.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdgq1-o1_8g perhaps this video will help.

richiewithowen said:
will this connection configuration harm my bike?

What bike? I don't see no bike.

Are you planning to simply take the main leads from your pack and clamp them to random points on the handlebars? That'd be bad. A joke, of course, poking fun at your obvious lack of foresight in asking this question.

Perhaps you have what you might call an electric bicycle or motorcycle? Typically you use a controller with these, controllers have a limited operational voltage range. Some come with pre-programmed low voltage cut offs, some will break if you apply too high a voltage to it. This all depends on what you are dealing with.

To put this another way, if whomever made your controller says that the maximum input voltage is 32v and calls it a 24v controller and you apply 48v to it, expect that to break the controller. Probably sounds silly to spell out this way, but that is what you wanted to hear, right? So ask whomever made your controller what the maximum input voltage is.

Yes do some reading or utube.
First do you have a multi meter ? All batteries must be of same voltage. It's good for use they have same capacity. Lead acid can blow up if hooked up wrong. Be careful.

I think he is paralleling two 10ah 12v for 12v 20ah then series that group with three 12v 20ah batteries for a 48v20ah pack.
Yes ~ if my above guess is true.
BUT I wouldn't as to ez to crash one of the old used pack ( s ) if used pasted 12ah or 14 miles, <> .
Just a guess with all my earlier guesses or supreme insight.

999zip999 said:
I think he is paralleling two 10ah 12v for 12v 20ah then series that group with three 12v 20ah batteries for a 48v20ah pack.
Yes ~ if my above guess is true.
BUT I wouldn't as to ez to crash one of the old used pack ( s ) if used pasted 12ah or 14 miles, <> .
Just a guess with all my earlier guesses or supreme insight.

no i have 5 12v 20Ah batteries no 10Ah bat #1-#2 in parallel
using the parallel 2-- 12v batteries 12v 20ah then series that group with three 12v 20ah batteries for a 48v20ah pack.

Or to restate it, a series string of 40 ah, plus 20 ah plus 20 ah plus 20 ah, will only deliver 20 ah.

In series, the weakest, oldest, or lowest capacity, battery will limit the whole assembly.

So yeah, you'd be carrying a 12v 20 ah that would not do you any good at all. It could be worthwhile, if you had three fresh good 20 ah, and two old crappy 20 ah. Parallel the two crappy ones, and possibly get as much as 15-20 ah from the old ones.

Back