Zero MX 2012 Battery Build

DrKraut

1 W
Hey guys,
i have a Zero MX 2012 without a battery.So i need to build a battery for it.
Does anybody know how much Ah they have. I figured out it has 14 cells in series. But dont know the exact Ah but at 3kWh it would be around 60Ah
Also very important, how much Amperes does the BMS draw from the Battery?
I really hope you can help me :)

Well the controller draws amps thru the bms from the battery to the motor. With the twrist of your wrist. The battery is the dumbest part as it will give till dead. Bms is trying to save the battery from itself. Also the battery is the most important part.

I'm aware of all that, since i study electronic engineering. But in cant find any information about the battery wich is labeled as ZF3. I only know they use 14 cells and the nominal capacity is 3kWh.
Also are they using the Agni 95 or a Perm Motor, no idea.
I would any information really appreciate :)

You need to find out what voltage range the motor controller allows and what peak current the motor can handle.

Also measure the dimensions of the battery box and calculate volume.

With that info you can spec a pack with the correct working voltage, current handling and capacity to meet your needs for performance, range or budget.

From memory the Agni motor is specd to take
200A cont, 400A peak. So I'd be building a pack that can handle 500A peaks, since the controller controls current you don't want the batteries themselves to be a bottleneck to power delivery.

DrKraut said:
Hey guys,
i have a Zero MX 2012 without a battery.So i need to build a battery for it.
Does anybody know how much Ah they have. I figured out it has 14 cells in series. But dont know the exact Ah but at 3kWh it would be around 60Ah
Also very important, how much Amperes does the BMS draw from the Battery?
I really hope you can help me :)

The 2012 base battery modules are 18s2p of EIG 20Ah 10C cells. This give about 75-76V full charge and 40Ah.

You can buy some Leaf battery modules or even Volt battery modules and get the closest Ah so you will probably be able to fit that in the ZF3 battery case.

The MX is using a agni motor and a Alltrax 72V 500A controller AXE7255 if i remember correctly so you can use up to 90V max. You might need to overide the actual MBB ( Main Bike Board otherwise it will not detect the BMS of the battery and wont start.

Doc

Docbass is correct the cells are 20 ah eig as A.W. does use. So eig 20ah cells two parallel, but I think hvc at 4.30v ???? There is something different about that quality cell.

999zip999 said:
Docbass is correct the cells are 20 ah eig as A.W. does use. So eig 20ah cells two parallel, but I think hvc at 4.30v ???? There is something different about that quality cell.

These are for 4.15V not 4.20V... however they work on 4.20 but this decrease their life, they are really made to operate at 4.15V

DOc

Thank you very much guys, my plan is to use Samsung 25R in 18S18P configuration. I'm going to charge to 4.1V or 74V, internal resistance of the whole battery pack should be less than 25mOhm !
Can i really put 550A peak at 72V into the Agni of the MX ? That sounds really high to me, i might reduce it to 400A or so.
Is it complicated to override the MBB of the controller, i need a programming cable for the AXE right?

Again thank you very much guys, so happy about the knowledge on this forum :))

550A for 18 Samsung 25R cells is too much. For brief bursts it might be ok but these batteries are no miracle.
You must reduce current or increase parrarel number of cells. for 550A I'd go with 35P instead. They will last longer and will not heat up much

The 550A are just peak for max. 10 sec.
Continuously the controller only draws 200A which are about 12A per cell, so no problem about that. But if i can i will reduce peak to 500Aor 450A
35P would be to heavy and expensive

This agni 95r is made to take 400a when used to about under 60v

The controller is rated 500a so they use it to 400a. They need to keep a safety margin..

However on my previous DS 2011 thagalso une a agni and alltrax controller i tweaked the parameters to 500a and had no problem.

Doc

Back